RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Does the cost of the beer influence your rate?

read 943 times • 30 replies • posted 11/25/2012 8:02:53 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
biggsbowler 261:17
I have had some expensive beers before like Utopias, Special Kay, Tactical Nuclear Penguin, and some others that were pass the $50 mark. Plus Iíve had a lot of beers costing between $20-30. Maybe too myself I thought it wasnít worth the money, but I never reflected in my rates (I donít rate too much).

As I was looking at the Bolt Cutter rates, I noticed on most of the poor rates 3 and below, people complaining about the cost of the bottle. I think to myself, if I did that when rating Utopias, I would probably give it a 2 because of its $200 price tag, but Iím not rating the cost of the beer, but the beer itself. Are people people going to shit on the Lost Abbey Box Set that cost them $450, because it doesnít taste like $450 worth of beer.

What do you guys think about the cost of beer in determining your rate?
Private message Send the author a private message

DalzAle 1975:13
Originally posted by biggsbowler
I have had some expensive beers before like Utopias, Special Kay, Tactical Nuclear Penguin, and some others that were pass the $50 mark. Plus Iíve had a lot of beers costing between $20-30. Maybe too myself I thought it wasnít worth the money, but I never reflected in my rates (I donít rate too much).

As I was looking at the Bolt Cutter rates, I noticed on most of the poor rates 3 and below, people complaining about the cost of the bottle. I think to myself, if I did that when rating Utopias, I would probably give it a 2 because of its $200 price tag, but Iím not rating the cost of the beer, but the beer itself. Are people people going to shit on the Lost Abbey Box Set that cost them $450, because it doesnít taste like $450 worth of beer.

It affects my overall rating. If the taste of the beer doesnít live up to the asking price, I knock a few points off.
11/25/2012 8:05:17 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
deyholla 6595:302
I personally do my best not to take the value of a beer when rating. I figure you chose to pay X amount for a beer so at that point it is a sunk cost and price therefore price should not enter the equation.
11/25/2012 8:08:26 AM

premium
ReggieDunlap 3049:142
The cost of beer certainly influences the rate at which i drink them! But no...i try not to worry about those things. I drink what I like as best I can.
11/25/2012 8:11:01 AM

TooManyBeers 1:
Even though I donít rate beer the cost wouldnít influence my rate if I did. However it would influence whether or not I buy the beer again. Regardless of price the beer is what it is.
11/25/2012 8:14:53 AM

premium
HogTownHarry 6064:28
No.
11/25/2012 8:14:59 AM

premium
biggsbowler 261:17
Originally posted by DalzAle
Originally posted by biggsbowler

It affects my overall rating. If the taste of the beer doesnít live up to the asking price, I knock a few points off.

I could see lowering the overall rating, but taste, aroma, and color donít determine the cost of the beer, which Iíve notice in some of rants on the Bolt Cutter rates.

Iíve had bad cheap and expensive beers. I donít think I would rate everything about a Miller High Life (The champagne of beers) less than a Miller Lite because it costs more to drink.

Ive gotten burned on $20 bottles. I donít remember tasting them and thinking to myself this doesnít taste like a $20 beer. Maybe pissed at myself for spending $20, but oh well, I just wonít buy it again. That is life for a raging alcoholic.
11/25/2012 8:32:05 AM

premium
StefanSD 2112:45
The cost if very high or very low might get a mention in the write up, so to that extent it does influence my ratings. Does it affect scores? No.
11/25/2012 8:39:35 AM

PhillyBeer2112 2522:65
Originally posted by StefanSD
The cost if very high or very low might get a mention in the write up, so to that extent it does influence my ratings. Does it affect scores? No.

This. Besides, I donít even know what "$450 worth of beer" tastes like.
11/25/2012 8:41:27 AM

premium
GT2 8354:585
Could go up or down. Up because you spent so much and want to rationalize that money spent with a review saying you enjoyed it. Down because you spent a lot and it sucked. I think it depends on who bought it. If I did, probably will be biased up. Of someone else did, Iíd be biased down to warn others not to pay the stupid price for it.
11/25/2012 9:26:03 AM

ContemplateBeer 1526:111
Echoing what has been said thusfar, it can go either way, really. In my ratings, I tend to more harshly judge beers that were hyped, expensive (which usually go hand-in-hand) or difficult to obtain.
11/25/2012 10:28:02 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers