Carbonation levels of IPAs

Reads 27623 • Replies 15 • Started Friday, March 1, 2013 4:34:18 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 17:18 Sat 3/2/2013

Head retention is a very low priority when drinking a beer at home, but much higher when I’m at a bar. Perhaps push for 2.6 in kegged versions but 2.4 in the canned.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 17:57 Sat 3/2/2013

Originally posted by Gazza
Anything over 2 is just too fizzy.

That explains why I find brew dog beers to be flabby. To say 2 volumes is fizzy is so myopic that I can’t take it seriously. Beers are more singular and varied than to make a statement like that. Of course, it also depends on how you’re brought up re: beer..

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 21:13 Sat 3/2/2013

We do our IPA at 2.55 and our DIPA/black IPA at 2.6. I think we could go even higher for DIPA, like 2.8 but that’s mostly because I like it when the style is closer to a tripel in mouthfeel; super attenuated and sparkling.

Reid
beers 3523 º places 95 º 23:26 Sat 3/2/2013

I prefer less carbonation during the colder months..but in the high summer i love a high carbonation lowish alc IPA

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 03:44 Sun 3/3/2013

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by Gazza
Anything over 2 is just too fizzy.

That explains why I find brew dog beers to be flabby. To say 2 volumes is fizzy is so myopic that I can’t take it seriously. Beers are more singular and varied than to make a statement like that. Of course, it also depends on how you’re brought up re: beer..

Force-carbonated IPA is, of course, inferior to naturally-carbonated, i.e. cask- or bottle-conditioned IPA. Yes, of course it shouldn’t be fizzy.

-- A. Yank