College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227539 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 09:02 Thu 1/5/2012

Originally posted by jzzbassman
Originally posted by lithy
Is the SEC the only conference interested in defense anymore?

You would think the halftime scores of most of these games could have been finals. About to go to half with West Virginny up 42-20? Come on.

Everyone loves to praise these teams for their high flying, up tempo offenses that can "move it against anyone in college football". Anyone except the SEC it seems. Like Oregon, they all seemingly hit a brick wall whenever they go up against a top level SEC opponent.

This is more about football as entertainment value rather than football as a well played sport.

Poor tackling, horrible contain, safeties biting hard on courtesy play action, all around bad defense are hardly noticed. Yet the tackle breaking (despite horrible form), speed (despite terrible angles), and hard cutting (despite over pursuit) of the offensive players are constantly praised.

Geno Smith threw for 463 yards against the LSU defense, but we turned it over a lot that night. You mean, that kind of defense?

Don’t let boring, conservative, predictable offense be confused with great defense. Common mistake among SECers.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 09:04 Thu 1/5/2012

Originally posted by mgumby10
Christ, I wake up and the Mounties put up 70 last night?

Eric prolly is gonna forgo the couch and burn a fucking Wendy’s down.

I went with an Arby’s. You’ll read about it later.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 09:06 Thu 1/5/2012

Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
Also seems to have merit that Dyer may go with Malzahn to Ark State.

I heard that today, that is a bit of surprise.

Why are you surprised?

He is obviously following Kristi Malzahn

You do have a point. I thought he would go FCS or D2 to avoid sitting out a year. Tough loss for AU, wish I could say I felt bad for them.

Doesn’t make much sense to sit out a year to play at ark st, when he would be a draft pick after next year. Love to know what kind of issues this kid has. He hasn’t filed paperwork, so we’ll see in the next few days.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 09:11 Thu 1/5/2012

The next OKie Lite friend who tells me they aren’t gonna watch the BCSNC game because it will be boring is going to get falcon punched

Just sour grapes. So sad they were too bored to show up against an awesome Iowa St program.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 09:14 Thu 1/5/2012

OK Cheese... I’m in town a few more days, where we gonna meet to close out this AU/MSU bet? Honor thy Ratebeer wager!

OrlGamecock
14:57 Thu 1/5/2012

2 huge South Carolina players declared for the draft today... Alshon and Stephon Gilmore.

Good luck to them in the draft, maybe (big maybe on Gilmore) USC can have 3 players taken in the first round.

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 17:47 Thu 1/5/2012

Originally posted by hopscotch
Originally posted by lithy
Is the SEC the only conference interested in defense anymore?

You would think the halftime scores of most of these games could have been finals. About to go to half with West Virginny up 42-20? Come on.

Everyone loves to praise these teams for their high flying, up tempo offenses that can "move it against anyone in college football". Anyone except the SEC it seems. Like Oregon, they all seemingly hit a brick wall whenever they go up against a top level SEC opponent.

This is more about football as entertainment value rather than football as a well played sport.

Poor tackling, horrible contain, safeties biting hard on courtesy play action, all around bad defense are hardly noticed. Yet the tackle breaking (despite horrible form), speed (despite terrible angles), and hard cutting (despite over pursuit) of the offensive players are constantly praised.

Geno Smith threw for 463 yards against the LSU defense, but we turned it over a lot that night. You mean, that kind of defense?

Don’t let boring, conservative, predictable offense be confused with great defense. Common mistake among SECers.

Yeah, what was the score of that game?

SEC SEC SEC

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 17:48 Thu 1/5/2012

OH but I forgot, WVU probably just beat themselves LOL

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 17:59 Thu 1/5/2012

OH but I forgot, WVU probably just beat themselves LOL

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 19:58 Thu 1/5/2012

Anyone else watching the Under Armour High School Game?

Total blowout for the white team....hilarious in that the Longhorn Network ESPN was crowing in the 1st Quarter about most of the black team being Texas commits lol.

Best moment of the night was Landon Collins committing to Bama over LSU. His mom was PISSED and didn’t even try to hide it, told the reporter he should have gone to LSU.

Pretty weak. I’m a huge Bama fan, but if my daughter had been recruited by Auburn in soccer and ended up choosing it I would still be in her corner. As much as it pains me to say...it’s JUST FOOTBALL!

All that being said, long time before NSD, and hometown pressure might convince him to switch back.

Big commit from Cyrus Jones too.