RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Dme and starters


read 592 times • 19 replies • posted 12/12/2013 10:46:48 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

keanex 1491:57
Well the starter will likely be oxidized. It might not matter in such a big beer, but in a smaller beer it may. I donít have anything to back that up though.
12/14/2013 8:28:27 AM

Private message send the author a private message


HornyDevil
Originally posted by keanex
Well the starter will likely be oxidized. It might not matter in such a big beer, but in a smaller beer it may. I donít have anything to back that up though.


How is the starter getting oxidized?
12/14/2013 8:32:12 AM

Private message send the author a private message


keanex 1491:57
Constantly being shaken/stirred. I also use tin-foil instead of an airlock.
12/14/2013 9:01:57 AM

Private message send the author a private message


HornyDevil
Originally posted by keanex
Constantly being shaken/stirred. I also use tin-foil instead of an airlock.


How long are you allowing your starter to sit there with aluminum foil on the top?
12/14/2013 1:41:52 PM

Private message send the author a private message


bitbucket 2159:63
Originally posted by keanex
I just toss it all in, itís not enough to worry about in my opinion.

Yep. Your calculated OG/FG are just estimates.

If you really care deeply about the exact OG, measure it after youíve tossed in the starter.

12/14/2013 4:46:16 PM

Private message send the author a private message


bitbucket 2159:63
Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by keanex
Constantly being shaken/stirred. I also use tin-foil instead of an airlock.


How long are you allowing your starter to sit there with aluminum foil on the top?

Doesnít constantly being shaken/stirred imply itís not just sitting there?

BTW, I prefer stirred not shaken.
12/14/2013 5:00:46 PM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
TheBeerSommelier
Oxidation isnít an issue for starters if you do them correctly.

Ideally, the yeast should be breezing through the lag phase and grinding through the growth phase, during the starterís 24-hour work-life. The highest cell counts are achieved by using a stir plate, constantly introducing O2 the entire time. Doing it manually will work too, but not as well. Cheese cloth cover works well.

The next day is the pre-low krausen halt, by sticking it in the fridge. Pour off as much liquid as possible, warm at room temp, pitch, drink good beer.
12/14/2013 8:00:29 PM

Private message send the author a private message


HornyDevil
Originally posted by TheBeerSommelier
Oxidation isnít an issue for starters if you do them correctly.

Ideally, the yeast should be breezing through the lag phase and grinding through the growth phase, during the starterís 24-hour work-life. The highest cell counts are achieved by using a stir plate, constantly introducing O2 the entire time. Doing it manually will work too, but not as well. Cheese cloth cover works well.

The next day is the pre-low krausen halt, by sticking it in the fridge. Pour off as much liquid as possible, warm at room temp, pitch, drink good beer.


^^^^ ALL of this
12/15/2013 3:53:15 AM

Private message send the author a private message


keanex 1491:57
Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by keanex
Constantly being shaken/stirred. I also use tin-foil instead of an airlock.


How long are you allowing your starter to sit there with aluminum foil on the top?
I pitch into a starter 24 hours before pitching into the batch. I like to have the starter in full force before pitching. I havenít gotten around to making a stir plate yet so I swirl/shake the yeast once every hour that Iím awake.
12/15/2013 8:13:22 AM

Private message send the author a private message

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search
Add A Beer
Add A Brewer
Add A Place
Events
membership
Log In
Edit Personal Info
Buy Premium Membership
Your Messages
the best
RateBeer Best
100 Beer Club
The Top 50