Canada Calling - annual visit, and a request for London pub recommendations

Reads 1946 • Replies 26 • Started Tuesday, August 25, 2015 4:23:38 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

evergreen0199
beers 5929 º 15:18 Thu 9/10/2015

Originally posted by HogTownHarry
I’m really looking forward to that first pint of Sussex Best at Royal Oak tomorrow afternoon; flying out tonight! If I’m not too jet-lagged, I hope to stop in at Craft Clerkenwell later in the afternoon - if hotel check-in and smartphone fiddling all go smoothly.

If you are in the Royal Oak tomorrow, you really should try the excellent Harvey’s Waterloo Rye IPA.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 03:26 Fri 9/11/2015

Let us know about Saturday Harry. I will be in Bermondsey anyway. Just depends on your jetlag

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 03:47 Fri 9/11/2015

Originally posted by evergreen0199
I’m really looking forward to that first pint of Sussex Best at Royal Oak tomorrow afternoon; flying out tonight! If I’m not too jet-lagged, I hope to stop in at Craft Clerkenwell later in the afternoon - if hotel check-in and smartphone fiddling all go smoothly.

If you are in the Royal Oak tomorrow, you really should try the excellent Harvey’s Waterloo Rye IPA.

See, I was there for the first time ever in July and decided *not* to have that. Just didn’t seem right somehow. But then I guess it would be interesting to see how such a traditional brewery would do something so crafty as that.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 04:50 Fri 9/11/2015

Originally posted by Erlangernick

See, I was there for the first time ever in July and decided *not* to have that. Just didn’t seem right somehow. But then I guess it would be interesting to see how such a traditional brewery would do something so crafty as that.

Not crafty at all. A 200 year old recipe recreation thing. They had to use rye as all other grain was used in the war effort.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 04:57 Fri 9/11/2015

As a fellow tourist I could recommend a Holborn-Covent Garden crawl from Princess Louise to Cross Keys to the Harp with a Craft Beer Co. option. Probably something else obvious around there I’m missing.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 04:04 Sat 9/12/2015

Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by Erlangernick

Not crafty at all. A 200 year old recipe recreation thing. They had to use rye as all other grain was used in the war effort.

Where the hell have the gif smiley things gone? Christ, this website’s gone to shite.

Anyway, I’d post one of them face-palm smileys if I could. OTOH, it’s just as well that I didn’t have it, as it was the start of a long enough day, and I was lit up well enough without the loopy juice.