Do all Crystal malts taste relatively the same

read 4581 times • 26 replies •

Thread Frozen
beers 1004 º places 41 º 19:33 Thu 11/1/2012

Only one thing adds mouthfeel... more malt. As far as crystal malts, they vary INCREDIBLY from one maltster to the other. I don’t find one maltster even the slightest bit close to another in aroma, flavor or color. They are clearly their own artists just as we are. They are not beholden to any one set of guidelines or testing, but I can appreciate that, and use my non-year-round beers to find out what I think of different crystal and other specialty malts.

beers 2160 º places 63 º 20:21 Thu 11/1/2012

Originally posted by erway
Only one thing adds mouthfeel... more malt.

We’re talking about residual proteins and dextrins. It seems like there should be multiple ways to affect those numbers.

beers 2443 º places 18 º 21:44 Thu 11/1/2012

mmm crystals

06:19 Fri 11/2/2012

Originally posted by erway
Only one thing adds mouthfeel... more malt.

Surprised that you would say something like this.

Sure, adding more malt resulting in a higher finishing gravity will add mouthfeel, but more protein and glycerol enhance mouthfeel as well.

beers 1004 º places 41 º 06:30 Fri 11/2/2012

My personal opinion is that, the more malt in a beer (and this can result in higher FG obviously) the more mouthfeel you will have. As far as crystal malt, I have never been able to add body with it. Perception of body though color, aroma, and flavor? Sure. Never andy mouthfeel though.

beers 12 º places 3 º 07:24 Fri 11/2/2012

Mash temp can also affect mouthfeel too.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer