RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

commercial brewing books: equipment

read 1218 times • 4 replies • posted 3/15/2012 1:37:18 PM

Thread Frozen

premium
drowland 5996:172
I sifted through some older threads, but Iím not sure Iíve found exactly what Iím looking for. I feel there was a thread awhile back about this, but I canít seem to find it. I specifically remember replying in that damn thread.

Anyway, Iím looking for good books about commercial brewing, specifically using the equipment. Not the ingredients, science, and chemistry of it all, necessarily, but just wondering if there are any books out there about using 7-15bbl equipment, or anything of the sort.

Or is the kind of thing you just have to find and experience?
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
SamGamgee 2452:182
Volume 3 of the MBAA Practical Handbook for the Specialty Brewer is specifically about plant engineering and operations. Lots of info about equipment in that one, but the first 2 volumes are also filled with plenty of practical information on using small brewery equipment as it pertains to making wort (volume 1) and cellaring and packaging beer (volume 2). There is probably some other stuff out there but of what I have read, this series is probably the best for what you are looking for.

That being said, there is so much variation of the details of plant operation that youíll always have to learn any system that you work with. But the concepts and science remain the same, so that is really what you want to know well. If you already know the theory of why something is done and how it works in general, itís easier to learn the exact steps to get there in the real world.
3/15/2012 3:32:10 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Would you recommend that series of books in general?
3/15/2012 4:32:55 PM

erway 1004:41
Originally posted by drowland

I certainly would. That being said, no book that I have encountered cover best practices at all. That is something you will have to learn through experience in a commercial brewery, plain and simple.
3/16/2012 3:59:46 AM

premium
Originally posted by erway
Originally posted by drowland

I certainly would. That being said, no book that I have encountered cover best practices at all. That is something you will have to learn through experience in a commercial brewery, plain and simple.

Thatís kind of what I was expected people to say. Iíll still check the books out, though. Thanks!
3/16/2012 6:44:43 AM

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search