coming soon

Reads 762 • Replies 8 • Started Friday, July 17, 2009 11:03:28 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jonboy32818
beers 30 º places 8 º 23:03 Fri 7/17/2009

I suppose I should post this now since I might have just insulted the most active member on forums in this area (sethdude). Heading up there for a family reunion,(the wife’s not mine). Any must hit spots? Staying in st charles. Also if at all possible I will try to swing some cigar city stuff. I will keep you posted.

Cheers
JON

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 09:58 Sat 7/18/2009

Originally posted by jonboy32818
I suppose I should post this now since I might have just insulted the most active member on forums in this area (sethdude). Heading up there for a family reunion,(the wife’s not mine). Any must hit spots? Staying in st charles. Also if at all possible I will try to swing some cigar city stuff. I will keep you posted.

Cheers
JON
Cigar City stuff?! Keep me posted!

First, most St. Louis beer geeks use StlHops.com and the forum there. It is a cool group. Second, St. Louis is developing into a good city for craft beer lovers. St. Charles has one brewpub, Trailhead. Schlafly has 2 locations and both are quite different. Buffalo Brewing located near St. Louis University brews some excellent beer. Square One does as well and is a very cool brewpub (I will be there this evening). Mattingly’s is a small corner bar but they brew some excellent stuff. Near Mattinglys is The Stable, my favorite place to eat in the area. They always have a great beer list and have recently begun brewing their own beer with 2 lagers available. There are certainly more but check out StlHops.com and post there.

I see you are in Orlando. If you ever meet Daknole tell him hello for me. Cool guy. Oh, did you mention Cigar City? Cheers. Dave

sethdude
beers 708 º places 17 º 10:11 Sat 7/18/2009

Also, don’t forget Highland Restaurant and Brewery in Kirkwood as well as the above mentioned places. The Stable is awesome. Also, if you want to do non-beer related stuff, City Museum, the Zoo (Forest Park, in general), and the Transportation museum in Kirkwood are all great things to do in the StL area.

jonboy32818
beers 30 º places 8 º 11:11 Sat 7/18/2009

Thanks for the tips. If I can get away from the family I post the bars I will hit up and what I was able to bring along.

Cheers
JON

xmarcnolanx
beers 945 º places 2 º 11:18 Sat 7/18/2009

If you are looking for a tasting, let me know.

jonboy32818
beers 30 º places 8 º 22:24 Sat 7/18/2009

Originally posted by xmarcnolanx
If you are looking for a tasting, let me know.

I doubt I can commit to a tasting. I will probably bring a few cc beers and just hand them over to the local and hope you guys share with each other. Might have to meet at a bar or something, I really have no idea about our schedule. More than likely I will post meet me here and hand something over. Hate to be all short notice and all but it’s not my family reunion (no Oggs on this forum right?) Last question, bbq, don’t want a tourist place and don’t want some place I will not feel safe with my 2 year old, suggestions.
Cheers
JON

sethdude
beers 708 º places 17 º 16:38 Sun 7/19/2009

Pappy’s Smokehouse is supposed to be good, but I’ve not been. Make sure you call ahead to make sure they’re still open for the day, because they’ll only cook enough for one day, and when it’s gone, it’s gone.

http://pappyssmokehouse.com/

vyvvy
beers 7776 º places 26 º 08:21 Sat 7/25/2009

+1 on Pappy’s. I’ve only been there a couple time, but I’m not a big bbq guy. All of the bbq people at work that know their stuff love it there and it is a very popular lunch time place - the lines can be long around noon.

xmarcnolanx
beers 945 º places 2 º 14:00 Sat 7/25/2009

Richard’s Ribs in Kirkwood is great, too.