RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Chocolate

read 898 times • 19 replies • posted 9/16/2012 4:29:10 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
Naven 1000:92
I would like to add some Mexican chocolate to my Imperial stout, but I am concerned because oil (fat) is in the ingredients. Seems that the general consensus online is that fat is no bueno. My back up plan is to add cocoa powder (liquified first) and cinnamon. I am interested to know how others have added Chocolate. Any problems with fat/oil in the beer?
Private message Send the author a private message

McGrupp612 139:1
How about nibs and cinnamon stick?
9/16/2012 4:42:52 PM

Private message send the author a private message

jbrana 471:33
I wouldnít use fat or oil in the beer, but instead think of how you could replicate the flavor of the "mexican chocolate" as McGrupp612 suggested. Cocoa nips in secondary is typically how most people extract a deep chocolate flavor, but you could aslo use cinnamin sticks and / or dried peppers in the secondary as well. If you use nibs, I would do at least 4 weeks in the secondary, however I wouldnít do longer than 2 weeks with the cinnamon or peppers as they would begin to take over past that.
9/16/2012 4:48:38 PM

jbrana 471:33
... or you could get a chocolate liquor and a cinnamin liquor and add them to your beer. Iíve added flavored vodkas to my beers before to gain certain flavors, and it has typically been successful.
9/16/2012 4:50:26 PM

premium
t0rin0 68:1427
Iíve put as much as 1 lb of dark chocolate into 10 gallons of imperial stout and havent had any noticeable problems with head retention. What I did notice though was that over time the chocolate started tasting stale. Kind of weird but it didnt really hurt the beer much. Not sure if Iíd do it that way again or not to be honest.
9/16/2012 5:18:21 PM

premium
Naven 1000:92
Originally posted by McGrupp612
How about nibs and cinnamon stick?

Definitely an option. I havenít really figured out the benefits of cocoa nibs as opposed to powder.
9/16/2012 5:19:07 PM

premium
BBB63 6122:137
cold pressed cocoa powder that has the oils removed.
9/16/2012 5:30:44 PM

premium
BBB63 6122:137
Originally posted by BBB63
cold pressed cocoa powder that has the oils removed.

http://nuts.com/nuts/cacao/raw-organic-powder.html
9/16/2012 5:32:12 PM

premium
CLevar 13
I just used cacao nibs in a beer today...donít really know what to expect, but I just tossed them in the secondary. They float (at least initially) and I hope to be able to just rack from underneath them. The nibs themselves tasted pretty strongly, so I only used 4 oz in a 5 gal batch.
9/16/2012 6:06:41 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by jbrana
I wouldnít use fat or oil in the beer, but instead think of how you could replicate the flavor of the "mexican chocolate" as McGrupp612 suggested.

A little fat isnít bad. Grains have fat in them, as does "defatted" cocoa powder. They donít have much, but itís still there. Iíve added regular cocoa powder when I couldnít find the defatted stuff and the beer turned out just fine.

As to the replicating mexican chocolate, I would use cocoa powder, ground cayenne, and powdered cinnamon. I prefer using stuff like that in the mash, but you could just as easily use it in the boil.

Originally posted by jbrana
Cocoa nips in secondary is typically how most people extract a deep chocolate flavor, but you could aslo use cinnamin sticks and / or dried peppers in the secondary as well.

From my experience, the only thing that cocoa nibs impart is the bitterness that comes from dark chocolate. Though I think that is important, you can easily get that from the use of highly kilned grains instead of wasting money, time, and energy on the nibs.
9/17/2012 6:21:36 AM

Unclerudy 12:3
I have used "dutchinized" dark cocoa powder in the past with really good results. The Hershey Special Dark works well for this in the boil. I used 5 oz in a breakfast stout, and got a nice chocolate flavor from it.
9/17/2012 6:44:03 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add