Chocolate Flavor From Malt

Reads 3882 • Replies 10 • Started Sunday, May 4, 2014 1:23:42 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 13:23 Sun 5/4/2014

I just tried a Baltic Porter that has been lagering for a while, and was amazed at the chocolate taste, given that:
- It contains no chocolate
- It doesn’t even any chocolate malt.

The base was Gambrinus ESB, with a pound each of Special B, Brown, C-40, and half a pound of Carafa II for a seven gallon batch.

How do you get chocolatey goodness?

Danko
13:41 Sun 5/4/2014

Chocolate malt is only named as such due to it’s color, not the taste. A combination of malts with varying degrees of caramellisation and roasting along with residual sugars can taste and/or smell similar to chocolate. Special B tend to give dried fruit, brown+c40+carafa should be able to render a chocolaty end result.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 14:23 Sun 5/4/2014

Agreed that chocolate malt doesn’t taste much like chocolate at all.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 16:39 Sun 5/4/2014

Originally posted by t0rin0

I agree with this as well, but I have gotten somewhat chocolatey flavors in previous beers that I think were partially attributable to chocolate malt.

By the way, chewing a few kernels of malt is interesting. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t tried it yet. Of course you need to remember that the character malts you’re adding will only contribute a part of the taste of the final beer.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 16:45 Sun 5/4/2014

Originally posted by bitbucket
By the way, chewing a few kernels of malt is interesting. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t tried it yet. Of course you need to remember that the character malts you’re adding will only contribute a part of the taste of the final beer.

I always do this. Its a great (free) way to get to know some of the flavors that you’ll get from grains that you haven’t gotten around to using before.

fleetwoodfba
20:23 Sun 5/4/2014

UK chocolate is pretty chocolatey.

sylvia40
beers 6 º 09:36 Thu 5/15/2014

I used a pound of chocolate malt in a porter, no roasted malt, and it was smooth and chocolatey. Not sweet, but definately a nice flavor akin to chocolate. Used a 1/2 pound of 120 L crystal, too.

Sigmund
beers 13310 º places 446 º 11:07 Thu 5/15/2014

Originally posted by Danko
Chocolate malt is only named as such due to it’s color, not the taste.

Not correct. The flavour it imparts is an obvious cause of the name. If it was all about colour, how do you explain that there are both pale and dark chocolate malts?
However, I agree that also other malt combinations may impart chocolate flavour.

Sigmund
beers 13310 º places 446 º 11:10 Thu 5/15/2014

Originally posted by t0rin0

It does indeed taste like chocolate (unsweetened chocolate, maybe) when it is used liberally in a porter.

AAvgerinos
10:31 Wed 5/21/2014

Regarding the recipe in the original post, I’m fairly sure it’s the brown malt. In copious amounts it yields a sort of dusty cocoa powder kind of character. Kind of like a chocolate shortbread cookie. I typically use about a pound in my standard gravity porter recipe.

HornyDevil
11:08 Wed 5/21/2014

I know I’m a little late to this thread, but chocolate malt never produced a chocolate flavor to me. It produced an unsweetened baker’s cocoa flavor, but not a chocolate flavor. That may seem like splitting hairs, but in my mind chocolate flavor insinuates a certain level of sweetness, which chocolate malt does not impart. With that being said, the combination of chocolate malt and some medium-dark crystal coupled with a yeast that produces some dark fruit esters and a higher finishing gravity should produce the desired result.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer