RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Ciders

read 835 times • 24 replies • posted 6/22/2013 4:06:02 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
CanIHave4Beers 3253:74
I find myself gravitating towards cider very frequently anymore, there sure are some awful soda-pop like ones out there, but there are more than a few great ones that are pretty easily avaliable. Iíve had a few very good ones that get slammed on here and for the life of me I donít know why. I know Iíve been annoyed about "head retention" comments in ratings before, but it is important to mention head when rating cider as some of them do have a head formation (usually that rises and falls like champagne)
6/24/2013 6:30:55 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
chriso 7352:371
Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
I am off to Somerset for this weekend for a short family holiday. Somerset is one of the best places in the world for Cider. I will be showing a lot of ciders a lot of respect.

The video of Johnny Rotten visiting Roger Wilkins for some German TV show is most entertaining if you can find it somewhere. It used to be on YouTube but seems to have gone from there.
6/24/2013 6:46:10 AM

premium
chriso 7352:371
Iíve visited a fair few cideries on the Eastern side of the US and, whilst there were plenty that I found very pleasant they were usually rather too well-tempered for my tastes compared to the funky, tannic, mouth-puckeringly dry scrumpy I was weaned on. I asked a few of them whether they had considered spontaneous fermentation and generally got looks suggesting I may have recently arrived from a distant planet.
6/24/2013 9:52:31 AM

premium
SarkyNorthener 1941:81
Originally posted by chriso
Iíve visited a fair few cideries on the Eastern side of the US and, whilst there were plenty that I found very pleasant they were usually rather too well-tempered for my tastes compared to the funky, tannic, mouth-puckeringly dry scrumpy I was weaned on. I asked a few of them whether they had considered spontaneous fermentation and generally got looks suggesting I may have recently arrived from a distant planet.

The original English Lambics.
6/24/2013 9:58:51 AM

premium
levifunk 12:
Originally posted by chriso

American cider makers are deathly afraid of natural fermentation and brett in general. Its odd.
6/24/2013 12:23:47 PM

premium
Travlr 11810:1515
Shelton Brothers brought these ciders in for the Festival in Portland, so hopefully theyíll be showing up in the US soon:
http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/cidrerie-traditionnelle-du-perche/13995/
6/25/2013 11:02:11 AM

premium
CanIHave4Beers 3253:74
Originally posted by Travlr
Shelton Brothers brought these ciders in for the Festival in Portland, so hopefully theyíll be showing up in the US soon:
http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/cidrerie-traditionnelle-du-perche/13995/

Theyíre here man! The Demi-Sec is fantastic and itís here in Des Moines, Saw the Perry in Iowa City, should have picked it up but I didnít.
6/25/2013 11:03:37 AM

finn1918 193:12
Where I live, you have to REALLY search to find any ciders that arenít Woodchuck, Angry Orchard, Fox Barrel, or Crispin. I have only ever bought one Woodchuck variety pack (some of my first reviews actually) and I admit to liking all but the Fall seasonal.

Iím glad that RB is home to the beverages that nobody else wants: Mead, cider, sake, and perry.
6/25/2013 11:31:02 AM

Tooch4321 11:
Virtue Cider Sidra De Nava...try it if you get a chance, youíll change your entire opinion on American made ciders. Well, pretty much anything they do...
6/25/2013 11:58:15 AM

premium
after4ever 6125:230
I love ciders. Lots of smart-ass comments in the bars around here lately about how theyíre not for men, but theyíre too good not to at least try each of them.
6/25/2013 12:21:39 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers