Cider and yeasts?

Reads 2929 • Replies 13 • Started Wednesday, January 6, 2016 4:56:21 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Countbeer
beers 6586 º places 259 º 14:04 Sat 1/23/2016

So today, after almost two weeks, I was planning on bottling my cider and throw in a pinch of brett for refermentation in the bottle.
Looks like a little mold floathing on top, yet the aroma is very nice and doesn’t give a hint of being infected, moldish tone or whatever... (See photo)...

What should I do?
Get the mold of and use the cider? Throw the cider away?

At least it looks like mold to me but it is also quite small and the smell of this cider seems tl be fine, a mix of sweet apples with little fermentation and some dust...

What should I do?

Bacterial
beers 3140 º places 134 º 14:40 Sat 1/23/2016

I would gently rack it into your bottling bucket and proceed as planned with the Brett addition. I’m not 100% convinced that’s mold - it could be the early stages of a pellicle developing?

Countbeer
beers 6586 º places 259 º 15:32 Sat 1/23/2016

Thanks for your view!
Just bottled it and even tasted a bit, apart from a bit sweet and dusty apple juice/cider, nothing crazy...
Let it stand now for 2 months before opening one.
Also had the idea there’s enough sugars to ferment, so no extra addition like honey or sugars...

Tomorrow I’ll start with a perry...

Cheers

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer