RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Food and Beer | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Cooking with beer

read 1409 times • 18 replies • posted 2/16/2013 3:05:24 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
NeoHippie2 996:48
So spring is just around the corner and as it warms, I always end up drinking more beer. This year Id like to try cooking with beer more often as well. What are some of your favorite beer infused recipes?
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
Sigmund 5120:143
About ANY recipe that normally calls for a certain amount of liquid (often water) - just replace that liquid with the same amount of beer, and youíll be a happy fellow. But it might be a good idea to avoid beers with an extreme bitterness.
2/16/2013 3:16:27 PM

Private message send the author a private message

pinkie 470:10
http://www.thebeercook.com/

Hereís a blog you might like.
2/16/2013 3:19:42 PM

premium
admin
joet 2172:91
Originally posted by Sigmund
About ANY recipe that normally calls for a certain amount of liquid (often water) - just replace that liquid with the same amount of beer, and youíll be a happy fellow. But it might be a good idea to avoid beers with an extreme bitterness.

This.

Most creamy or cheesy soups and sauces benefit.

Tomato-based sauces, including pasta sauces, Indian and Salisbury steak sauce, are good.

As a pan liquid for roasting poultry with vegetables.

With ice cream in milk shakes.

And donít forget to turn your old beer into malt vinegars which can be interesting pickling liquid for any vegetable you pickle.
2/16/2013 4:27:01 PM

premium
JoeMcPhee 8410:508
Originally posted by joet
And donít forget to turn your old beer into malt vinegars which can be interesting pickling liquid for any vegetable you pickle.

How does one do this at home? Just get an Acetobacter culture?
2/16/2013 4:34:54 PM

premium
admin
joet 2172:91
Yep. You can get a mother of vinegar (commercial vinegar w/ culture) from health food stores.

I add it to beers, keep it warm for a few days and then filter and re-bottle.
2/16/2013 4:54:32 PM

premium
pepsican 1445:46
I added a labatt 52 to my chili yesterday.
2/16/2013 5:39:43 PM

DerWeg 1495:38
What are good deglazing beers? I cook and deglaze bananas and pears with breakfast, or do mixed veggies. Beer can seem grainy-tasting with mild ingredients.
2/16/2013 8:29:15 PM

premium
foppa78 12
Originally posted by randomgarbage
I added a labatt 52 to my chili yesterday.

I thought you were eating tenderloins yesterday. I feel duped!
2/16/2013 8:42:41 PM

premium
NeoHippie2 996:48
Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by Sigmund

This.

Most creamy or cheesy soups and sauces benefit.

Tomato-based sauces, including pasta sauces, Indian and Salisbury steak sauce, are good.

As a pan liquid for roasting poultry with vegetables.

With ice cream in milk shakes.

Iíve experienced a beer milkshake before and those are amazing. Good call.
2/16/2013 9:58:58 PM

pinkie 470:10
Originally posted by DerWeg
What are good deglazing beers? I cook and deglaze bananas and pears with breakfast, or do mixed veggies. Beer can seem grainy-tasting with mild ingredients.

You can deglaze with any beer than compliments the flavors you are working with. What you want to remember though is the beerís flavor will change when itís heated. So you want to make sure you reduce your liquids and donít boil the beer. Use the same discretion as with something like sour cream which also doesnít stand up to high heat. And like wine donít cook with a beer you wouldnít drink.

Even one of the greatest beer and food proponents, Brewmaster Garret Oliver from Brooklyn Brewery in Brooklyn, New York, admits to the difficulties that cooking with beer can pose: ďActually, as much as I hate to say it, even though I generally feel that beer is the superior drink for food matching, Iíd give wine the edge for most cooking,Ē he says. ďBitterness is a complicating factor for many recipes."

Itís not impossible but you have to work with it. Try using beer in marinades.
2/17/2013 6:22:42 AM

Home > Forums > Food and Beer

Page 1 | 2

Food, Beer Recipes

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback