Dme and starters

Reads 875 • Replies 19 • Started Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:46:48 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 08:28 Sat 12/14/2013

Well the starter will likely be oxidized. It might not matter in such a big beer, but in a smaller beer it may. I don’t have anything to back that up though.

HornyDevil
08:32 Sat 12/14/2013

Originally posted by keanex
Well the starter will likely be oxidized. It might not matter in such a big beer, but in a smaller beer it may. I don’t have anything to back that up though.

How is the starter getting oxidized?

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 09:01 Sat 12/14/2013

Constantly being shaken/stirred. I also use tin-foil instead of an airlock.

HornyDevil
13:41 Sat 12/14/2013

How long are you allowing your starter to sit there with aluminum foil on the top?

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 16:46 Sat 12/14/2013

I just toss it all in, it’s not enough to worry about in my opinion.

Yep. Your calculated OG/FG are just estimates.

If you really care deeply about the exact OG, measure it after you’ve tossed in the starter.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 17:00 Sat 12/14/2013

Originally posted by HornyDevil

How long are you allowing your starter to sit there with aluminum foil on the top?

Doesn’t constantly being shaken/stirred imply it’s not just sitting there?

BTW, I prefer stirred not shaken.

TheBeerSommelier
20:00 Sat 12/14/2013

Oxidation isn’t an issue for starters if you do them correctly.

Ideally, the yeast should be breezing through the lag phase and grinding through the growth phase, during the starter’s 24-hour work-life. The highest cell counts are achieved by using a stir plate, constantly introducing O2 the entire time. Doing it manually will work too, but not as well. Cheese cloth cover works well.

The next day is the pre-low krausen halt, by sticking it in the fridge. Pour off as much liquid as possible, warm at room temp, pitch, drink good beer.

HornyDevil
03:53 Sun 12/15/2013

Originally posted by TheBeerSommelier
Oxidation isn’t an issue for starters if you do them correctly.

Ideally, the yeast should be breezing through the lag phase and grinding through the growth phase, during the starter’s 24-hour work-life. The highest cell counts are achieved by using a stir plate, constantly introducing O2 the entire time. Doing it manually will work too, but not as well. Cheese cloth cover works well.

The next day is the pre-low krausen halt, by sticking it in the fridge. Pour off as much liquid as possible, warm at room temp, pitch, drink good beer.

^^^^ ALL of this

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 08:13 Sun 12/15/2013

Originally posted by HornyDevil

I pitch into a starter 24 hours before pitching into the batch. I like to have the starter in full force before pitching. I haven’t gotten around to making a stir plate yet so I swirl/shake the yeast once every hour that I’m awake.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer