RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Dark Horse turns down Nickelback endorsement

read 6089 times • 92 replies • posted 6/26/2012 11:39:00 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

CharmCityCrab 151:
Originally posted by b3shine
Then they should have made sure to not insult the brewery by sending someone who did there homework and at least knew they used bottles.

You canít expect everyone to be an expert on everything. I am sure the Dark Horse people donít know which particular brand of guitar Nickelbackís lead guitar guy favors either. Itís almost irrelevant.

The guy setting up the video knew that there was a beer that had the same name as the bandís latest album at the time and thought itíd be a good fit. Sounds like the lead singer even recommended it because he drank the stuff. So, they offered the brewery some free publicity.

The brewery guy kind of thumbed his nose at the guy and told him to shove off either because the brewery guy a) Didnít want free publicity from a band he personally didnít care for or b) Thought his beer was somehow "too cool" for a popular band that itís "cool" for a certain segment of the population to hate.

The brewer comes off as a person who thinks heís too good for most people. Granted, itís not as bad as whatís on Arrogant Bastardís actual label, but I donít care for the brewery that makes that stuff either. In general, I donít like people who think they are better than everyone else.

And additionally, I respect Dark Horse for making this decision. Pairing their brewery name with a frat party indirectly reinforces underage drinking (because not all fraternity members are 21), and doesnít exactly follow the responsible drinking messages brewers are trying to support either.

College kids drink. Who cares? The drinking age in this country really should be 18 anyway.
6/26/2012 12:39:07 PM

Private message send the author a private message

CharmCityCrab 151:
Originally posted by drewba
You canít possibly believe anything of this, right? RIGHT?

Sure do.
6/26/2012 12:40:36 PM

premium
RABinCO 1293:80
Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
Sounds like the Dark Horse beer guy is kind of a jerk. The lead singer of a popular band likes his beer and wants to give it a ton of free publicity and the brewerís response is essentially "Go f yourself." because he doesnít like popular music? Reinforces a lot of negative sterotypes about craft beer brewers being elisit and snobby.

I mean, Iím not saying the guy has to love Nickelback or anything, but you can easily dislike the music and still take the free publicity from a popular band and thank the lead singer and his reps for giving you the opportunity. I mean, there are bands I donít like, but you can bet if I were a craft brewer and a popular band I didnít like offered to feature my beer in his video, Iíd pull up my truck as quickly as humanly possible and thank him profusely.

Itís simple: People with good taste like craft beer. Everyone else likes Nickelback. If DH has become "That beer from the Nickelback video" people would be rightfully embarrassed to be seen drinking it.
6/26/2012 12:41:57 PM

CharmCityCrab 151:
Originally posted by Ryan82SMAs a business owner, if I didnít want my product tied to the image of a certain advertiser, then thatís within my right. If youíd do differently with your business, then that is literally "your business."

Nickelback may be popular among the masses, but among micro brew drinkers? Thatís a gamble. Have you considered that accepting Nickelbackís "help" may do Dark Horse more harm than good? Think about the perception of a band that "sells out," what does that do to their careers?

I think it says something negative about micro brew drinkers that theyíd be less likely to drink a beer featured in a popular bandís video. I thought craft beer enthusiasm was supposed to be all about how the beer tastes, right? If craft drinkers would really stop drinking a beer because it got featured in a music video for a popular band, what it would tell me about them is that they are really no different from the hipsters who are big into Pabst Blue Ribbon or the well off people who only drink imports to differentiate themselves from the blue collar guy buying the Budweiser (Even though the imports may be stuff that taste about the same). That itís more about being perceived as "different" or "superior" than it is about the beer.
6/26/2012 12:44:09 PM

tronraner 2459:109
Yeah, Nickleback has a horrible public image. DH would risk losing customers by associating with them. On the flip side, they got some free press by refusing, too, and that press is out among their actual target audience. Hmm. Seems like they chose wisely to me.
6/26/2012 12:45:13 PM

gkost 1710:32
Sounds like the Dark Horse beer guy is kind of a jerk. The lead singer of a popular band likes his beer and wants to give it a ton of free publicity and the brewerís response is essentially "Go f yourself." because he doesnít like popular music? Reinforces a lot of negative sterotypes about craft beer brewers being elisit and snobby.

I mean, Iím not saying the guy has to love Nickelback or anything, but you can easily dislike the music and still take the free publicity from a popular band and thank the lead singer and his reps for giving you the opportunity. I mean, there are bands I donít like, but you can bet if I were a craft brewer and a popular band I didnít like offered to feature my beer in his video, Iíd pull up my truck as quickly as humanly possible and thank him profusely.

Some companies actually care about protecting the sanctity of their brand.
6/26/2012 12:45:17 PM

premium
b3shine 5438:263
Originally posted by b3shine
Then they should have made sure to not insult the brewery by sending someone who did there homework and at least knew they used bottles.

You canít expect everyone to be an expert on everything. I am sure the Dark Horse people donít know which particular brand of guitar Nickelbackís lead guitar guy favors either. Itís almost irrelevant.

College kids drink. Who cares? The drinking age in this country really should be 18 anyway.

Except the Dark Horse people arenít approaching Nickleback with a business proposal. So itís relevant. Your point is actually what is irrelevant. And I suppose we should just turn a blind eye to the law too, since (in your opinion) "the drinking age in this country really should be 18 anyway." I could not disagree with you more on your stances, especially the second.
6/26/2012 12:47:01 PM

premium
admin
joet 2172:91
Now Dark Horseís site wonít load -- traffic errors.
6/26/2012 12:52:04 PM

drewba

The guy setting up the video knew that there was a beer that had the same name as the bandís latest album at the time and thought itíd be a good fit. Sounds like the lead singer even recommended it because he drank the stuff. So, they offered the brewery some free publicity.

The brewery guy kind of thumbed his nose at the guy and told him to shove off either because the brewery guy a) Didnít want free publicity from a band he personally didnít care for or b) Thought his beer was somehow "too cool" for a popular band that itís "cool" for a certain segment of the population to hate.

The brewer comes off as a person who thinks heís too good for most people. Granted, itís not as bad as whatís on Arrogant Bastardís actual label, but I donít care for the brewery that makes that stuff either. In general, I donít like people who think they are better than everyone else.

You are drawing massive conclusions. Your four paragraphs are longer than the entire Dark Horse blog post.

Dark Horse isnít Anheuser Busch, they donít require marketing or approval from a shitty band. Iím not sure why youíre so flabbergasted that DH isnít interested in associating themself with Nickelback.
6/26/2012 12:54:22 PM

CharmCityCrab 151:
Originally posted by b3shineAnd I suppose we should just turn a blind eye to the law too, since (in your opinion) "the drinking age in this country really should be 18 anyway." I could not disagree with you more on your stances, especially the second.

Iím sure all the actors in the video are 21 or older. And people who are 21 or older *do* attend college, after all. So, it wouldnít be turning a blind eye to the law.

As far as feeling the legal drinking age should be 18, I donít like that we criminalize something that almost everyone does and harms no one. I mean, who here didnít drink in college at least once before the age of 21? Yeah, by all means, penalize drunk driving, but, no, I donít think some 19 year old drinking a beer or two with some friends should be sent to jail for the night or whatever for that supposed offense.

In fact, a lot of the problems we have with alcohol in this country come from the fact that alcohol is considered a "forbidden fruit" and people arenít able to learn to drink responsibility at a younger age while still under parental supervision. In places like Italy, itís not unusual for families to have wine with dinner, and, you know what, when those young people get older, they have far fewer problems with alcohol because they learn to appreciate in moderation at a younger age and have their parents there to role model it for them.
6/26/2012 1:01:11 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers