Dayton, OH July 5-7

Reads 1884 • Replies 16 • Started Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:09:17 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DalzAle
beers 2046 º places 14 º 17:09 Wed 6/10/2015

Going to be in town for a business trip, anything cool to check out while I’m in town?

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 17:10 Wed 6/10/2015

Isn’t Dayton where Pinups & Pints is?!

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 17:23 Wed 6/10/2015

Originally posted by TheAlum
Isn’t Dayton where Pinups & Pints is?!

This is a strip club. Small stage with a pole and women who strip topless to loud music. It is in rural Dayton. They make a pale ale, and when I was there it was not very good. They warned me it was an off batch. They have a full bar and other beers, and half naked women. The brewery is a hook, and it may be just an idea to get a liquor license. At the end of the day this is a strip club.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4582 º 17:40 Wed 6/10/2015

jsquire
beers 6960 º places 321 º 18:22 Wed 6/10/2015

The Oregon District has a nice concentration of beer places. Warped wing, toxic, 5th Street are all pretty close to each other and are doing interesting things. Carillon is really cool if you are into the history of beer.

That’s my review of pinup and pints. It is an interesting place tick but it is not good for either beer or titties.

For non beer stuff the air force museum is a huge draw.

thebaldwizard
beers 1210 º places 7 º 18:57 Wed 6/10/2015

Should I come visit you while you’re in town?

bgburdman9
beers 861 º places 25 º 23:30 Wed 6/10/2015

I would recommend hitting yellow springs, warped wing, fifth street, and dayton beer co. I have not been to the new DBC location but I have heard its pretty sweet. The food is pretty good at fifth street but the other places listed may just have food trucks. Definitely hit up belmont party supply for bottles and check out Ollies taproom for a solid beer bar. Ollies just opened today but its owned by the people who own Belmont and their opening draft list was pretty ridiculous.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16532 º places 792 º 09:55 Thu 6/11/2015

Are you going to have a car? Will you have much free time? Where are you staying?

jsquire’s suggestions are solid. Downtown, you can walk to the Oregon District for Warped Wing and Toxic. 5th Street is a bit further east, not too far. The new Dayton Beer Co. location is huge and in the heart of downtown; haven’t been there yet.

Carrillon is down near UD, a little south of downtown. I haven’t been yet, but apparently they’re trying to do everything as it was in the 1850s. It’s in a historic park.

Within 10 minutes south of downtown, you can drive to the other DBC location and Eudora. These aren’t essential, and I would stop in only if you’ve been to the others and have more time to kill.

Pinups & Pints (a strip club with 1-2 beers on tap) and Hairless Hare are northeast and north of the city, respectively, along I-70. HH is right by the airport. I haven’t been to either yet.

Yellow Springs is about 20 minutes east of Dayton, a cool little hippie town. I enjoy the brewery quite a bit and am going back next month.

Lock 27 is about 15-20 minutes south in Centerville. Really good place if you have time to get down there. Miamisburg is southwest of the city and has two breweries - Star City and Lucky Star - within a block of each other. They’re okay.

And that’s every Dayton-area brewery. You’re lucky that you’re heading there now and not in 2012, when the city had exactly 0 breweries (DBC was the first to open, late that year; the rest are less than 2 years old).

DalzAle
beers 2046 º places 14 º 11:19 Thu 6/11/2015

Originally posted by thebaldwizard
Should I come visit you while you’re in town?

Possibly, it looks like I’m probably doing dinner with one of my copywriters and her fiance on Sunday night. Monday might be doable unless my boss wants to have dinner with me. If I pack a bag, I might be able to swing an IP trade if anyone is interested.

DalzAle
beers 2046 º places 14 º 11:20 Thu 6/11/2015

Thanks for all the tips. I might have a car and hotel is still TBD at this point.

123chug
places 29 º 21:27 Thu 6/11/2015

Originally posted by DalzAle
Going to be in town for a business trip, anything cool to check out while I’m in town?

For sure go to the South Park Inn or maybe it’s called the South Park Tavern.
Great beer selection, good pizza, salads. Nice friendly place.
Cozy little neighborhood tavern.