RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Cycling. Bamberg; Salzburg, Rothenburg; Cologne

read 4380 times • 74 replies • posted 3/26/2013 8:36:43 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

Erlangernick 1:2
Keep an eye on Roppelt’s webbie, specifically the daily opening times bit near the top where it says "18 April Unser Bierkeller ist heute ab 14.30 Uhr geöffnet". Should be clear what that means, ja?

I bring it up because *normal* Kellersaison opening times are "ab 11.00" Mon - Tue, but since we had such a fooking late start this year, they’re only opening the Keller at 14 - 14.30. This week anyway, maybe it’ll be from 11.00 next week. At any rate, it just means head to the Kreuzberger Keller(s) first if you arrive at 11.00 or 12.00.

Or...pop in the brewery if you arrive early, though the Kellerbier never seems as good there, maybe it’s filtered or summat. Because of the extended winter, they haven’t had a clean switch-over from Brauereigaststätte operation to Bierkeller operation: they run the former for lunch, then move over to the latter for the afternoon - evening. For the bulk of the Kellersaison, the Gaststätte is closed, everything happens at the Keller.

And the Weizen is brewed by Rittmayer in Hallerndorf, despite the Roppelt glassware. He admits this freely; it’s actually a common practice round here when a lager brewer has Hefeweizen brewed by another brewery.
4/17/2013 11:23:21 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
harrisoni 13737:21
Let us know how you get on JK as I’ll be doing the same in about 4 weeks time. Thanks
4/17/2013 11:39:26 PM

premium
JK 4441:283
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by JK
Would you recommend Monday or tuesday, or it makes no difference?

AFA the Bierkeller(s) I keep harping about go, no. Both are "stink-normal" workdays here, so there should be no real difference in crowds or opening times.
This is my go-to weather forecast webbie. Looks to be dry from Sunday, at least. If the weather’s nice on Monday, I’d suggest you go that day, since who knows if it’ll stay nice for the next day.

I’ve got excrementally good fränkisches Winterbockbier to trade/give away, but not sure if I’d have time to do a big session -- assuming you wanted to meet.

Are you considering Café Abseits?

yes planning on it. I would be up for meeting if we can make it work.
4/18/2013 7:53:16 AM

No idea if you’ve arrived, but in any case, Roppelt’s Keller appears to be closed today, despite it being a lovely day, as well as the "Day of German Beer", Reinheitsgebot-Day.
http://www.brauerei-roppelt.de/index.php?id=11

But the Brauereigaststätte is probably open if you do attempt a visit, as well as the Bierkeller(s) up on the Kreuzberg hill.
4/22/2013 11:32:19 PM

premium
I had a great time in Bamberg. I more or less followed Mikes cycling route. In Munchen now, and I will have a full report when I return.

My thanks to Nick and Mike and everyone else for the great advice.

Fussen, Rothenburg, and Cologne with Aachen and Dusseldorf to come.
4/26/2013 8:55:56 AM

premium
Can you just put your bike on the train from Bamberg to say Eggolsheim or Buttenheim without a special ticket or pre-booking?

I’ll be hiring my bike as suggested above and then doing both the suggested cycle routes.
5/7/2013 2:34:51 AM

Originally posted by harrisoni
Can you just put your bike on the train from Bamberg to say Eggolsheim or Buttenheim without a special ticket or pre-booking?

I’ll be hiring my bike as suggested above and then doing both the suggested cycle routes.

You *can* do whatever you want. You *may* not take a bike along without a ticket.

That aside, a bike basically costs a Kinderticket, a child’s ticket, which is half an adult. For single trips, it’s most cost effective for one person with a bike to simply buy a single adult & single child ticket. For return trips, buy a "TagesticketPlus", a day ticket plus, which enables you unlimited travel within the particular zone you specify for 1-2 adults with 2 bikes.

Bamberg - Eggolsheim: single journey 5,10 € + 2,60 € = 7,70 € or Tagesticket 14 €. www.vgn.de is the webbie for the Nürnberg mass transit region, under whose jurisdiction the areas in question lie. Not the best-designed webbie, but it works.

No reservations for these trains, that’s only for the IC and certain super-fast RE trains. No bikes allowed on ICEs.

With my puppy in his puppy wagon in tow, I end up paying two adult fares -- one for me, and half each for the bike and puppy. The wagon is free.

D’oh! My prices above were for a trip to Bamberg with a connection in Forchheim, making it a zone or so longer and more expensive. Should be 4 € + 2,10 € = 6,10 € for the single journeys, so your TagesticketPlus is an even better deal.
5/7/2013 7:04:20 AM

premium
Right I’ve bought a tagesticketplus for Bamberg to Eggolsheim for zone 4 at €10.40 which it said was ok for that journey with a bike and lasts all weekend by the looks of it.
5/7/2013 9:35:25 AM

Originally posted by harrisoni
Right I’ve bought a tagesticketplus for Bamberg to Eggolsheim for zone 4 at €10.40 which it said was ok for that journey with a bike and lasts all weekend by the looks of it.

You’ve bought one already? To arrive per post? Indeed, Tagestickets bought on Saturday are also valid for Sunday. An awesome...erm...fantastic deal.

D’oh! My prices above were for a trip to Bamberg with a connection in Forchheim, making it a zone or so longer and more expensive. Should be 4 € + 2,10 € = 6,10 € for the single journeys, so your TagesticketPlus is an even better deal.
5/7/2013 11:34:24 PM

premium
Mikes ride was actually somewhat challenging. Several times I had to get off the bike and walk up a hill. An issue encountered was many of the breweries were not open for lunch, at least on Monday.

One thing to keep in mind is much of the route would be quite dangerous in the dark, so factor that in to your time.
5/8/2013 7:21:12 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers