RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Congrats to Mississippi!

read 879 times • 12 replies • posted 4/9/2012 8:18:50 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

StuartCarter 21:10
According to Raise Your Pints, their governor has signed their bill into law. It increases permissible alcohol in beer from 5% ABW (6% ABV) to 8% ABW (10-ish ABV).

Awesome news from our brothers in arms in MS!

www.raiseyourpints.com
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
Papsoe 25083:4
4/9/2012 8:22:38 AM

Private message send the author a private message

Sevenlee 1382:67
Great news. Some of these conservative states and counties in the US that restrict the amount of alcohol in brews and the like donít realise they are creating more of a problem or potential problem of alcohol abuse. It encourages people to drink a lot more because itís low in alcohol. I mean really, whoís going to smash down 6 Imperial Stouts and over 10% a pop? The higher alcohol content will give brewers from the state more freedom to make more interesting and flavoursome beers, thus, beers that should be appreciated not slammed.

Does anyone know if this law relates to only beer brewed in the state or is it beer available in the state also?

Has anyone had any beer from Mississippi? I can really only see Lazy Magnolia doing anything there.
4/9/2012 8:47:54 AM

the ABW restriction applies to all beer - why wouldnít it?

Lazy Magnolia is the only current MS brewery that is in production. With the passing of this law I would expect a lot of prospective brewers to be sharpening their pencils, just like they did when we changed Alabamaís ABV law in 2009.
4/9/2012 8:54:12 AM

premium
phaleslu 6701:421
This is awesome news. Great step. Now letís work toward getting these alcohol caps removed completely!
4/9/2012 9:12:04 AM

premium
jzzbassman 1516:28
There is a second brewery starting up called LuckyTown down by Jackson. They have been raising money via kickstarter and others, and should be going pretty soon.

Lots of hard work here went into getting this 1st hurdle over. Hopefully we see the same explosion our neighbors in AL saw when they raised their limit.
4/9/2012 12:01:57 PM

premium
phaleslu 6701:421
Originally posted by jzzbassman
There is a second brewery starting up called LuckyTown down by Jackson. They have been raising money via kickstarter and others, and should be going pretty soon.

Lots of hard work here went into getting this 1st hurdle over. Hopefully we see the same explosion our neighbors in AL saw when they raised their limit.

Congrats!

Speaking of Alabama, what happened with Hurricane Brewing? I spent a couple afternoons there in September 2009 and they had a celebratory Imperial IPA on tap at the time, right after their successful "Free the Hops" efforts. It did seem empty both days I was in there, unfortunately, and Mobile seemed to have a sleepy downtown that probably isnít the most small business-friendly.

Was it management? Unlucky timing?
4/9/2012 12:07:55 PM

dmschefke 570:51
Originally posted by Sevenlee
Great news. Some of these conservative states and counties in the US that restrict the amount of alcohol in brews and the like donít realise they are creating more of a problem or potential problem of alcohol abuse. It encourages people to drink a lot more because itís low in alcohol. I mean really, whoís going to smash down 6 Imperial Stouts and over 10% a pop? The higher alcohol content will give brewers from the state more freedom to make more interesting and flavoursome beers, thus, beers that should be appreciated not slammed.

Does anyone know if this law relates to only beer brewed in the state or is it beer available in the state also?

Has anyone had any beer from Mississippi? I can really only see Lazy Magnolia doing anything there.

Iím not understanding your logic on this one. I know plenty of beers in the 10% range that go down pretty easy and would lead to a more dangerous drunk (ie, one that doesnít realize that they are drunk until halfway through the drive home when it catches up to them).
4/9/2012 12:08:14 PM

Originally posted by phaleslu

Congrats!

Speaking of Alabama, what happened with Hurricane Brewing? I spent a couple afternoons there in September 2009 and they had a celebratory Imperial IPA on tap at the time, right after their successful "Free the Hops" efforts. It did seem empty both days I was in there, unfortunately, and Mobile seemed to have a sleepy downtown that probably isnít the most small business-friendly.

Was it management? Unlucky timing?

it was the messed-up brewpub laws that made it basically impossible to make a profit as a brewpub, which is why Free the Hops changed the brewpubs laws in 2011.

www.freethehops.org for the full skinny.
4/9/2012 2:17:05 PM

premium
admin
joet 2207:91
good to hear! congrats!
4/9/2012 2:27:49 PM

Sevenlee 1382:67
Originally posted by dmschefke
Originally posted by Sevenlee

Iím not understanding your logic on this one. I know plenty of beers in the 10% range that go down pretty easy and would lead to a more dangerous drunk (ie, one that doesnít realize that they are drunk until halfway through the drive home when it catches up to them).

Well thereís a difference. If one is stupid enough to suck back 2 or 3 10% beers then drive home, well thatís just as stupid as drinking double of the amount of a 5% beer. Iím not saying this going to help drink driving, only the individual responsible (the drinker) can stop that.

What Iím really referring to is alcohol abuse. From what I understand, many states and counties have alcohol restrictions of different kinds because they worry about how itís going to affect their community. (I believe itís mainly a religous influence. Look at Utah as an example) Iíve seen plenty of dumb-shit college kids downing beers like itís a competition and they can because itís low(ish) in alcohol and, if youíre buying crap like Bud or Miller, cheap. Those same boys arenít going to spend $4-5 on a single bottle of craft IPA sitting at 8%. However, like the craft beer movement in general, as more people discover the joys of it, the more they apprecitate and the less they drink. Iím sure youíre not one to smash down 4 or 5 10% imperial stouts are you? But those boys commonly do with 9 or 10 Buds.
Thatís my point.
4/9/2012 2:31:01 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback