RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Food and Beer | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Cooking with beer

read 1426 times • 18 replies • posted 2/16/2013 3:05:24 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

DerWeg 1514:38
^ funny you mention Brooklyn, I think the Brooklyn Oktoberfest must be one of the easier beers to cook with (good rich pale malt body, moderate bitterness.)
2/17/2013 7:47:09 PM

Private message send the author a private message

brewtopian 2:
Smoked beers in chilis and stews are a great fit. Deglazing pans with a tripel or a saison or a belgian golden work well with delicate sauces like buerre blanc. Stouts, dubbels and quads are good in certain types of desserts. I like poaching pears and apples in dubbels with spices and serve with a little creme anglaise
2/17/2013 9:30:25 PM

premium
fly 1419:224
something about cooking wih beer = dying.
2/17/2013 9:32:50 PM

McWorta 645:106
If you got a cold just warm up a pils and drink it, off to bed next day you are fresh like a daisy!

I prefer to deglaze with wine or whisky in sauces.
Soups are really lovely with beer, deglazing the ingredients.
Beerpickle can be intersting too.
2/21/2013 10:26:41 AM

lampeno420 320:11
I made some pork steak about a week ago with some fresh Founders Rubaeus from a growler i picked up and it was delicious!
2/21/2013 11:17:27 AM

premium
Aurelius 4322:127
Since St. Pattyís is tomorrow Iím cooking up braised cabbage tonight, so an amber beer is essential. I hated cabbage until I started braising it in beer - Emerilís got a good recipe.

I always cook lamb stew starting out with Guinness Extra Stout - DO NOT USE GUINNESS Foreign stout (too bitter).

A good dark beer mixed with worchestershire sauce and bourbon is great for a finishing glaze for any grilled/broiled red meat.

If you like mushrooms, then beer makes a good marinade component.

I always have stragglers from various mixpacks that I get, and the thing that Iíve learned is that even bad beer makes good marinade.
3/16/2013 7:10:28 PM

premium
NeoHippie2 1058:50
Originally posted by fly
something about cooking wih beer = dying.

Donít knock it until youíve tried it. Cooking with beer=freakin delicious
3/16/2013 11:13:20 PM

premium
poisoneddwarf 1745:18
I have a couple of neat books about this: Cooking With Beer and Cooking With Booze. The best recipe Iíve made comes from the latter:

Beer-Poached Sausage Jambalaya

2 12 oz bottles dark ale

4 chorizo sausages

1 tbsp vegetable oil

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 in cubes

4 (+) cloves garlic, minced

2 stalks celery, chopped

2 onions, chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

1 green bell pepper, chopped

1 1/2 cups chicken stock

2 cups instant rice

2 bay leaves

1 1/2 tsp chili powder

1 1/2 tsp dried thyme

1 1/2 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes

1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes

12 oz large shrimp, peeled and deveined

Bring beer to a simmer in a large skillet over medium heat. Pierce sausages with a fork and add to beer. Cover and poach sausages for 8 minutes. Remove from pan, allow to cool and slice diagonally. Set aside. Save poaching liquid.

Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat, add chicken and saute for 3 minutes. Add sausage and cook until chicken browns lightly, about 4 minutes. Revmove from pot and set aside. Add garlic, celery, onion and peppers and saute until onion becomes translucent. Deglaze with chicken stock and 1 cup of poaching liquid. Add rice, herbs and spices. Stir in sausage, chicken and tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until almost all the liquid is absorbed. Stir in shrimp and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until shrimp are bright pink and cooked through.
3/17/2013 2:10:50 AM

Home > Forums > Food and Beer

Page 1 | 2

Food, Beer Recipes

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback