Dan Carey (New Glarus) just said three magic words

Reads 3630 • Replies 40 • Started Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:23:04 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 21:32 Thu 6/7/2012

Originally posted by OSLO
Originally posted by BBB63
Given the epic failures of R & D Golden Ale, Unplugged Old English Porter and Unplugged Cram-bic combined with the simply okay R & D Bourbon Barrel Kriek and Gueuze... I couldn’t care less about a NG sour program... even if Enigma/Sour Brown was wonderful (key word, was).

Nothing done has shown me that NG can do a soured program anywhere near the level of Russian River let alone those classic Belgian breweries.

this hater is gonna hate.

Good, more for me then. I absolutely loved Old English Porter and Cran-bic. In fact, Old English Porter is in my top 50, and I feel I was conservative with my rating of it.

have at it, you will not seeing me buying any of it, just like I have stopped throwing money away buying Upland "sours".

Suttree
beers 7122 º places 260 º 05:30 Fri 6/8/2012

Originally posted by SpringsLicker
Originally posted by joet
dedicated, Lambic, cellar

Wowzers!

http://www.facebook.com/newglarusbrewing

I think the magic words should be: "Expanding our distribution".

Yeah...

JoePeesie
beers 924 º places 68 º 05:49 Fri 6/8/2012

Originally posted by SpringsLicker
Originally posted by joet
dedicated, Lambic, cellar

Wowzers!

http://www.facebook.com/newglarusbrewing

I think the magic words should be: "Expanding our distribution".

yep and if not that then "New Unplugged Eisbock"

Given the epic failures of R & D Golden Ale, Unplugged Old English Porter and Unplugged Cram-bic combined with the simply okay R & D Bourbon Barrel Kriek and Gueuze... I could care less about a NG sour program... even if Enigma/Sour Brown was wonderful (key word, was).

Nothing done has shown me that NG can do a soured program anywhere near the level of Russian River let alone those classic Belgian breweries.

I think the past results are part of the reason they are doing the separation. As far back as a couple years ago they were talking about wanting to do sours in a separate facility. They have concerns (and probably rightly so) about wild yeast contamination of their everyday offerings. They don’t want to kill the spotted calf that has allowed them to become a pretty solid brewery. While us beer dorks enjoy the unique offerings from brewers, their everyday offerings sold everywhere that beer is sold in WI are what does and always will keep them in business.

CLevar
places 23 º 06:21 Fri 6/8/2012

Originally posted by OSLO
Given the epic failures of R & D Golden Ale, Unplugged Old English Porter and Unplugged Cram-bic combined with the simply okay R & D Bourbon Barrel Kriek and Gueuze... I couldn’t care less about a NG sour program... even if Enigma/Sour Brown was wonderful (key word, was).

Good, more for me then. I absolutely loved Old English Porter and Cran-bic. In fact, Old English Porter is in my top 50, and I feel I was conservative with my rating of it.

Don’t you mean more for ME. The 8 bottles of cranbic I had this year were not nearly enough....

ryan
beers 3185 º places 13 º 06:30 Fri 6/8/2012

This makes zero sense. Their "lambics" have been very disappointing. Why not invest these resources into increased lager production... which is something they actually excel at and do better than 99% of American brewers. I guess they’d rather be the 50th best sour beer producer in a county that generally sucks at making the style.

Dumb.

levifunk
beers 12 º 09:07 Fri 6/8/2012

Originally posted by ryan
This makes zero sense. Their "lambics" have been very disappointing. Why not invest these resources into increased lager production... which is something they actually excel at and do better than 99% of American brewers. I guess they’d rather be the 50th best sour beer producer in a county that generally sucks at making the style.

Dumb.

Breakdown of their lambics-
Cranbic - I’m not entirely sure if its an actual lambic base. Either way, its a good beer. Also, its $10 for a 4pack! Find me a more approachable sour beer for the non-beer nerds of the world.

R&D Geuze - Good beer, not amazing, but good. It was a blend of 6 month lambic and 18mo lambic. Basically it was very young and for that reason didn’t have the depth and complexity many hoped for. All the more reason to start a lambic cellar.

R&D BBK - Another good lambic. Its a bourbon barrel aged cherry lambic. It tasted exactly as such. What do you have to compare it to that you can call that bad?

That picture there shows 3 oak foeders and is entitled "More oak tanks arrive today", implying that there are others. With that kind of investment into a lambic operation, I wouldn’t be surprised if they built a coolship soon. They are scaling up their lambic operation. You need scale to be able to keep some barrels back each year and build a cellar that has 3 year old lambic on oak.

tennisjoel
beers 2229 º places 53 º 09:11 Fri 6/8/2012

Originally posted by ryan

Dumb.

+1 The Old English Porter was undrinkable, Enigma was the only sour gem I’ve had from them. They make the best lagers in the country, as well as hefes, and even though I’m not a huge fruit beer fan, Belgian Red and Rasp Tart are both solid. And Moon Man might be the best pale ale I’ve ever tried.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 09:18 Fri 6/8/2012

This reminds me I need to drive up to Wisconsin this weekend and buy 10 or so cases of Moon Man, Totally Naked, and Dancing Man which will only be about $28 out the door if I drive up with Bangs Chol.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 09:22 Fri 6/8/2012

Also, to think a brewery like this is going to fail at making this style is laughable. New Glarus has put out some of the most consistently solid beers in so many styles its unreal. I have complete faith that they will be making world class beer with the new setup.

levifunk
beers 12 º 09:27 Fri 6/8/2012

Originally posted by pepsiedcan
Also, to think a brewery like this is going to fail at making this style is laughable. New Glarus has put out some of the most consistently solid beers in so many styles its unreal. I have complete faith that they will be making world class beer with the new setup.

+1 exactly