RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Cycling. Bamberg; Salzburg, Rothenburg; Cologne

read 4040 times • 74 replies • posted 3/26/2013 8:36:43 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

premium
admin
joet 2055:88
Just chiming in here that it might be nice to somehow link this thread and a region. Lots of great contributions. Have a great time, John!
3/30/2013 9:41:38 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
3fourths 7798:1271
Originally posted by harrisoni
All very useful for me too as i will be back in Bamberg Nick from 17-21 May.

Where is best place to hire a bike in Bamberg? Can i do it beforehand and reserve it oh and i speak no german at all

the shop here is about 8 euro/day for a basic cruiser.

http://goo.gl/RC7C9

a few doors down from WeissbierHaus
3/30/2013 10:31:44 AM

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by 3fourths
Originally posted by harrisoni
All very useful for me too as i will be back in Bamberg Nick from 17-21 May.

Where is best place to hire a bike in Bamberg? Can i do it beforehand and reserve it oh and i speak no german at all

the shop here is about 8 euro/day for a basic cruiser.

http://goo.gl/RC7C9

a few doors down from WeissbierHaus

I THINK thatís where mates of mine have hired v. satisfactory bikes, too. I would probably reserve ahead, yes. Fahrrad Griessmann, according to another map. Either you got a good deal or prices have gone up to 9,50Ä a day. (Whether that osm link works exactly...not sure!)

Said mate is flying to Prague on the 20th, and I "plan" to meet him there, so I might not be around the whole time youíre (Ian) here. Have to see!
3/31/2013 4:29:44 AM

premium
JK 4284:249
Originally posted by joet
Just chiming in here that it might be nice to somehow link this thread and a region. Lots of great contributions. Have a great time, John!

This is a great idea. Could we simply do it with tags?

You should definitely follow through with this.
4/3/2013 8:55:28 AM

premium
12 C on Sunday
12 C on Monday
13 C on Tuesday

Can I expect any of the Kellers to be open with that weather?
4/16/2013 10:40:01 AM

mullet 849:224
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Iíd personally replace a number of those with a detour down to Geisfeld for the most excellent Griess Keller and the hit-miss Krug. Griess is the other definitive Kellerbier. The three comprise the holy trinity of Kellerbier.

Realise Iím coming to this a bit late, but we (me and my fairly slow partner) rode Bamberg -> Tiefenellern (Br. Honig) -> Lohndorf (HŲlzlein) -> Geisfeld (Griess) -> Bamberg. Itís bike path basically the whole way, very slightly uphill all the way to Tiefenellern and then very easy all the way back. We rented from the same place 3fourths mentioned. Highly recommended.
4/16/2013 5:49:12 PM

premium
harrisoni 12674:20
This is from the Bamberg Tourist Information site for cycling

http://www.bamberg.info/en/aktiv/radfahren/radtouren-und-informationen/brauerei-und-bierkellertour/

Says itís a circular tour taking in 80 breweries over 202 kilometres. Any idea if all or any of it is any good? Do they still do a map and rucksack to do this? Iím sure I read that somewhere once.
4/16/2013 11:47:45 PM

Originally posted by JK
12 C on Sunday
12 C on Monday
13 C on Tuesday

Can I expect any of the Kellers to be open with that weather?

This weekend already? Man, bad luck. We had Spring delayed by about a month only to see temps rocket into the 70ís this week, then to drop again for the weekend.

Griess winít be open in such weather, but the Kberg ones and Roppelt surely will be, especially if itís dry. Not the greatest weather, but still...Iíd call and verify for you on the day you want to head out if you like. (Or test their Telefon-Englisch yourself.)
4/17/2013 12:14:21 PM

premium
Would you recommend Monday or tuesday, or it makes no difference?
4/17/2013 12:26:31 PM

Originally posted by JK
Would you recommend Monday or tuesday, or it makes no difference?

AFA the Bierkeller(s) I keep harping about go, no. Both are "stink-normal" workdays here, so there should be no real difference in crowds or opening times.
This is my go-to weather forecast webbie. Looks to be dry from Sunday, at least. If the weatherís nice on Monday, Iíd suggest you go that day, since who knows if itíll stay nice for the next day.

Iíve got excrementally good fršnkisches Winterbockbier to trade/give away, but not sure if Iíd have time to do a big session -- assuming you wanted to meet.

Are you considering Cafť Abseits?
4/17/2013 11:07:06 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback