RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Dark Horse turns down Nickelback endorsement

read 5861 times • 92 replies • posted 6/26/2012 11:39:00 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

aedeos
lol someone defending nickleback as a viable branding opportunity. Now Iíve seen it all.
6/26/2012 1:05:30 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
peteinSD 1281:56
Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
Sounds like the Dark Horse beer guy is kind of a jerk. The lead singer of a popular band likes his beer and wants to give it a ton of free publicity and the brewerís response is essentially "Go f yourself." because he doesnít like popular music? Reinforces a lot of negative sterotypes about craft beer brewers being elisit and snobby.

I mean, Iím not saying the guy has to love Nickelback or anything, but you can easily dislike the music and still take the free publicity from a popular band and thank the lead singer and his reps for giving you the opportunity. I mean, there are bands I donít like, but you can bet if I were a craft brewer and a popular band I didnít like offered to feature my beer in his video, Iíd pull up my truck as quickly as humanly possible and thank him profusely.

you would never be a craft brewer
6/26/2012 1:07:47 PM

premium
radarsock 823:48
Originally posted by drewba
Sounds like the Dark Horse beer guy is kind of a jerk. The lead singer of a popular band likes his beer and wants to give it a ton of free publicity and the brewerís response is essentially "Go f yourself." because he doesnít like popular music? Reinforces a lot of negative sterotypes about craft beer brewers being elisit and snobby.

I mean, Iím not saying the guy has to love Nickelback or anything, but you can easily dislike the music and still take the free publicity from a popular band and thank the lead singer and his reps for giving you the opportunity. I mean, there are bands I donít like, but you can bet if I were a craft brewer and a popular band I didnít like offered to feature my beer in his video, Iíd pull up my truck as quickly as humanly possible and thank him profusely.

You canít possibly believe anything of this, right? RIGHT?
Actually, yes. The first point I thought was quite good: that craft beer enthusiasts/brewers may indeed take themselves too seriously, when in fact itís just beer and not too many people will in fact give a shit to it when compared to the radio or televised entertainment.

Clearly the rep for Nickelback didnít have any knowledge of Dark Horse however these people are supposed to be this way, are they not? When I think of Hollywood I think of up-tight fucks that sniff wine and tell other people how ugly their clothing is. The smaller guy should be the bigger guy.
6/26/2012 1:11:02 PM

CharmCityCrab 142:
Originally posted by aedeos
lol someone defending nickleback as a viable branding opportunity. Now Iíve seen it all.

Nickelbackís music is consistently at the top of the charts- both in terms of air play and of music sales. There must be a lot of people listening to this stuff and enjoying it. Numbers donít lie.

Now, Iíll freely admit, I think everything theyíve done after Silver Side Up has been pretty bland, and so many of their songs essentially being pro-conformity, some going so far as to sound like public service announcements, strikes me as being kind of lame for a rock band. And the fact that they remind me of some white trash neighbors I had some big problems with a while back doesnít help.

But, in the end, theyíre popular, so, yeah, if I were a brewer and they offered to promote my beer for free, Iíd take the free promotion. Iím not going to look down my nose at tens of millions of potential customers just because they like a certain type of music.

And, the truth is, despite all the admitted issues many folks, myself included, have with Nickelback, their music really isnít *that* bad. Itís close enough to generic over the air radio hard rock that itís widely palatable (Albeit perhaps not often loved). Iíll admit, Iíve got a few of their albums, when they were on-sale, and they come up in mixes and donít annoy the heck out of me or anything. Theyíll never be one of my favorite bands, but they arenít offensive, and they have a certain amount of skill (albeit not without much creativity to go along with it, and not so much skill that they particularly stand out for it).
6/26/2012 1:13:23 PM

b3shine 4429:233
Originally posted by b3shine

In fact, a lot of the problems we have with alcohol in this country come from the fact that alcohol is considered a "forbidden fruit" and people arenít able to learn to drink responsibility at a younger age while still under parental supervision. In places like Italy, itís not unusual for families to have wine with dinner, and, you know what, when those young people get older, they have far fewer problems with alcohol because they learn to appreciate in moderation at a younger age and have their parents there to role model it for them.

Yeah. And rockstars glorifying it in music videos of frat parties chock full of underage drinkers...
6/26/2012 1:14:02 PM

aedeos
Just because something is popular doesnít mean it meshes with the brand of your product. Iím glad you can write at length, but youíre still missing the core tenets of why youíre wrong.
6/26/2012 1:14:22 PM

premium
pepsican 1419:45
على الأقل كان من كولدبلاي التي تقدم للمساعدة في مهدها.
6/26/2012 1:18:53 PM

CharmCityCrab 142:
Originally posted by peteinSD
you would never be a craft brewer

Sometimes I donít even know why Iím a craft *drinker*, except that I like the taste of the beer, and trying different styles. I certainly donít like the way itís priced, and I donít fit in with generalizations of craft drinkers as a group- i.e. I donít drink it to make some sort of a statement, I donít hate adjunct lagers (I drink them, too), and I donít think of myself as being somehow better than people who donít care for it.

Now, I do have a friend who hates beer and only drinkers cider. Him I consider myself better than. ;) Just kidding. :) I respect everyoneís right to choose what most appeals to them.
6/26/2012 1:18:58 PM

premium
radarsock 823:48
Originally posted by aedeos
Just because something is popular doesnít mean it meshes with the brand of your product. Iím glad you can write at length, but youíre still missing the core tenets of why youíre wrong.
Do you write John Waters scripts in your free time, because, damn, that was shocking!

6/26/2012 1:19:25 PM

JMerritt 1745:72
But, in the end, theyíre popular, so, yeah, if I were a brewer and they offered to promote my beer for free, Iíd take the free promotion. Iím not going to look down my nose at tens of millions of potential customers just because they like a certain type of music.

So, you have no integrity then. Now your comments make complete sense.
6/26/2012 1:19:52 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers