RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Color

read 390 times • 9 replies • posted 9/7/2012 8:17:04 AM

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
Not that I had not paid attention to it in the past, but Iíve really been paying close attention to the color of my beers as of late. Especially the sour ones. I figure that although taste and smell are the two most important aspects of a beer, having a beer that looks how it tastes is pretty damn cool. I found that a lot of my fruit sours were only mildly the color of the fruit that I used, so I upped the amount of fruit and the latest one that I bottled looked fantastic. Ruby red, in fact, and for a cherry sour, that, to me, is pretty damn important.

Any of you guys have OCD regarding the color of your beer?
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
CanIHave4Beers 3209:74
A beautiful glass of beer is not something to be shrugged off.
9/7/2012 8:21:27 AM

Private message send the author a private message

lithy 2996:156
Heh, I was just sitting here contemplating whether to get red or gold raspberries to add to some of the Berliner Weisse. I kinda like the idea of the gold since they may not actually change the color of the beer, and the raspberry taste would be sort of a surprise but I wasnít sure if that would sort of affect the perception of the taste being artificial in any way.
9/7/2012 8:26:53 AM

HornyDevil
As sort of an addendum to this subject, I tend not to care very much about how the rest of my beers turn out color-wise. With the exception of my stouts and porters. I want them to be as black as possible.
9/7/2012 9:05:54 AM

premium
ekoerper 588:39
Originally posted by HornyDevil
As sort of an addendum to this subject, I tend not to care very much about how the rest of my beers turn out color-wise. With the exception of my stouts and porters. I want them to be as black as possible.

Agreed. Dehusked carafa is a great thing... Even steeped 1/2# of Carafa II special in my sparge water last time I did a partigyle stout brew (first runnings = imperial, second = oatmeal) and the second runnings were nearly as dark as the first.
9/7/2012 10:22:43 AM

premium
Countbeer 4367:202
Still looking around for that Imperial Stout with the looks of a Belgian Wit!
9/7/2012 10:36:01 AM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by lithy
Heh, I was just sitting here contemplating whether to get red or gold raspberries to add to some of the Berliner Weisse. I kinda like the idea of the gold since they may not actually change the color of the beer, and the raspberry taste would be sort of a surprise but I wasnít sure if that would sort of affect the perception of the taste being artificial in any way.

Gold raspberries would be cool. I donít think that youíd get that artificial flavoring taste, itíd just be a surprise, like you said. Though that beer being pink/pale red would be pretty cool as well.
9/7/2012 1:53:03 PM

premium
malrubius 1674:27
No OCD but Iíve had a couple of delicious Belgian IPAs that were beige when I was hoping for gold.
9/7/2012 3:07:17 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by malrubius
No OCD but Iíve had a couple of delicious Belgian IPAs that were beige when I was hoping for gold.

Grainbill?
9/7/2012 3:22:14 PM

premium
BMan1113VR 7853:379
Originally posted by lithy
I;ve done a sour with 7# of golden raspberries in a 5 gal batch... Looks a touch darker than a gueueze, but massive raspberry flavor.
9/8/2012 1:24:14 PM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add