College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227533 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 15:29 Wed 2/1/2012

Originally posted by JoeinEscazú
My obligatory Signing Day post:

MIZ-DGB

Our frosh QB James Franklin put up big numbers last year without any exceptional WRs (just a couple of good ones). Offense could be scary next year.

But how will it do against SEC defenses? Maybe not well, but it’ll be fun to watch.

Good catch for Mizzou. Taking a step up. Maybe a BCS bowl one day. I have several friends who went to school in Columbia and lots of relatives and older family friends who root for Mizzou. I lived 9 years in Arnold, Mo.

If you have a good, aggressive passing scheme, you can gain yards against the best defenses in the SEC. We did. They may, however, pound the living shit out of you on the ground and negate all that.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 15:30 Wed 2/1/2012

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Originally posted by hopscotch
Is everyone still lumped under Miami/Ft. Lauderdale or have some of you Orlando guys been able to straighten things out?

I’m still under Miami. How do you change it?

Apparently, you don’t. I sent a request in to the admins. I’ll let you know if I ever hear anything.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 15:32 Wed 2/1/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
...Let’s all pause and take notice.

247 ranks UCF’s class at 112th..

A moment of silence... and then a moment of "yeah, I kinda saw that coming with like only three commits by the time December rolled around."

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 16:05 Wed 2/1/2012

In my best Charles Barkeley voice... "Turrible. That’s Turrible."

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 17:13 Wed 2/1/2012

So are you saying the Big East really is better off now?

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 05:15 Thu 2/2/2012

Well, AU ended up with an ok class after a couple late commits including Avery Young. Offensively it is a very good class, but we missed on our big D targets. Only signed 20. Diggs is still in play and Kozan still hasn’t sent his paperwork in to Iowa. Jordan Diamond another 4 star OL has yet to announce, but it should be Michigan for him.

Despite it all, Bama and UF were the only ones with better classes in the SEC. 11 4 stars, Zeke Pike at QB, and a 1st team all-american full back transfer.

Guess this at least proves we aren’t paying players, eh? FSU must be...

Arkansas signed a pretty weak class for a team that has done very well the last couple years.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 10:07 Thu 2/2/2012

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 11:48 Thu 2/2/2012

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20120202/SPORTS04/202020351/Commentary-Chizik-s-classiness-shows-up-Saban

Yep, did I read correctly that Iowa and UF are the only other schools doing this 4 year commit thing?

Bama fans can spin it all they like, but what they did to Darius Philon was poor. It sounds like he was told Wednesday morning that he would have to greyshirt. There is another article out there from the AJC regarding the Taylor kid and his comments on the Nick Saban "process". Love most of the comments on that article. God forbid someone say anything negative about the Crimson Tide in that state.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 03:52 Fri 2/3/2012

It isn’t even worth trying to talk crap, now that things are so bad. 75% of our coaching staff turned over, we had a DC hired for 2 weeks, and another coach just took off who was here for a month. Our best recruiter already left in the wake of the NCAA garbage, which isn’t over yet.
However, we did have a couple good transfers who can contribute immediately. Phil Smith, starting OL from GA Tech. Tyler Gabbert, former 4* QB depth. Storm Johnson can finally play this year.

There is some promise, but the entire football program is still in shambles. We should have fired everyone at the end of the season, while we could.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 04:46 Fri 2/3/2012

Originally posted by GodOfThunder

It isn’t even worth trying to talk crap, now that things are so bad. 75% of our coaching staff turned over, we had a DC hired for 2 weeks, and another coach just took off who was here for a month. Our best recruiter already left in the wake of the NCAA garbage, which isn’t over yet.
However, we did have a couple good transfers who can contribute immediately. Phil Smith, starting OL from GA Tech. Tyler Gabbert, former 4* QB depth. Storm Johnson can finally play this year.

There is some promise, but the entire football program is still in shambles. We should have fired everyone at the end of the season, while we could.

We know J, we all know.