RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Dark Horse in a Nickelback video?

read 3072 times • 36 replies • posted 3/30/2010 12:02:45 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

puzzl 3249:138
Private message Send the author a private message

Schroppfy 2360:13
Originally posted by puzzl
http://www.fermentationnation.com/2010/03/dark-horse-brewing-courted-by-canadian.html#8947776620447724874

Yeah, those folks and Nickleback donít mix.
Plus, like Nickleback knows fuck all about Dark Horse beer; itís all the LP name thing. Lame.
3/30/2010 12:05:33 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
JoeMcPhee 8411:508
Who gives a shit what itís about... it was a great opportunity.
3/30/2010 12:07:47 PM

premium
TheAlum 5687:10
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee

...are you the rarity that is a Nickelback fan?
3/30/2010 12:14:52 PM

premium
beersage
I think it depends on Dark Horseís situation. If things are going well there and they are at or near capacity, they may not have much of a reason to go against their morals (assuming that they are not Nickleback fans). If they are looking to keep growing and expanding then I donít see why they wouldnít just take the offer. Itís not like people tear down other breweries for appearing in mainstream tv shows, movies and commercials, right?
3/30/2010 12:20:10 PM

phaleslu 6397:402
They should stick to their guns and tell the band no thanks. The best play for them could be to ídeliberateí for a while with this decision, get as much publicity about it as possible, and then announce the decision to pass on the offer. That way, they get peopleís attention and still get to keep their dignity intact, looking like the badass punk rock craft brewer turning down the lame butt rock band. Most people who hear about this would throw their support behind Dark Horse for turning down the likes of Nickelback; itís a great opportunity for free publicity.

Chances are, if they accepted the offer, theyíd turn off people with good taste (i.e. those that donít like Nickelback but do like craft beer), and Nickelback fans would probably assume that the beer name and labels were made up to promote the current album and this video/song. So accepting it might not be that much of a sales boost anyway.
3/30/2010 12:33:57 PM

gunhaver 1030:13
idiots
3/30/2010 12:34:54 PM

premium
JoeMcPhee 8411:508
If you turn on a brewer because a less than stellar band uses their products, youíre an even bigger idiot. I agree about the growth issue... if they are where they want to be, thereís no point messing with it.
3/30/2010 12:39:23 PM

puzzl 3249:138
Originally posted by beersage
I think it depends on Dark Horseís situation. If things are going well there and they are at or near capacity, they may not have much of a reason to go against their morals

Publicity (and thus demand) is always a good thing whether or not you are at capacity. The greater demand exceeds supply, the easier it is to expand.

Now, whether they wanted to advertise to this target group through these kinds of channels is up to them, and though economically it made no sense to turn down the offer, I canít disagree with them for it. They are a small, artisinal brewery, and they care more about preserving their image as such and honing their craft on a small scale. All power to them, I say. Besides the potential snobbery of the decision, the world would be a better place if more businesses followed their lead and put quality before profits.
3/30/2010 12:40:06 PM

OKBeer 1171:33
Originally posted by FlssmrBrewAlum
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee

...are you the rarity that is a Nickelback fan?

No, thatíd be Tibeerious.
3/30/2010 12:42:57 PM

premium
HonkeyBra 3344:13
Theyíd be doing damage to their brand name by appearing in this video. So, no, itís not stupid.
3/30/2010 1:08:57 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers