College Football Thread 2012

Reads 88260 • Replies 1163 • Started Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:50:38 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:37 Fri 9/7/2012

Originally posted by hopscotch
Originally posted by TheAlum
That seems pretty odd as far as the game, Starnes. JMU has to be getting a nice chunk. What other reason would they play said game??

Ok. Here we go, Adam.

JMU has a large fan-base in DC.
WVU has a large fan-base in DC.
We are paying JMU nothing.
JMU is paying us nothing.
Someone (Dan Snyder? ... I have no idea) extended the invitation to WVU and JMU to play there. They do this every year now. WVU will be playing BYU there in a year or two. Virginia Tech has/will play there as well because Va. Tech also has a large fan-base in D.C.
Whoever is shelling out the cash is making it worth our while to give up a home game each time we play there.
I don’t know anymore about it and I don’t care. K?

JMU wouldn’t play there just because they have a large fanbase there.

They have to be getting a nice chunk of change as well.

That’s all I’m saying.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 11:46 Fri 9/7/2012

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Once again, proving the New Big E is better off! Cincy rapes Pitt on their way out the door.

Pitt and Cuse will both be 0-2, in glorious fashion.

... and yet UCF has never beaten Pitt or Syracuse in four tries. However, use Pitt’s and Syracuse’s football programs as examples of whatever ridiculous points you are trying to make. They are heading to the ACC for their basketball prowess anyway as the ACC has pretty much given up on football and are obviously attempting to gain ground on the Big East in basketball. Not a hard thing to do considering the Big East’s losses and the basketball programs replacing them.

Just don’t lump WVU in with them... or do. No one cares what you say.

UCF has never played Cincinnati, but you’ll lose when you do. Enjoy that.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:47 Fri 9/7/2012

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201106260119

JMU can pull in 500 million.

WVU is making the same as a homegame.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 11:50 Fri 9/7/2012

That seems pretty odd as far as the game, Starnes. JMU has to be getting a nice chunk. What other reason would they play said game??

Ok. Here we go, Adam.

JMU has a large fan-base in DC.
WVU has a large fan-base in DC.
We are paying JMU nothing.
JMU is paying us nothing.
Someone (Dan Snyder? ... I have no idea) extended the invitation to WVU and JMU to play there. They do this every year now. WVU will be playing BYU there in a year or two. Virginia Tech has/will play there as well because Va. Tech also has a large fan-base in D.C.
Whoever is shelling out the cash is making it worth our while to give up a home game each time we play there.
I don’t know anymore about it and I don’t care. K?

JMU wouldn’t play there just because they have a large fanbase there.

They have to be getting a nice chunk of change as well.

That’s all I’m saying.

I agree.
JMU is getting more money playing at FedEx field than if we paid them to play in Morgantown... or maybe they’re not. I have no idea and I don’t care.
I would imagine we’re being paid much more than JMU.
Either way, it’s not coming out of our pocket.
I would imagine JMU will enjoy the exposure.
I actually already feel sorry for them already. It’s gonna be ugly.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 12:01 Fri 9/7/2012

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201106260119

JMU can pull in 500 million.

WVU is making the same as a homegame.

Actually, pulling information from that very article you found at Bleacher Report, the Dukes will absolutely not pull in $500 million... more like $500,000:

"The contract makes it a home game for the Mountaineers, but the Dukes expect to have a strong showing in the stands. JMU, a Football Championship Subdivision school in Harrisonburg, Va., is guaranteed $350,000 for the game, but can make an additional $150,000 in an attendance incentive.

The Dukes, who have about 20,000 alumni in the Washington, D.C., metro area, would make $10 for every ticket sold beyond 42,500 up to 57,500."

Regarding the payout to WVU:

"WVU’s guarantee is to be greater than $2 million, which is right around what it makes for a home game, and shy of the payout for the 2016 game against BYU at FedEx Field. The Mountaineers will make $2.25 million for that game."

Now, all that aside, I am confident that WVU’s payout will be more than $2 million, because I read a press clipping from the University that stated WVU would make more playing at FedEx than at home... including beer sales at Mountaineer Field.

