RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Copenhagen beer fests dominate Top Beers of the month

read 1465 times • 20 replies • posted 5/18/2012 3:56:47 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
Papsoe 25094:4
The three Copenhagen beer festivals last week have a serious impact on the Top new beers of the month.
I count 30 of the Top 50 being from these festivals! Tons of raters, tons of good beer. Excellent!
(And even more wouldíve been on there if the beers hadnít been added to the site prior to May 1st)
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
Travlr 9999:1383
A direct result of Mikkel and the brewers working hard to bring new and exciting (and hi quality!) stuff to the fest.
And also a direct refute to those who complained about the beer selection....
5/18/2012 4:05:01 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Papsoe 25094:4
Originally posted by Travlr
A direct result of Mikkel and the brewers working hard to bring new and exciting (and hi quality!) stuff to the fest.

completely agree - that line-up is hard to beat anywhere.

Personally I find it a lot more satisfactory to find hidden gems instead of constantly going whale hunting.

Some of my highlights at CBC were:
Beachwood Knucklehead Red
Cigar City El Murciťlago
Struise Rio Reserva
Uncommon American Special Bitter

And at CBF some of those heavy hittiní Stronzo beers really impressed me.
5/18/2012 4:20:21 AM

premium
cgarvieuk 13196:151
cant say im surprised!!!

hence my being very sad at not making it
5/18/2012 4:53:46 AM

rvdoorn 13:
Originally posted by Travlr

I think nobody complained about the lack of good beers, I think only some people mentioned that the American brewers could have brought some more interesting beers with them (some regular DL, or Hunahpuís Imperial Stout for example, and cigar city brought just a few bottles of Marshal Zhukov). Probably for the average European beer drinker the American beers were maybe impressive, but for the bit more active traders among us, there was no real surprise at the American front.

As a food scientist I also have to mention that it has been proven many times in scientific studies that the ambiance of a venue and the mental state of mind does very significantly influence the taste experience of a certain product. Since the ambiance at CBC was really great (lotís of nice people and fun, nice venue) this will beyond any doubt bias the taste reviews in a positive way compared to drinking the same beer at home.

That being sad, I agree with Papsoe that there were some extremely nice hidden germs to find. My personal highlights were some of the new Struise beers, the Mikkeller spontandoubleblueberry, de Molen Bommen on cascade, almost everything from to Ol and Evil twin cherry Berliner weisse.

Only the price can be a bit lower maybe next time, paying around 55 bucks for entrance and still paying 6 bucks for 10 cl sample is slightly overdone.
5/18/2012 5:19:13 AM

premium
drowland 5961:172
5/18/2012 5:56:51 AM

premium
Nightfall 1307:39
Originally posted by rvdoorn
paying 6 bucks for 10 cl sample is slightly overdone.

How did you calculate that ?
If I am not mistaken it was 200 DKK for 15 tokens. That works out at less than 2,3 USD per token and about 2/3 of the beers could be bought with 1 token.
Dirty Horse 1983 f.ex was 3 tokens, but I donít think I am alone here when I am saying that I would have paid even more
5/18/2012 6:20:13 AM

rvdoorn 13:
Originally posted by Nightfall
Originally posted by rvdoorn
paying 6 bucks for 10 cl sample is slightly overdone.

How did you calculate that ?
If I am not mistaken it was 200 DKK for 15 tokens. That works out at less than 2,3 USD per token and about 2/3 of the beers could be bought with 1 token.
Dirty Horse 1983 f.ex was 3 tokens, but I donít think I am alone here when I am saying that I would have paid even more

Well, maybe I have an expensive taste , but I think the beers were two tokens average. But ok, letís say 1.5 token per beer, that is still expensive after paying the entrance fee. Most other festivals I have been to, had OR free entrance (and 1-2 tokens per beer) OR paid entrance and the rest of the day free beer. I fully agree with your Dirty Horse statement though

5/18/2012 6:34:43 AM

premium
_angst_ 2377:31
As an attendant from Sweden I was happy to see how cheap everything was :)
5/18/2012 6:41:15 AM

rvdoorn 13:
Originally posted by _angst_
As an attendant from Sweden I was happy to see how cheap everything was :)

LOL
5/18/2012 6:59:15 AM

premium
GT2 7899:536
As an attendant from Japan, everything was free for me
5/18/2012 7:01:08 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights