RateBeer

Cleaning growlers

read 6849 times • 14 replies •

Thread Frozen

smith4498
premium
beers 3266 º places 20 º 13:42 Tue 6/22/2010

I have a few growlers that I wonít be able to get filled for a couple of weeks. What do you recommend cleaning them with? Is some kind of sanitizer necessary? I usually just use hot water and a couple drops of soap if Iím going to get them filled in a couple of days. Thanks for any advice.

Rustyham
beers 1802 º places 105 º 13:54 Tue 6/22/2010

here in nashville yazoo will just exchange your yazoo growler with a new one. Same for Blackstone brewpub.

TheBeerSommelier
premium
13:56 Tue 6/22/2010

Clean them as you would any other bottle. Really, since youíll be presumably sanitizing them before use anyway, all you really need is some warm water and some good shaking. A couple of times each.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3438 º places 209 º 14:14 Tue 6/22/2010

quite honestly, if you are going to get it filled at some point, just make sure you wash it out well, preferably with just hot water. Depending on the circumstance and how long you intend to keep the beer in the growler, you may not even need to sanitize. Hell, Iím fairly certain that most people that get growler fills arenít on this website and certainly donít sanitize. If you intend to keep the beer for a while, however, youíll probably want to consider getting some starsan and a spray bottle.

Frank
premium
beers 3469 º places 73 º 14:36 Tue 6/22/2010

Do brewpubs even sanitize them? I donít.

puzzl
beers 3257 º places 138 º 14:40 Tue 6/22/2010

I wash with hot water and dish soap, but I wouldnít trust my advice, because I donít know what the hell Iím doing. Iíve heard you should let them air dry with the cap open, as otherwise shit will start growing in there and they will stink, which is true, but when the cap is left open they can get a bit grimy inside as well, so I always end up just washing them again before getting em refilled.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3438 º places 209 º 14:46 Tue 6/22/2010

Originally posted by puzzl
I wash with hot water and dish soap, but I wouldnít trust my advice, because I donít know what the hell Iím doing. Iíve heard you should let them air dry with the cap open, as otherwise shit will start growing in there and they will stink, which is true, but when the cap is left open they can get a bit grimy inside as well, so I always end up just washing them again before getting em refilled.

Yeah, this. Except I donít even bother with soap anymore. Mostly because Iím lazy.

crizay
beers 1050 º places 128 º 14:51 Tue 6/22/2010

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel

Yeah, this. Except I donít even bother with soap anymore. Mostly because Iím lazy.

You sound like someone who doesnít wash their hands after they pee.

Ratman197
premium
beers 11356 º places 134 º 16:12 Tue 6/22/2010

You donít need to wash your hands after you pee unless you pee on them. In which case you have quite a problem!

Originally posted by crizay

Frank
premium
beers 3469 º places 73 º 13:26 Wed 6/23/2010

He rinses them though.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3438 º places 209 º 14:29 Wed 6/23/2010

Youíre right, I actually wash my penis before I pee.