RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Cycling. Bamberg; Salzburg, Rothenburg; Cologne

read 4465 times • 74 replies • posted 3/26/2013 8:36:43 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

premium
3fourths 8238:1352
Originally posted by JK
Mikes ride was actually somewhat challenging. Several times I had to get off the bike and walk up a hill. An issue encountered was many of the breweries were not open for lunch, at least on Monday.

One thing to keep in mind is much of the route would be quite dangerous in the dark, so factor that in to your time.

as always assess the terrain and make a decision for yourself if a route is worth taking based on your cycling experience and interest.

as for danger, best to consult a cycle path map and stick to it if you’re cycling at night.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2FM7uFLnveWVVFrUWcweDV4MHc/edit?usp=sharing
5/8/2013 8:08:26 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
JK 4615:296
Yeah I’m not complaining, just out of shape. Even on some of the paths I would not want to ride on a black night, especially after drinking.
5/8/2013 8:11:11 AM

premium
harrisoni 14138:22
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by harrisoni
Right I’ve bought a tagesticketplus for Bamberg to Eggolsheim for zone 4 at €10.40 which it said was ok for that journey with a bike and lasts all weekend by the looks of it.

You’ve bought one already? To arrive per post? Indeed, Tagestickets bought on Saturday are also valid for Sunday. An awesome...erm...fantastic deal.

D’oh! My prices above were for a trip to Bamberg with a connection in Forchheim, making it a zone or so longer and more expensive. Should be 4 € + 2,10 € = 6,10 € for the single journeys, so your TagesticketPlus is an even better deal.

As you say, the VAG website wasn’t easy to negotiate (took a good 40 minutes to get exactly what I wanted) but Google translate was invaluable and yes I can choose to get the ticket by post, like I have for the D Bahn tickets which are already in my sweaty palms.

I arrive in Bamberg on Friday 17th and drink around Bamberg, Saturday I intend to do the Mike journey, Sunday do yours from Eggolsheim and then Monday do Buttenheim and Hirschaid.

Any advice, as always, would be valued.
5/8/2013 12:08:30 PM

premium
Originally posted by 3fourths
Originally posted by JK
Mikes ride was actually somewhat challenging. Several times I had to get off the bike and walk up a hill. An issue encountered was many of the breweries were not open for lunch, at least on Monday.

One thing to keep in mind is much of the route would be quite dangerous in the dark, so factor that in to your time.

as always assess the terrain and make a decision for yourself if a route is worth taking based on your cycling experience and interest.

as for danger, best to consult a cycle path map and stick to it if you’re cycling at night.

So are these breweries/pubs open all day Saturday? when I come on 18th May am I on a wild goose chase? I hope to be in Memmelsdorf by 12.00 and then do the following through the afternoon. If Hohn, Goller, Zoiglstube, Hoh and Gastatten are going to be closed Saturday afternoon then I might have to reconsider my plan.
5/8/2013 12:17:20 PM

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by 3fourths
Originally posted by JK

So are these breweries/pubs open all day Saturday? when I come on 18th May am I on a wild goose chase? I hope to be in Memmelsdorf by 12.00 and then do the following through the afternoon. If Hohn, Goller, Zoiglstube, Hoh and Gastatten are going to be closed Saturday afternoon then I might have to reconsider my plan.

I say, do my previously posted route (different map here) on Saturday: Kreuzberg, Stiebarlimbach, Hallerdorf. If you put it off til Sunday, you’ll be fighting massive crowds and queues, because that’s when EVERYONE from Nürnberg & Erlangen heads to those places. Here’s an elevation profile of the Eggolsheim - Schlammersdorf - Trailsdorf - Hallerndorf - Stiebarlimbach - Kreuzberg route. (Steigungen = climbs, Gefälle = descents)My advice: lock your bike at Stiebarlimbach and hike up the trail through the woods and then back down from the Kreuzberg, then roll downhill from "Stiebie" back to the train the way you came.

Even as Mike said earlier, several of the places on his route (profile I’ve taken the liberty of making here) are skippable. Okay, you want to tick/rate them, so you need to get to them someday, but the beer’s much better out the other direction, the exceptions being Gänstaller and the two in Geisfeld.

My suggestion for Sunday is Straßgiech (not open Saturday, only Sunday lunch?) - Geisfeld - Roßdorf am Forst - Strullendorf, a map for which could look like this. A profile is here. Strullendorf has a fabulous Keller (Schwanenkeller, made "famous" by the late great John White) with Buttenheimer Löwenbräu, actually a cooler Keller IMO than the Buttenheimer one.

The climbs between the 12 and 21 km marks to Geisfeld are a bitch, but so worth it.

From Strullendorf, on the train with your TagesticketPlus to Eggolsheim for Witzgall. Also Franconian whisky at the Blaue Maus along with CO2 draught Mönchshofer Schwarzbier, or at least there was years ago anyway.

Or don’t take the advice of someone who’s lived and biked in the area for years.....I can provide other maps and GPS data if you want.
5/9/2013 2:51:42 AM

premium
Ok happy to go with those suggestions thamks for the map. can you say which stops i should make in each town on the sunday? thanks
5/9/2013 11:33:53 AM

Ok happy to go with those suggestions thamks for the map. can you say which stops i should make in each town on the sunday? thanks

Saturday: Stiebarlimbach - 3 Kreuzberg Keller(s) - Schlammersdorf. The Dorfkeller in Hallerndorf has the same beer, served the same way as Lieberth’s Kreuzbergkeller, so no pressing need to stop there.

Sunday: Straßgiech - Geisfeld - Roßdorf am Forst - Strullendorf

Also, Forchheim, if you ain’t been, is well worth a visit. The Kellerwald there has to be experienced too.
5/10/2013 1:18:38 AM

premium
OK, got maps, opening times etc. so thanks a lot Nick will let you know how I get on. Drunkenly I would expect. Can’t wait.
5/14/2013 11:55:17 AM

OK, got maps, opening times etc. so thanks a lot Nick will let you know how I get on. Drunkenly I would expect. Can’t wait.

If you can, change your plans and come to Franken *now*, based on the weather!
5/15/2013 12:10:44 AM

premium
Dedollewaitor 14110:362
Looking forward to hear about your trip , Ian. Doing a few of those places myself later this summer!
5/15/2013 1:55:55 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers