College Football Thread 2012

Reads 88269 • Replies 1163 • Started Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:50:38 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 13:47 Wed 5/16/2012

Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
Going from memory, I think UCF is 1-3 in bowl games, with one of those loses being to MSU. I only mention this to remind everyone of the irrelevance that is UCF football.

Yes, 1-3 with losses to Nevada, Mississippi State and Rutgers.

Three powerhouses.

Lost to Rutgers by 21 points in the St. Petersburg Bowl. Rutgers went 3-4 in the Old & Unimproved Big East that year.

Rutgers hasn’t beaten West Virginia since 1994. That’s seventeen years ago... and now they’re out of chances.

Sad.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 07:10 Thu 5/17/2012

Originally posted by mgumby10
Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
Originally posted by hopscotch
Going by memory, I think WVU has won six bowl games in the BCS era - three of them being BCS bowls.

On the other hand, we’ve lost five bowl games during that span. 6-5. Not bad. Not great.

Going from memory, I think UCF is 1-3 in bowl games, with one of those loses being to MSU. I only mention this to remind everyone of the irrelevance that is UCF football.

UNDEFEATED!!!

@ MSU. UCF only 10 spots behind them on the list. Good lord that program has been traditionally terrible.

Whats been the problem Cheese? Play in a great conference, big alumni base, the South is very fertile for recruiting, etc.

Smaller budget compared to the big players in the conference. Things have improved, better facilities, bigger donors stepping up, better recruiting coming in. But more importantly, Mullen is focused on retaining MS talent, something his predecessors did not seem to think was so important. The incoming class is proof of that. On the upside, we have MOTHER FUCKING COWBELLS!!!

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 07:21 Thu 5/17/2012

So, I was in Columbus this past week and had the opportunity to chat up some bucknuts. Every single person I talked to felt that Jim Tressel shouldn’t have been fired and that Pryor got a bad deal, too. The whole players should be paid anyway and what’s the big deal they were just tatoos... almost fell off my bar stool a couple times.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 07:48 Thu 5/17/2012

Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
So, I was in Columbus this past week and had the opportunity to chat up some bucknuts. Every single person I talked to felt that Jim Tressel shouldn’t have been fired and that Pryor got a bad deal, too. The whole players should be paid anyway and what’s the big deal they were just tatoos... almost fell off my bar stool a couple times.

Buckeye fans always have been and always will be totally delusional. The sky is an entirely different color in their world.

Same with Michigan fans.

When two entire fanbases can honestly say that they would be happy with a 1-11 season as long as they beat the other team (OSU/Michigan), there’s some wacky thinking going on right there.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 07:49 Thu 5/17/2012

WVU vs ’Bama to kick off the 2014 season.

Ouch, but cool, then ouch again?

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 08:39 Thu 5/17/2012

Nice. Kudos to both schools for scheduling. I love these ChikFila kick off games.

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 10:00 Thu 5/17/2012

WVU will give them a game I gaurantee it. They always find a way to play well against bigger and better opponents....

...except the Canes for the most part.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:16 Fri 5/18/2012

As expected, sounds like Olsen finally committed to Miami.

Nice legacy grab there, Gumby.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:37 Fri 5/18/2012

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7945482/big-12-sec-champions-meet-bowl-game-sources-say

Pretty big development here..

With the Pac-12/B1G Partnership and now this one.. does that mean 4 conferences have squeezed the ACC, Big East, and Non-Cons out of a possible championship game?

Winner of the Rose Bowl and winner of the B12/SEC Match-up meet for their own title?

Very interesting, guys..

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 10:32 Fri 5/18/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7945482/big-12-sec-champions-meet-bowl-game-sources-say

Pretty big development here..

With the Pac-12/B1G Partnership and now this one.. does that mean 4 conferences have squeezed the ACC, Big East, and Non-Cons out of a possible championship game?

Winner of the Rose Bowl and winner of the B12/SEC Match-up meet for their own title?

Very interesting, guys..

Holy cow!

That’s really landscape-changing news. Wow! Tons of implications. Most of which I cannot fathom at the moment and don’t have the time to let it really sink in.

Off to Tampa for the Berliner Bash on the Bay... right... about... now!