Dandelion Blossom Saison

Reads 2991 • Replies 22 • Started Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:05:22 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 16:59 Mon 4/23/2012

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by bitbucket
I’m guessing I need to pick a couple of quarts of dandelion blossoms?

For 5 gallons, I’d pick 8 - 10 quarts which equals 800 - 1000 grams or about 28 - 35 oz.

From everything I’ve read, making the tea for two days is a necessity. As is separating the petals from the rest of the plant. You can obviously do it however you want to, but I just figured that if I’m putting this much time into it, I want to do it right. FWIW, it took me about 2 hours to pick enough flowers to end up with 25.7 oz (about 760 g) of petals. It took me 7 hours to depetal them. Certainly a large time investment, but I think it’ll be well worth it.

I just racked this dandelion beer to the secondary on Saturday. Didn’t taste it, but it smelled quite different. I’ll definitely report back when it is conditioned enough to be worth tasting.

Thanks!

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 17:47 Mon 4/23/2012

Just got some good advice from a brewing friend who reminded me that I don’t have to wait until brew day to figure out how things might taste. I can make small batches (8oz. or so?) of dandelion tea using different amounts of blossoms with boiling or steeping or a combination to determine how much flavor I’ll get and what method I like. Gotta love prototyping.

HornyDevil
17:53 Mon 4/23/2012

I agree with you, but this is for an AHA event and the BJCP style guide for Saison says "SRM: 5 – 14". 12oz. just barely squeaks in at 5. FWIW, the NHC 2010 gold medal Saison had "0.6 lb (272 g) Durst Munich malt".

I suppose this beer really falls into category 21. Spice/Herb/Vegetable or 23. Specialty and in the grand scheme of things the color is not so important no matter what the style is.

FWIW, you’ll get some color from the dandelion tea as it comes out quite yellow after the steeping. Can’t really factor that in via a brewing program.

SuzyGreenberg
beers 1604 º places 32 º 09:40 Tue 4/24/2012

Hey Bob....sounds pretty cool...I’m going to be doing something very similar in the next few weekends, so it will be fun to compare the results...hope to be ready for NHC...I think I’ll be making my tea with dried dandelion instead though...mostly pils with some white wheat and vienna...and with Wyeast 3711 probably

HornyDevil...did you add the tea towards the end of the boil? that’s what I plan on doing (maybe 2 gals into a 10 gal batch) but haven’t done the math yet to figure out what gravity I need the boil at prior to the tea to hit my final gravity, etc...going to make a little batch of tea this weekend to see how it tastes

HornyDevil
11:47 Tue 4/24/2012

Originally posted by SuzyGreenberg
HornyDevil...did you add the tea towards the end of the boil? that’s what I plan on doing (maybe 2 gals into a 10 gal batch) but haven’t done the math yet to figure out what gravity I need the boil at prior to the tea to hit my final gravity, etc...going to make a little batch of tea this weekend to see how it tastes

I used the tea as sparge water. That way you don’t have to worry about any changes in gravity. Worked great.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 22:05 Wed 4/25/2012

Originally posted by SuzyGreenberg
Hey Bob....sounds pretty cool...I’m going to be doing something very similar in the next few weekends, so it will be fun to compare the results...hope to be ready for NHC...I think I’ll be making my tea with dried dandelion instead though...mostly pils with some white wheat and vienna...and with Wyeast 3711 probably

Hi Ben!

I think we need to meet at The Home for Wayward Brewers and brew a collaboration batch.

HornyDevil
15:07 Sun 6/3/2012

Bottled this beer today. It came in at 1.002 and looked and smelled lovely. I’ll report back when it carbonates as to the taste.

CLevar
places 23 º 15:10 Sun 6/3/2012

Bottled this beer today. It came in at 1.002 and looked and smelled lovely. I’ll report back when it carbonates as to the taste.

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing how it turned out

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 16:50 Sun 6/3/2012

That sounds fabulous. Due to some "challenges" on brew day we overshot our strike temperature. It’s still working but I’ll be happy if it gets down to 1.010. Tastes great, but kinda sweet.

seymour
beers 2594 º places 50 º 06:42 Wed 7/11/2012

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt
79% 8 8 Weyermann Pilsner
14% 1 8 Wheat, Red
7% 0 12 Munich Malt

Personally, I’d ditch the Munich unless you want this beer to be perceived as malty. Even 3/4ths a lb. would be too much, IMO. I think that you’d want it to have a clean malt profile with the yeast and the dandelions taking center stage.

I might just do that.

I agree with you, but this is for an AHA event and the BJCP style guide for Saison says "SRM: 5 – 14". 12oz. just barely squeaks in at 5. FWIW, the NHC 2010 gold medal Saison had "0.6 lb (272 g) Durst Munich malt".

I suppose this beer really falls into category 21. Spice/Herb/Vegetable or 23. Specialty and in the grand scheme of things the color is not so important no matter what the style is.

So, how did it turn out?

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer