Cleaning Beer Glasses

Reads 2219 • Replies 37 • Started Monday, October 1, 2012 4:43:52 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

xscottypx
beers 104 º 05:32 Thu 10/4/2012

I use hit water and then wipe them dry with a bar towel. I rarely use soap. I guess I could use the dishwasher, I use low scent all natural soap.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 05:44 Thu 10/4/2012

Most beer glasses either have printing on them or are fragile, both of which a dishwasher will negatively effect. Printed glasses will eventually fade thanks to the heat of the dishwasher and thin/fragile glasses aren’t made to withstand the heat from them.

Is it THAT hard to get some unscented dish soap with a clean sponge/dedicated beer sponge and wash them like normally? It’s not hard to rinse inside and outside.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 05:52 Thu 10/4/2012

I wash my glass with soap every few days or so. I don’t see the point in doing it every day. If I don’t have beer in it I probably have water or liquor in it or something. After a few days use, it gets washed with whatever dishes I’m doing at the time. So yeah, dish soap and a dish rag after 3 or 4 days use.

Also really trying to stop using glassware with logos. I really wish the few glasses I really like would magically lose their labels.

haukur
beers 2184 º places 32 º 07:14 Thu 10/4/2012

dishwasher, then rinse. I was pretty spastic about this, dont care any more. Pepsiedcan, I feel you, nowadays I use stemless wine glasses from Crate and Barrell for every beer I drink ;)

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 07:18 Thu 10/4/2012

I’ve got 2 full sets of these and 4 total of the snifters:

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/spiegelau-beer-connoisseur-set-4991694.html?gclid=CK6V457G57ICFcxAMgodLEYAmw

The store I work at has the set for $25. Can’t beat that. Pair that with a few Riedel snifters and I’m set on glassware.

haukur
beers 2184 º places 32 º 07:29 Thu 10/4/2012

Originally posted by pepsiedcan
I’ve got 2 full sets of these and 4 total of the snifters:

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/spiegelau-beer-connoisseur-set-4991694.html?gclid=CK6V457G57ICFcxAMgodLEYAmw

The store I work at has the set for $25. Can’t beat that. Pair that with a few Riedel snifters and I’m set on glassware.

have this set, never use it. Find the tulip too small, hefe glass too big and the lager and pint glass I find no reason in using

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 07:40 Thu 10/4/2012

The hefe can damn near hold a 750 or a bomber that isn’t very foamy. The snifter is just short of a .5l, which is plenty big for me and bigger than most of the other snifters on my shelf.

kryptic
08:02 Thu 10/4/2012

Originally posted by keanex
Why are people so against using dish soap? Are you that bad at rinsing that you would drink your expensive/limited beer from a glass that has residue on the inside?

I don’t think anyone is really "so against using dish soap" as you so dramatically claim. Its just not necessary most of the time. Hot water works fine, and if there is still residue on the inside afterward, then you aren’t doing it right. (same with soap)

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 08:22 Thu 10/4/2012

Originally posted by kryptic

Its just not necessary most of the time.

This. It’s like reusing a plate that was used to serve bread. What’s the harm in wiping off the crumbs and reusing the plate?

KAggie97
beers 3529 º places 220 º 10:22 Thu 10/4/2012

Originally posted by pepsiedcan
I just rinse mine out when I’m done. Air dry.

Um, this is about beer glasses not your naughty parts.

I use dish soap and very hot water. I let the water run into the glass until the soap is all gone and then I let the air dry them.