Colorado in September- Denver, Boulder...

Reads 422 • Replies 7 • Started Thursday, July 10, 2014 10:57:40 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

tia
beers 2232 º places 168 º 10:57 Thu 7/10/2014

Coming to Denver Sept 16-22 for a convention.
Will have one or two nights to get out in Denver and planning one day trip to Boulder. May tack on a couple of extra days and "get out of town."
Which spots are not to be missed if I only have one shot at it (Denver, Boulder, and "nearby")?
I will definitely scope out "places" some more, too, but was hoping to get the scoop here.

Ernest
beers 9435 º places 229 º 15:08 Thu 7/10/2014

If you like Belgian beer, mos def go to 12 Degree in old town Louisville (near Boulder). Foxx Rougge, Soleil Saison, and the Brabant Tripel are all very good and almost always on (I’ve heard Dervish is great too, but haven’t tried it myself yet). I don’t think you’ll find any better Belgian-style beers made in this state.

TAR
beers 2821 º places 34 º 18:42 Thu 7/10/2014

Originally posted by Ernest
If you like Belgian beer, mos def go to 12 Degree in old town Louisville (near Boulder). Foxx Rougge, Soleil Saison, and the Brabant Tripel are all very good and almost always on (I’ve heard Dervish is great too, but haven’t tried it myself yet). I don’t think you’ll find any better Belgian-style beers made in this state.

Echoing young Ernesto here! Try to get to 12 Degree for some lovely Belgian styles. The three he mentioned are his best, but they’re all pretty solid. Probably won’t see any Dervish, though. John whips up a very nice witbier, too, FWIW.

BMMillsy
beers 1788 º places 120 º 19:37 Thu 7/10/2014

Just got back from Denver. MUST go to Euclid Hall for eats and check out their cellar list. Pricey--some bottles are what you’d expect at a place like that (2011 BA Yeti for $43) others not so much (DFH American Beauty also $43). But it’s the best cellar list in town. Also check out Falling Rock, but I think that is a given.

Great Divide honestly not worth going to unless you’re a super fan or want some swag. Same beers as distro, except less Yeti variants at any given point in time than I can find at my local shop in Florida.

Ratman197
beers 24540 º places 200 º 04:23 Fri 7/11/2014

Try Hogshead for great tradtional British style Cask Beers(7 Beer Engines!). If you want to try a lot of Colorado beer in one place go to Colorado Plus. 54 taps all Colorado beer including 4-6 of their own. Great food at reasonable prices as well.

CLevar
places 23 º 05:21 Fri 7/11/2014

Originally posted by BMMillsy
Just got back from Denver. MUST go to Euclid Hall for eats and check out their cellar list. Pricey--some bottles are what you’d expect at a place like that (2011 BA Yeti for $43) others not so much (DFH American Beauty also $43). But it’s the best cellar list in town. Also check out Falling Rock, but I think that is a given.

Great Divide honestly not worth going to unless you’re a super fan or want some swag. Same beers as distro, except less Yeti variants at any given point in time than I can find at my local shop in Florida.

I honestly liked our visit to Great Divide, if only to see the place and grab a beer. No, the variety isn’t stellar or anything, but I was impressed by how small the facility was! And I seem to remember it being on the way in/out of town, so it wasn’t like it was out of the way too much.

notalush
beers 7100 º places 452 º 11:54 Fri 7/11/2014

Here are my two cents on Denver:

As has been mentioned, Hogshead is a must (even if you aren’t a huge fan of British-style ales). I would also strongly recommend the following breweries:

Epic
Former Future
Renegade
Diebolt
Station 26 (a little out of the way if you’re staying downtown, but IMHO, they are making some of the best hop-centric beers in the state)

Those are some of my personal favorites, but there are tons of breweries is town, so check the reviews in the places section and see which ones sound like they fit your personal tastes.

Someone will eventually mention Crooked Stave @ The Source, so I might as well bring it up, even if I am not a fan. It’s certainly a place any beer tourist should probably visit.

tia
beers 2232 º places 168 º 13:35 Tue 7/15/2014

Thanks, everyone!