Keep in mind, this article we referenced is over 1-year-old. WVU was not even a member of the Big XXII at the time. Heck, Syracuse and Pitt hadn’t even announced they were heading to the ACC... and wouldn’t for another four months.

Why do you care about all this? Just curious.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 12:09 Fri 9/7/2012

You are right. I actually meant 500,000.

500 million would be huge for ANY PROGRAM.

I care because you made it sound like this would be more money than usual. Which it isn’t. And I was fascinated because I wanted to know how that would be possible. Would have been curious about payout for any team.

My program had an away game at Soldier this last weekend.. and still has 7 more home games this year.. so I would have been much more concerned about that if the Soldier game was actually a home game. It all goes back to the revenue sharing in the B1G anyways.. either way, the financials of those types of games always interest me. Especially when they are lopsided (This example is not - JMU is pulling in acceptable/fair money)

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 12:42 Fri 9/7/2012

I care because you made it sound like this would be more money than usual. Which it isn’t.

No seriously, the payout for WVU exceeds that which would have been pulled in at Mountaineer Field, even with beer sales - after paying JMU to come and play us there. Again, the article we referenced is over 1-year-old.

Ok, I just spoke to my brother-in-law (Assistant President of the WVU Alumni Association) and found out that our payout for playing JMU at FedEx field is $2.5 million with no ticket sales requirement. In contrast, on average, after paying off the visiting team, WVU ends up about $1 million in the black for home games. So, there you go.

Anyway, today the Big 12 announced it’s $2.6 billion media rights deal with ESPN and Fox that promises WVU $240.2 million over the next thirteen years.

That’s pretty sweet considering we were paid a paltry $8-$9 million per season while in the Big East. It would take us 30 years to earn $240.2 million at the rate we were going in the Big East.

Enjoy that Big East money, Jj. Well, it’s much more than UCF gets in C-USA.

You’re right, the future is always bright for a program at the bottom of the food chain... even in its own media market... and coming off a bowl-less season.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 12:44 Fri 9/7/2012

I care because you made it sound like this would be more money than usual. Which it isn’t.

No seriously, the payout for WVU exceeds that which would have been pulled in at Mountaineer Field, even with beer sales - after paying JMU to come and play us there. Again, the article we referenced is over 1-year-old.

Ok, I just spoke to my brother-in-law (Assistant President of the WVU Alumni Association) and found out that our payout for playing JMU at FedEx field is $2.5 million with no ticket sales requirement. In contrast, on average, after paying off the visiting team, WVU ends up about $1 million in the black for home games. So, there you go.

Anyway, today the Big 12 announced it’s $2.6 billion media rights deal that promises WVU $240.2 million. That’s pretty sweet considering we were paid a paltry $8-$9 million per season while in the Big East. It would take us 30 years to earn $240.2 million at the rate we were going in the Big East.

Enjoy that Big East money, Jj. Well, it’s much more than UCF gets in C-USA.

You’re right, the future is always bright for a program at the bottom of the food chain... even in its own media market... and coming off a bowl-less season.

The Have’s (B1G, SEC, Big 12, Pac-12.. lesser extent ACC) are going to keep pulling away from everyone else in the money realm.

J is stupid to think that "Big East Money" is going to get his program ahead..

MlhopeTC
places 20 º 14:05 Fri 9/7/2012

The Have’s (B1G, SEC, Big 12, Pac-12.. lesser extent ACC) are going to keep pulling away from everyone else in the money realm.

This is one thing that’s definitely bothered me with the Big East move... The conference may be a BCS conference, but it obviously doesn’t match up to the other 5 when it comes to competition and money. That being said, it is the right move for UCF regardless, as any move up is a better spot than before.

MlhopeTC
places 20 º 14:08 Fri 9/7/2012

Anyway, today the Big 12 announced it’s $2.6 billion media rights deal with ESPN and Fox that promises WVU $240.2 million over the next thirteen years.

That’s pretty sweet considering we were paid a paltry $8-$9 million per season while in the Big East. It would take us 30 years to earn $240.2 million at the rate we were going in the Big East.

Wow... So an average of $10 million a year more?? Am I doing my math right here?!?