RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Dark Horse turns down Nickelback endorsement

read 6225 times • 92 replies • posted 6/26/2012 11:39:00 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

premium
b3shine 5738:272
Originally posted by kryptic
Originally posted by b3shine

Wow...

The fact that this country is such a nanny state and everything is illegal and thus taboo, is one of the big reasons that the kids have such alcohol, drug, etc. problems in this country. The taboo nature of making everything illegal only encourages people, ESPECIALLY young people, to do it.

The exogenous variables of your causal model are confounded by the fact that the media (via youthful advertising campaigns) and celebrities (both musician and non-musician) glorify the use of the substances you mention. And cross-cultural differences that you assume are constant across countries. Life isnít that simple. Not everything is illegal in the U.S., and there is a great deal of differences at the county level, nevermind nationally. If you want to see a policed state, try China. Or Iran.
6/26/2012 2:45:37 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
drowland 6134:172
6/26/2012 2:51:17 PM

sarro 122:5
OFN
6/26/2012 2:56:05 PM

premium
drowland 6134:172

Wow...

The fact that this country is such a nanny state and everything is illegal and thus taboo, is one of the big reasons that the kids have such alcohol, drug, etc. problems in this country. The taboo nature of making everything illegal only encourages people, ESPECIALLY young people, to do it.

The exogenous variables of your causal model are confounded by the fact that the media (via youthful advertising campaigns) and celebrities (both musician and non-musician) glorify the use of the substances you mention. And cross-cultural differences that you assume are constant across countries. Life isnít that simple. Not everything is illegal in the U.S., and there is a great deal of differences at the county level, nevermind nationally. If you want to see a policed state, try China. Or Iran.

I thought you bowed out!
6/26/2012 3:42:26 PM

premium
b3shine 5738:272
Originally posted by drowland

Wow...

I thought you bowed out!

I did, but this guy irritates the shit out of me, so I threw my hat back in ;)
6/26/2012 4:04:29 PM

premium
shrubber85 7873:238
They could save a lot of problems by naming their next album "Lime-A-Rita".
6/26/2012 4:20:04 PM

CharmCityCrab 152:
Originally posted by Ryan82SM
So... letís get to the core here- a brewery *must* accept the invitation from a popular group regarding an advertising opportunity?

So, if you were president, would you, letís say, sign an executive order on the matter?

No, Iím not saying the brewery should be compelled by law to agree to anything like this. Iím just saying their reaction to it makes them seem kind of snobby and elitist. It lowers my opinion of them. Not that Iíve ever heard of this beer in the first place.

I think they have every legal right in the world to act snobby and elitist. Doesnít mean Iím going to agree with them or cheer them on, though.
6/26/2012 4:39:48 PM

CharmCityCrab 152:
Originally posted by JMerritt
So, you have no integrity then.

Yeah, thatís clearly exactly what I was trying to say.
6/26/2012 4:40:57 PM

premium
sthlm 1232:137
Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
Originally posted by Ryan82SM
So... letís get to the core here- a brewery *must* accept the invitation from a popular group regarding an advertising opportunity?

So, if you were president, would you, letís say, sign an executive order on the matter?

No, Iím not saying the brewery should be compelled by law to agree to anything like this. Iím just saying their reaction to it makes them seem kind of snobby and elitist. It lowers my opinion of them. Not that Iíve ever heard of this beer in the first place.

I think they have every legal right in the world to act snobby and elitist. Doesnít mean Iím going to agree with them or cheer them on, though.

Youíve never heard of Dark Horse? Theyíre a solid brewery, and they distribute to Pennsylvania.
6/26/2012 4:44:13 PM

CharmCityCrab 152:
Originally posted by OSLO
Youíve never heard of Dark Horse? Theyíre a solid brewery, and they distribute to Pennsylvania.

I buy 99% of my beer in Maryland. I hate the case law with a bloody passion that only increases the longer I live here. Occasionally a situation will come around where Iím not going down to Maryland for anything where I can swing by a beer shop on the way back, or where canít afford the trip, and Iíll buy a case of something really cheap up here, but I avoid that as much as I can.

I like variety. Instead of a case or 30 pack, maybe getting a couple of 12 packs and a 6 pack, or whatever. Canít do that in Pennsylvania. The only "bottle shops" in my area are bars and stuff, where they have a limited selection and the prices are outrageous. Saw a more proper bottle shop in PA, but it was further away from the place I go to in Maryland, and the prices made my eyes bug out of my skull.

Some suggest buying several cases at a time, but I donít drink *that* much beer. It wouldnít be fresh by the time I finished with the stuff, and I donít like to lay out all that money all at one time. What I do like is being able to choice between a few things when I open my fridge and having the opportunity to drink two different types of beers (even if theyíre the same style) when Iím drinking two beers.

Now, people say you save money at the case stores, but the case prices I see when I rarely enter one are about the price of 4 six-packs in Maryland. Iíd rather get the 4 six packs and have variety. Or get 2 12 packs and save money while adding variety. Or even a case in Maryland where itís cheaper.

Of course, people will probably jump in on the thread and defend Pennsylvaniaís outrageous restrictions on beer sales, because thereís always someone willing to defend anything that annoys me. ;) One of the most ridiculous set of alcohol laws Iíve seen. Makes Maryland look like a beer buying paradise by comparison, which is pretty sad, because Maryland restricts alcohol sales to liquor stores and has a 9% sales tax on alcohol purchases. But at least they donít make you buy by the freaking case (Pennsylvania does), or not allow beer and wine sales in the same stores (Pennsylvania doesnít).

Anyhow, donít know if Dark Horse is in Maryland or not, but I havenít seen them.
6/26/2012 5:02:36 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers