RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Dark Horse turns down Nickelback endorsement

read 6035 times • 92 replies • posted 6/26/2012 11:39:00 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

daysinthewake
Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
Sounds like the Dark Horse beer guy is kind of a jerk. The lead singer of a popular band likes his beer and wants to give it a ton of free publicity and the brewerís response is essentially "Go f yourself." because he doesnít like popular music? Reinforces a lot of negative sterotypes about craft beer brewers being elisit and snobby.

I mean, Iím not saying the guy has to love Nickelback or anything, but you can easily dislike the music and still take the free publicity from a popular band and thank the lead singer and his reps for giving you the opportunity. I mean, there are bands I donít like, but you can bet if I were a craft brewer and a popular band I didnít like offered to feature my beer in his video, Iíd pull up my truck as quickly as humanly possible and thank him profusely.

Smart people should be weary of the potential loss of credibility the could get from endorsements of celebrities. Nickelback sucking as a band might have fueled the decision.

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/06/22/how-celebrity-endorsements-can-backfire/
6/26/2012 5:14:38 PM

Private message send the author a private message

SudsMcDuff 5806:183
publicity on that scale.. hmmm...
6/26/2012 5:30:09 PM

Allouez86 1
Sounds like the Dark Horse beer guy is kind of a jerk. The lead singer of a popular band likes his beer and wants to give it a ton of free publicity and the brewerís response is essentially "Go f yourself." because he doesnít like popular music? Reinforces a lot of negative sterotypes about craft beer brewers being elisit and snobby.

I mean, Iím not saying the guy has to love Nickelback or anything, but you can easily dislike the music and still take the free publicity from a popular band and thank the lead singer and his reps for giving you the opportunity. I mean, there are bands I donít like, but you can bet if I were a craft brewer and a popular band I didnít like offered to feature my beer in his video, Iíd pull up my truck as quickly as humanly possible and thank him profusely.

Maybe not because he doesnít like popular music, but maybe instead because he doesnít like horrible music... my .02
6/26/2012 5:31:59 PM

CharmCityCrab 149:
Sorry if I was unnecessarily harsh and offended anyone. No offense was intended. Just canít go along with the group-think on this one. But people have every right to agree with the brewery on this one if they want, just like the brewery had every right to turn Nickelback down, and I have every right not to agree with the brewery. :)
6/26/2012 5:43:32 PM

ContemplateBeer 1525:111
Sorry if I was unnecessarily harsh and offended anyone. No offense was intended. Just canít go along with the group-think on this one. But people have every right to agree with the brewery on this one if they want, just like the brewery had every right to turn Nickelback down, and I have every right not to agree with the brewery. :)
Life goes on (and so do we); keep playiní datí beer gizzame.
6/26/2012 7:50:34 PM

kryptic
Originally posted by b3shine
Originally posted by drowland
Originally posted by kryptic

Wow...

The fact that this country is such a nanny state and everything is illegal and thus taboo, is one of the big reasons that the kids have such alcohol, drug, etc. problems in this country. The taboo nature of making everything illegal only encourages people, ESPECIALLY young people, to do it.

The exogenous variables of your causal model are confounded by the fact that the media (via youthful advertising campaigns) and celebrities (both musician and non-musician) glorify the use of the substances you mention. And cross-cultural differences that you assume are constant across countries. Life isnít that simple. Not everything is illegal in the U.S., and there is a great deal of differences at the county level, nevermind nationally. If you want to see a policed state, try China. Or Iran.

I thought you bowed out!

I did, but this guy irritates the shit out of me, so I threw my hat back in ;)

Wow, talk about butthurt. I "irritate the shit out of you" because I made one comment the other week about you trying to play forum police? (which you were and do) So now everything I say "irritates the shit out of you"? Perhaps you should get a life beyond the beer forums if you are getting so worked up over something like that.

6/27/2012 7:20:40 AM

JMerritt 1786:72
Originally posted by JMerritt
So, you have no integrity then.

Yeah, thatís clearly exactly what I was trying to say.

Yeah, it actually is. You claimed that a brewery should partner with any musician offering free publicity, regardless of the quality/style/ethics/whathaveyou of said musician so long as the musician is popular.

Do you honestly not see the lack of integrity involved with having this thought process?

6/27/2012 7:27:30 AM

JLLSU 238:1
What channel still plays music videos?
6/27/2012 7:39:08 AM

premium
b3shine 5304:262

Wow...

The fact that this country is such a nanny state and everything is illegal and thus taboo, is one of the big reasons that the kids have such alcohol, drug, etc. problems in this country. The taboo nature of making everything illegal only encourages people, ESPECIALLY young people, to do it.

The exogenous variables of your causal model are confounded by the fact that the media (via youthful advertising campaigns) and celebrities (both musician and non-musician) glorify the use of the substances you mention. And cross-cultural differences that you assume are constant across countries. Life isnít that simple. Not everything is illegal in the U.S., and there is a great deal of differences at the county level, nevermind nationally. If you want to see a policed state, try China. Or Iran.

I thought you bowed out!

Wow, talk about butthurt. I "irritate the shit out of you" because I made one comment the other week about you trying to play forum police? (which you were and do) So now everything I say "irritates the shit out of you"? Perhaps you should get a life beyond the beer forums if you are getting so worked up over something like that.

That wasnít the first time youíve made snide remarks towards me. And I wasnít policing shit; I have a major problem with shameless self promotion (which whether or not it was, I was led to believe it was at that time). And itís against the rules. People point the rules out all the time, but you made a statement saying Iím trying to police all the time, and thatís bullshit. You wanted to piss me off and you did. Now deal with the repercussions when you go after my comments. Also funny how with all the controversy in this thread, you keyed in on that one particular comment of mine...

And furthermore, you didnít even address your flawed logic. You probably heard that from some moron in a bar and have been perpetuating the same bullshit ever since. Do us both a favor and donít be an armchair social scientist; leave that to the people who actually know what theyíre talking about.

6/27/2012 8:02:15 AM

kryptic

Wow...

I thought you bowed out!

That wasnít the first time youíve made snide remarks towards me. And I wasnít policing shit; I have a major problem with shameless self promotion (which whether or not it was, I was led to believe it was at that time). And itís against the rules. People point the rules out all the time, but you made a statement saying Iím trying to police all the time, and thatís bullshit. You wanted to piss me off and you did. Now deal with the repercussions when you go after my comments. Also funny how with all the controversy in this thread, you keyed in on that one particular comment of mine...

And furthermore, you didnít even address your flawed logic. You probably heard that from some moron in a bar and have been perpetuating the same bullshit ever since. Do us both and donít be an armchair social scientist; leave that to the people who actually know what theyíre talking about.

There was no flawed logic. You have a different opinion, that doesnít mean you are correct. And in the other thread, one person made a joking comment, and you decided to jump in based on that comment and took it to a whole different level and started playing forum police and making comment after comment about the guy derailing the entire thread. And for the record, the drinking age in China is 18.
6/27/2012 8:04:25 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers