RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Food and Beer | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Curry and beer?

read 7216 times • 31 replies • posted 1/20/2010 2:15:34 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Pipper 325:34
Yo just wondering what the general consensus was about curry and a good beer pairing. For some reason I really want to try a sour but that could end up weird. I made a curry with chicken skin sauteed with butter and white wine vinegar so I was thinking a sour might be a nice compliment. Not sure. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Pipper
Private message Send the author a private message

JAXSON 530:4
A czech pilsener thatís not too hoppy. Many people will say an IPA pairs best, but I really disagree with that, as the extreme bitterness gets really muddled among all the Indian spices.
1/20/2010 2:29:28 PM

Private message send the author a private message

zdk 1816:95
I agree that a pilsner works the best. Try this one perhaps, since itís actually made in India.

But I like not too bitter IPAs as well.

Could nutty, aromatic brown ales also work?
1/20/2010 3:21:42 PM

premium
malrubius 1860:29
Chicken skin?
1/20/2010 3:23:16 PM

nqualls 1452:35
Iím going to say something similar to Victory Prima Pils. You need a little hops to cut the spices off your tongue. But I think Garret Oliver is crazy in saying that a hoppy IPA works best...the flavors just muddle together imo. A pils with a little hop backbone works great!
1/20/2010 3:27:31 PM

afterglow 1047:11
Munich Helles is damn good with some curry.
1/20/2010 3:51:20 PM

SoLan 1550:12
Originally posted by JAXSON
A czech pilsener thatís not too hoppy. Many people will say an IPA pairs best, but I really disagree with that, as the extreme bitterness gets really muddled among all the Indian spices.

Agreed with the bitterness and spices clashing, Iíd even steer clear of a pils, actually. I donít care for most tripels at all, but that was my first thought. Something with some sweetness up front and dry enough to drink easily. La Rulles should work well.
1/20/2010 3:55:25 PM

premium
redlight 2317:50
what about a saison?
1/20/2010 4:24:59 PM

DalzAle 2000:13
I had a really good curry chicken dish a few nights ago and it went really well with a Surly Furious!
1/20/2010 4:27:55 PM

premium
TimE 3365:252
IPA IPA and IPA. Garrett is spot on, IMO. I often pair these. Generally avoid overly malty sweet IPAs and stick to something drier. In general IPAs go well with spicy food. A Pils works well too. Saison, why not?

Tim
1/20/2010 4:38:54 PM

puzzl 3254:138
Originally posted by TimE
IPA IPA and IPA. Garrett is spot on, IMO. I often pair these. Generally avoid overly malty sweet IPAs and stick to something drier. In general IPAs go well with spicy food. A Pils works well too. Saison, why not?

Tim

Hoppy goes great with spicy, but Iíd want to avoid something as strongly flavored and bitter as an IPA with Indian food which generally presents a lot of subtle, complex flavors that may be masked by the relative intensity of the beer. Iíd prefer to put an IPA with a jalapeno burger or some spicy Mexican food.

Honestly, I feel like Indian food is the kind of stuff that doesnít pair well with any kind of alcohol, just lassi or similar.
1/20/2010 5:16:58 PM

Home > Forums > Food and Beer

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Food, Beer Recipes

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback