College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227485 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:49 Thu 8/4/2011

Originally posted by hopscotch
Oh, and the preseason polls? So cool. Hey, let’s rank teams right now. Why wait until after a few games? Hell, why even wait until twenty-five or so players on this year’s teams even practice or scrimmage?

I think many of us hear agree that polls shouldn’t make an appearance till at least week 3 or 4.

OrlGamecock
09:50 Thu 8/4/2011

Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by OrlGamecock
Originally posted by GodOfThunder
USA Today Poll is out!

UCF at #33! Not too shabby. Considering the team we stomped 7 months ago is in the Top 25, we got hosed. Only one Big Least team is ranked higher, our eventual Orange Bowl opponent WVA!

#12 South Carolina
#19 Auburn
#20 Miss. St.
#27 WVA
#29 Miami
#30 Iowa
#33 UCF

Looks like we’re all close. UCF will be the big winner this year, though!

I notice one team way out in front of all you other shitty teams. (We are ranked higher than everyone we play this year... Damn that’s a strange sight)

Clowney’s first practice, coaches told him that he needs to slow down and let the QBs have time to throw!

The crime in this poll is Georgia #22 and PSU #25..

Auburn at #19? Really?

This is college football, not the NFL. I don’t care what Auburn did last year. It’s all about this year... and this year Auburn goes 7-5 at best... and that’s because I like the coaching staff.

This is also why I say the same thing every year... do away with subjective polls in college football. Go with something very much like college basketball’s RPI.

No Playoffs, either.

I’m in. WVU loses one game this season, LSU or USF, ends up 12-1 and ranked ahead of all your sorry asses. Bring it!

LOL WVU might lose to LSU?!?! Get ready to get your ass handed to you in that game.

Auburn is ridiculously over-rated. As is Georgia... Just SEC credit and tradition I guess.

OrlGamecock
09:54 Thu 8/4/2011

Oh, and the preseason polls? So cool. Hey, let’s rank teams right now. Why wait until after a few games? Hell, why even wait until twenty-five or so players on this year’s teams even practice or scrimmage?

Hey! We practiced once already. Totally agree, but it’s part of the fun of college football. I think it would work better if they didn’t really include the previous weeks ranks into the new rankings every week as much as they do. If a team looks amazing the first 4 weeks that started unranked they should be in the top 10, but they rarely ever let something like that happen.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:59 Thu 8/4/2011

No one answered my question about the pick’em

How did you guys do it last year?

I’m partial myself to confidence points, outcome (not spread), and including all "Yahoo Chosen" games and all Top 25 games.

I’ll run it if no one else will.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 10:32 Thu 8/4/2011

Originally posted by TheAlum
No one answered my question about the pick’em

How did you guys do it last year?

I’m partial myself to confidence points, outcome (not spread), and including all "Yahoo Chosen" games and all Top 25 games.

I’ll run it if no one else will.

We didn’t do confidence points.
Outcome, with spread.
Yahoo chosen and Top 25.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 13:02 Thu 8/4/2011

Hey! We practiced once already. Totally agree, but it’s part of the fun of college football. I think it would work better if they didn’t really include the previous weeks ranks into the new rankings every week as much as they do. If a team looks amazing the first 4 weeks that started unranked they should be in the top 10, but they rarely ever let something like that happen.

I’m with you here.

Or, maybe have a preseason poll for fun, but then, like the BCS, don’t start actually ranking teams until week 4 or 5. Problem with even the BCS’s delayed ranking idea is that it includes the USA Today poll which, as you mention, is a bit askew since pre-season rankings affect rankings (to an extent) throughout the entire season.

Actually, I guess without including the USA Today poll, the BCS formula is pretty much like the college basketball RPI.

Yeah, I’m just gonna stick to not liking totally subjective polls. Unfortunately, the USA Today Coach’s poll is basically the USA Today Grad Assistant’s poll. Coaches freely admit they just don’t have the time to watch other schools play unless they’re scouting them out for an upcoming game.

Ok, dead horse beaten. Done.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 13:03 Thu 8/4/2011

LOL WVU might lose to LSU?!?! Get ready to get your ass handed to you in that game.

Well, maybe so, maybe not, but last year, with a completely inept offensive coordinator and offensive line coach and well, head coach too (since he didn’t have the balls to fire those two losers), LSU beat WVU by six in Baton Rouge. Same team that beat Alabama and Florida.

*One offensive touchdown for LSU - on a drive that started on the WVU 3-yard-line after yet another WVU fumble.
*Two missed field goals by WVU.
*Noel Devine injured on a first quarter, out-of-bounds hit that wasn’t called... and pretty much screwed up the rest of Devine’s season. Certainly screwed up his night.

Color me impressed by our chances.

But, I’m not an idiot. We could lose. We should lose. We might not.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 15:42 Thu 8/4/2011

TX AM is #9, seriously? AU is the lowest ranked National Champ since they’ve been doing the poll (Rightly so). We’ll take our lumps this year, but I still could see 8 wins and a ranking in that area to finish. Can anyone name Tulsa’s QBs under Malzahn? Don’t sell the guru short. We will put up some points and our LB/secondary play sucked most of last year, it can only get better with the talent we have recruited.

Here’s reality at AU... Only 32 of the 105 players that reported for the opening practice Wednesday are upperclassmen. A total of 73 (70 percent) are freshmen or sophomores.

We play 7 of those teams ranked in the top 25. SEC West again is the daddy of them all with AL, LSU, ARK, AU, MSU all ranked just in their half of the SEC. Add in USC, UGA, and UF from the east. That is just silly for a schedule just in conference.

Boise St and TCU can lick Cheeseman’s tits until they play a real schedule.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 17:01 Thu 8/4/2011

Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
TX AM is #9, seriously? AU is the lowest ranked National Champ since they’ve been doing the poll (Rightly so). We’ll take our lumps this year, but I still could see 8 wins and a ranking in that area to finish. Can anyone name Tulsa’s QBs undeir Malzahn? Don’t sell the guru short. We will put up some points and our LB/secondary play sucked most of last year, it can only get better with the talent we have recruited.

Here’s reality at AU... Only 32 of the 105 players that reported for the opening practice Wednesday are upperclassmen. A total of 73 (70 percent) are freshmen or sophomores.

We play 7 of those teams ranked in the top 25. SEC West again is the daddy of them all with AL, LSU, ARK, AU, MSU all ranked just in their half of the SEC. Add in USC, UGA, and UF from the east. That is just silly for a schedule just in conference.

Boise St and TCU can lick Cheeseman’s tits until they play a real schedule.

Boise and TCU can only play the teams on their schedule, which are mostly teams in their conference. Now, if they were located in the Bible Belt, they would probably have access to better athletes, no? If Auburn, Alabama, LSU, florida and South Carolina (not to be confused with USC, a team that has actually finished better than 8-4 in a season) were located in the barren, western U.S., they wouldn’t have access to all those year-round football Bible Belt recruits now would they? But they are. So they do. Still, food for thought for the SEC and ACC elitists. Heh?

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 17:30 Thu 8/4/2011

I like the preseason poll at #2, but will be the first to admit it is a crapshoot.

With a new QB, although Bama’s D is going to be nasty, a lot of the offense is going to hinge on Richardson staying healthy and one of the young receivers stepping up to be a big target.

Oh and I’m in for $20 worth of beer, but don’t forget I live in a beer wasteland.