RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

De Molen Raad & Daad

read 1190 times • 23 replies • posted 7/1/2013 9:48:12 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
77ships 4297:117
Originally posted by 502F
So it was an awful piece of crap that De Mollen shouldnt sell if they cared about the consumer (according to your earlier post), and you gave it a 3.8?

I like pure vinegar / acetone brews & I am not the only one. There are plenty brews like that which have gotten 90+ score on RB. They are not as good as a properly made sour but they can still be fun.
7/2/2013 4:04:50 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
sthlm 1233:137
De Molen has made some good beers, but Iím unlikely to ever buy another bottle from them due to their combination of high prices, quality control issues, and abysmal customer service. Not that I can address any issues with Raad & Daad specifically.
7/2/2013 6:57:29 AM

premium
caesar 5321:301
Originally posted by GT2
This would not be the first time for some infection issues

Well, it was supposed to be extremely sour, that was exactly their intention. :P
7/4/2013 12:08:35 AM

premium
sebletitje 6895:306
Originally posted by sthlm
De Molen has made some good beers, but Iím unlikely to ever buy another bottle from them due to their combination of high prices, quality control issues, and abysmal customer service. Not that I can address any issues with Raad & Daad specifically.

I agree that since they expanded their production and started mass producing BA version of this, BA version of that, with single hop version of another beer, many of their beers have been quite so so.
7/4/2013 1:23:02 AM

premium
77ships 4297:117
Originally posted by sebletitje
Originally posted by sthlm

I agree that since they expanded their production and started mass producing BA version of this, BA version of that, with single hop version of another beer, many of their beers have been quite so so.

Luckily Holland has a lot of excellent breweries to offer which are making great beers without infection and consistent high quality. Breweries like Emelisse, La Trappe, Rooie Dop, Oersoep, Natte Gijt etc.
7/4/2013 1:53:26 AM

premium
Recently had íT Ij, great beers as well.
7/4/2013 2:49:35 AM

premium
GT2 8741:613
Originally posted by caesar
Originally posted by GT2

Well, it was supposed to be extremely sour, that was exactly their intention. :P

Misread this then. Didnít realize we were splitting up two sours. I thought one was normal and one soured accidently...which makes the splitting of the beers even more strange.
7/4/2013 2:53:14 AM

premium
caesar 5321:301
Originally posted by GT2
Originally posted by GT2

Misread this then. Didnít realize we were splitting up two sours. I thought one was normal and one soured accidently...which makes the splitting of the beers even more strange.

To summarise:
Bottled: blond in color, more aroma of horseblanket and typical Brett funky stuff. Medium sour
Tap: amber color, more aroma of balsamic vinegar. Sour to the most extreme you have ever tasted.

Btw: we do split sours more often. To mention jonge & oude Lambik, which is kind of strange we do that when you think about it.
7/4/2013 3:14:21 AM

premium
I would not even compare lambics (the way they are in Belgium) with brewers doing some experimentation with wild yeasts (many strains) which many cannot control, then have an unexpected batch go bad - sour, and label it a sour beer. I call it, cheating your customers.
7/4/2013 3:20:10 AM

premium
chriso 7428:436
Originally posted by GT2
Originally posted by GT2

Actually more like splitting a sour from a draught vinegar Iíd say! Although I havenít tasted the bottled version so I have no clear basis for comparison. To be fair I was warned, and offered a taster of the draught, at De Molen but, hey, Iím a sourhead so I shrugged it off. In De Wildeman told me that they had a keg and took it off immediately when they realised it was pure vinegar.
7/4/2013 3:21:38 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers