RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Cycling. Bamberg; Salzburg, Rothenburg; Cologne


read 4458 times • 74 replies • posted 3/26/2013 8:36:43 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

premium
JK 4614:296
I am looking for recommended routes. Near Bamberg, I expect to have more or less a full day, Salzburg; Rothenburg; and Cologne area, maybe 1/2 days.

In Bamberg I would expect breweries to be part of the ride; in the other places, that is not essential.

Does anyone have recommend routes for beer and/or scenery, or both? I am a reasonably strong rider but my girlfriend is slower.
Private message Send the author a private message


premium
GT2 8742:613
I would refer you to 3fourths, but chances are he may give you intentionally wrong directions.
3/26/2013 8:39:46 AM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
bierkoning 10563:275
train from Bamberg to Bad Staffelstein, rent your bike there: Pferdsfeld, Unterneuses, Wiesen, Nedensdorf, SchŲnbrunn, Kloster Vierzehnheiligen (steep climb!), Uetzing, Stublang, Loffeld, Bad Staffelstein. Almost every village, except Staffelstein and SchŲnbrunn, has at least one brewery. Take your time. Only 20 miles or so and a lot of (very small) breweries
3/26/2013 9:01:51 AM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
3fourths 8236:1352
here is a 20 mile loop that contains 7 breweries and 1 store with a good selection of bottles (Rewe near Memmelsdorf).

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211469481694757684098.0004d8d638469ec7a8338&msa=0

if you skip Merkendorf you can ride straight from Memmelsdorf to Strassgiech for better beer.

along the route I would rank the breweries

1) Drie Kronen Ganstaller, Strassgiech. Open Wed-Fri.
2) Brauerei Hohn, Memmelsdorf
3) Knoblach in Schammelsdorf
4) Brauerei Hoh in Kottensdorf

questionable quality

5) Brauerei Hummel, Merkendorf. Iíve had bad beer from them but also heard them praised by very knowledgeable people in Franconia. it may be a seasonal issue with their beer.

first to skip if you want to save time and spare your senses

6) Brauerei GŲller in Drosendorf. dirty and fizzy and basic beer.
7) Brauerei Drei Kronen, Memmelsdorf unless you need a diacetyl lesson.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beermap?p=0&z=12<=4997209&ln=1102701
3/26/2013 9:35:58 AM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
JK 4614:296
Granstaller was on my list. It looks like they are open Sunday afternoon as well.
3/26/2013 10:29:49 AM

Private message send the author a private message


Erlangernick 1:2
[Missed this thread somehow.]

Originally posted by JK
Granstaller was on my list. It looks like they are open Sunday afternoon as well.


Erm...AFAIK only from 17.00. No, thatís not at all right. Sundays 11 - 14.00.

I say head south to the most fabulous Bierkeller(s) youíll ever encounter. If the weatherís nice, this is the best thing about Franconian beer culture: pedaling your way from Bierkeller to Bierkeller, not to indoor places or places with outdoor seating.

Lame-o Googlemap


Take the S-Bahn train to Eggolsheim. Ride from there to the Witzgall Keller in the woods just before you get to Schlammersdorf (B) for gravity-pour Witzgall Landbier (their "Kellerbier", blond, normally dry and hoppy), then on to Hallerndorf and the Lieberth Dorfkeller on the left side of the road at the far edge of the village (C) -- passing by both Rittmayer and Lieberth breweries, which arenít really open during Kellersaison.

(I have the slightly longer, slightly more difficult route through Trailsdorf, but itís a MUCH quieter stretch of road, and the viewís great, being uphill from the valley floor.)

Then youíll probably walk your bikes uphill to the Kreuzberg, unless youíre used to biking uphill. Itís not that far though, so donít despair. And itís worth it: not only Brauhaus am Kreuzberg, but also Lieberth and Rittmayer have Keller(s) there. The former is the most traditional of them all, the only one with gravity pour (same beer as at the Dorfkeller). Then downhill to Stiebarlimbach and Roppeltís Keller, with his naturally-gassed Kellerbier served from a 1000 L plastic bag inside a tank which is squeezed by an air compressor.

These places offer a really one-of-a-kind Bierkeller experience, moreso than the likes of the other places suggested so far, IME. Witzgall and Stiebarlimbach are the *definitive* Kellerbier(s), FWIW. Yeah, we all soil ourselves over Gšnstaller, save that for another time.
3/28/2013 2:05:20 AM

Private message send the author a private message


Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by 3fourths
here is a 20 mile loop that contains 7 breweries and 1 store with a good selection of bottles (Rewe near Memmelsdorf).

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211469481694757684098.0004d8d638469ec7a8338&msa=0

if you skip Merkendorf you can ride straight from Memmelsdorf to Strassgiech for better beer.

along the route I would rank the breweries

1) Drie Kronen Ganstaller, Strassgiech. Open Wed-Fri.
2) Brauerei Hohn, Memmelsdorf
3) Knoblach in Schammelsdorf
4) Brauerei Hoh in Kottensdorf

questionable quality

5) Brauerei Hummel, Merkendorf. Iíve had bad beer from them but also heard them praised by very knowledgeable people in Franconia. it may be a seasonal issue with their beer.

first to skip if you want to save time and spare your senses

6) Brauerei GŲller in Drosendorf. dirty and fizzy and basic beer.
7) Brauerei Drei Kronen, Memmelsdorf unless you need a diacetyl lesson.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beermap?p=0&z=12<=4997209&ln=1102701


Iíd personally replace a number of those with a detour down to Geisfeld for the most excellent Griess Keller and the hit-miss Krug. Griess is the other definitive Kellerbier. The three comprise the holy trinity of Kellerbier.
3/28/2013 3:23:19 AM

Private message send the author a private message


Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by Erlangernick
[Missed this thread somehow.]

Originally posted by JK
Granstaller was on my list. It looks like they are open Sunday afternoon as well.


Erm...AFAIK only from 17.00. No, thatís not at all right. Sundays 11 - 14.00.

I say head south to the most fabulous Bierkeller(s) youíll ever encounter. If the weatherís nice, this is the best thing about Franconian beer culture: pedaling your way from Bierkeller to Bierkeller, not to indoor places or places with outdoor seating.

Lame-o Googlemap


Take the S-Bahn train to Eggolsheim. Ride from there to the Witzgall Keller in the woods just before you get to Schlammersdorf (B) for gravity-pour Witzgall Landbier (their "Kellerbier", blond, normally dry and hoppy), then on to Hallerndorf and the Lieberth Dorfkeller on the left side of the road at the far edge of the village (C) -- passing by both Rittmayer and Lieberth breweries, which arenít really open during Kellersaison.

(I have the slightly longer, slightly more difficult route through Trailsdorf, but itís a MUCH quieter stretch of road, and the viewís great, being uphill from the valley floor.)

Then youíll probably walk your bikes uphill to the Kreuzberg, unless youíre used to biking uphill. Itís not that far though, so donít despair. And itís worth it: not only Brauhaus am Kreuzberg, but also Lieberth and Rittmayer have Keller(s) there. The former is the most traditional of them all, the only one with gravity pour (same beer as at the Dorfkeller). Then downhill to Stiebarlimbach and Roppeltís Keller, with his naturally-gassed Kellerbier served from a 1000 L plastic bag inside a tank which is squeezed by an air compressor.

These places offer a really one-of-a-kind Bierkeller experience, moreso than the likes of the other places suggested so far, IME. Witzgall and Stiebarlimbach are the *definitive* Kellerbier(s), FWIW. Yeah, we all soil ourselves over Gšnstaller, save that for another time.


Wait. If it has to be a Sunday, forget all what I just wrote, since EVERY OTHER PERSON IN FRANCONIA heads to those places on Sundays, if the weatherís nice. Saturdays are much nicer in comparison.

Does it have to be Sunday?
3/28/2013 3:28:59 AM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
TimE 3365:252
The main issue I see, is hitting so many breweries will get you fairly drunk and it wonít be so safe to ride around.

I rode from Bamberg to Kruezberg and back and there is plenty of beer in Kruezberg ( http://www.ratebeer.com/p/kreuzberg/5660/) to drink. The ride there is fantastic, going through small villages and rural farm roads. Very pretty and you can stay away from traffic most of the time. It is 15 miles from Bamberg, so it takes a bit of time to go there and back, but it is great excerise. There are three breweries in Kruezberg and Fridel has lots of taps, so tons of beer to sample. If you have 4-5 hrs, this is a good way to spend it.

Bike rental is avilable near the main train station, just ask tourist information.

Tim
3/28/2013 3:41:33 AM

Private message send the author a private message


Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by TimE
The main issue I see, is hitting so many breweries will get you fairly drunk and it wonít be so safe to ride around.

I rode from Bamberg to Kruezberg and back and there is plenty of beer in Kruezberg ( http://www.ratebeer.com/p/kreuzberg/5660/) to drink. The ride there is fantastic, going through small villages and rural farm roads. Very pretty and you can stay away from traffic most of the time. It is 15 miles from Bamberg, so it takes a bit of time to go there and back, but it is great excerise. There are three breweries in Kruezberg and Fridel has lots of taps, so tons of beer to sample. If you have 4-5 hrs, this is a good way to spend it.

Bike rental is avilable near the main train station, just ask tourist information.

Tim


Very good point about becoming betrunken! You really have to pace yourself. This is why I suggest at least two days...

You can ride along the canal from Bamberg, or you can take the train to Eggolsheim like I posted. At any rate, a train ride back would be most important. The ride from the Kreuzberg/Stiebarlimbach to Eggolsheim station is very level (except for the Kreuzberg hill itself) and quiet (except on Sundays).
3/28/2013 4:40:16 AM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
JK 4614:296
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by Erlangernick
[Missed this thread somehow.]

Originally posted by JK
Granstaller was on my list. It looks like they are open Sunday afternoon as well.


Erm...AFAIK only from 17.00. No, thatís not at all right. Sundays 11 - 14.00.

I say head south to the most fabulous Bierkeller(s) you’ll ever encounter. If the weatherís nice, this is the best thing about Franconian beer culture: pedaling your way from Bierkeller to Bierkeller, not to indoor places or places with outdoor seating.

Lame-o Googlemap


Take the S-Bahn train to Eggolsheim. Ride from there to the Witzgall Keller in the woods just before you get to Schlammersdorf (B) for gravity-pour Witzgall Landbier (their "Kellerbier", blond, normally dry and hoppy), then on to Hallerndorf and the Lieberth Dorfkeller on the left side of the road at the far edge of the village (C) -- passing by both Rittmayer and Lieberth breweries, which arenít really open during Kellersaison.

(I have the slightly longer, slightly more difficult route through Trailsdorf, but itís a MUCH quieter stretch of road, and the viewís great, being uphill from the valley floor.)

Then youíll probably walk your bikes uphill to the Kreuzberg, unless youíre used to biking uphill. Itís not that far though, so donít despair. And itís worth it: not only Brauhaus am Kreuzberg, but also Lieberth and Rittmayer have Keller(s) there. The former is the most traditional of them all, the only one with gravity pour (same beer as at the Dorfkeller). Then downhill to Stiebarlimbach and Roppeltís Keller, with his naturally-gassed Kellerbier served from a 1000 L plastic bag inside a tank which is squeezed by an air compressor.

These places offer a really one-of-a-kind Bierkeller experience, moreso than the likes of the other places suggested so far, IME. Witzgall and Stiebarlimbach are the *definitive* Kellerbier(s), FWIW. Yeah, we all soil ourselves over Gšnstaller, save that for another time.


Wait. If it has to be a Sunday, forget all what I just wrote, since EVERY OTHER PERSON IN FRANCONIA heads to those places on Sundays, if the weatherís nice. Saturdays are much nicer in comparison.

Does it have to be Sunday?


No. I arrive in Bamberg sunday and leave wednesday morning.
3/28/2013 6:52:07 AM

Private message send the author a private message

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search
Add A Beer
Add A Brewer
Add A Place
Events
membership
Log In
Edit Personal Info
Buy Premium Membership
Your Messages
the best
RateBeer Best
100 Beer Club
The Top 50