RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Can I add yeast nutrient to fermenter?

read 3487 times • 11 replies • posted 2/18/2012 4:42:32 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
malrubius 1676:27
Okay, I am pissed off and desperate. My Belgian IPA is stuck at 1.020. I tasted it and it is way too sweet. Can I add yeast nutrient (boiled/dissolved)to fermenter to try to dry it out? Thanks again for your help.

BIPA 1/29 2012
2.75 gallons

partial mash 45 min 157 - 145 degrees
5 oz Victory
6 oz cara hell
2 oz cara un

5.0 lb LME Pilsen
1.0 table sugar

.25 columbus 60 min
.125 columbus 45 min
.67 saaz 15 min
.375 columbus 5 min
1.0 amarillo flameout
.25 centeniall flameout

irish moss

Wyeast Belgian Ardenne

OG - 1.074
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
JoeMcPhee 8357:502
Hmm - Iíd try rousing the yeast and see if that helps or add some dry yeast to help it out. You really shouldnít need yeast nutrient in any beer. The problem might have come from those high partial mash temps on the front end. How long has it been stuck for? Iím not familiar with that particular yeast, but some of them can play funny tricks - maybe someone with experience with it will chime in.
2/18/2012 5:07:01 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Thanks, Joe. Itís been in the primary for three weeks at around 72 degrees (with a blanket next to the heat radiator). No change since last week. I roused it after taking the gravity last night. Itís the Chouffe yeast and I made a decent beer with it last year, but my house was warmer. The mash started a little high but if you look at the quantities, there is very little grain. Itís almost an all-extract brew. I think I may try some dry yeast. My other option is to pitch it onto the dregs of my brett golden strong when I bottle that next month and see what happens.
2/18/2012 5:20:07 AM

premium
Oh shit - I totally missed that youíre talking about less than a pound of grain. I agree with you - it could be that your LME isnít terribly fermentable - was this a new batch of LME by chance? Iíd go with the dry yeast - if it doesnít take it down, try your plan B of adding on top of the Brett yeast cake.
2/18/2012 5:28:38 AM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Oh shit - I totally missed that youíre talking about less than a pound of grain. I agree with you - it could be that your LME isnít terribly fermentable - was this a new batch of LME by chance?

Though it probably didnít affect it terribly, it sure as hell didnít help.

Iíd go with the dry yeast - if it doesnít take it down, try your plan B of adding on top of the Brett yeast cake.

You can try the dry yeast, but I doubt your beer will drop any more than it already has. That being said, you have three options in my mind.

1) Leave the beer as is and drink 3 gallons of punishment beer.

2) Add the Brett and wait a couple months. FWIW, I like Brett beers and all, but I donít think this is your best option to "save" this beer.

3) Dry hop it (which I think you should have done anyway) and when you bottle it make sure it has a little more carbonation than usual. High carbonation will reduce the perception of sweetness.

Oh, and by the way, try to never use LME again. The variability in that stuff is horrid. Extra Light DME is the only way to go for a beer like this.
2/18/2012 6:13:05 AM

premium
Aaarrrgghhh. Another three gallons of punishment beer? I didnít dry hop because I wanted the yeasty esters. I added a lot of Amarillo at flameout. Yeah, I am moving to DME in the future. Thanks.
2/18/2012 6:38:31 AM

premium
BBB63 6011:137
I use LME from Northern Brewer and never had an issue. If one of those "canned" products then I would stay away.

I say boil a small amount of water, chill and add some yeast nutrient and even a packet of dry yeast to it. Once incorporated then add to ferminator... and aerate the hell out it.
2/18/2012 6:42:15 AM

premium
Thanks, BBB63. The LME was in a plastic jar from Brooklyn Homebrew. Their products are incredibly fresh.
2/18/2012 6:44:46 AM

premium
Originally posted by BBB63
I use LME from Northern Brewer and never had an issue. If one of those "canned" products then I would stay away.

I say boil a small amount of water, chill and add some yeast nutrient and even a packet of dry yeast to it. Once incorporated then add to ferminator... and aerate the hell out it.

I donít think I agree on the aerating - you donít want an already sweet beer to end up oxidized as well. Maybe if you were to make a small 1030 OG starter you could aerate that to get the dry yeast up and running, but Iíd be worried about aerating an almost finished beer.
2/18/2012 6:51:48 AM

premium
BBB63 6011:137
Originally posted by BBB63

I donít think I agree on the aerating - you donít want an already sweet beer to end up oxidized as well. Maybe if you were to make a small 1030 OG starter you could aerate that to get the dry yeast up and running, but Iíd be worried about aerating an almost finished beer.

Damn good catch Joe... I did mean the "starter" of dry yeast and yeast nutrient

2/18/2012 7:11:00 AM

premium
Iíll pick up some dry yeast today. Canít hurt, I guess. I want to retain the esters from the Belgian yeast (although I really just a want a drinkable beer). Should I use 05 American?
2/18/2012 7:22:40 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add