Does the cost of the beer influence your rate?

Reads 1734 • Replies 30 • Started Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:02:53 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

biggsbowler
beers 635 º places 22 º 08:02 Sun 11/25/2012

I have had some expensive beers before like Utopias, Special Kay, Tactical Nuclear Penguin, and some others that were pass the $50 mark. Plus I’ve had a lot of beers costing between $20-30. Maybe too myself I thought it wasn’t worth the money, but I never reflected in my rates (I don’t rate too much).

As I was looking at the Bolt Cutter rates, I noticed on most of the poor rates 3 and below, people complaining about the cost of the bottle. I think to myself, if I did that when rating Utopias, I would probably give it a 2 because of its $200 price tag, but I’m not rating the cost of the beer, but the beer itself. Are people people going to shit on the Lost Abbey Box Set that cost them $450, because it doesn’t taste like $450 worth of beer.

What do you guys think about the cost of beer in determining your rate?

DalzAle
beers 2046 º places 14 º 08:05 Sun 11/25/2012

Originally posted by biggsbowler
I have had some expensive beers before like Utopias, Special Kay, Tactical Nuclear Penguin, and some others that were pass the $50 mark. Plus I’ve had a lot of beers costing between $20-30. Maybe too myself I thought it wasn’t worth the money, but I never reflected in my rates (I don’t rate too much).

As I was looking at the Bolt Cutter rates, I noticed on most of the poor rates 3 and below, people complaining about the cost of the bottle. I think to myself, if I did that when rating Utopias, I would probably give it a 2 because of its $200 price tag, but I’m not rating the cost of the beer, but the beer itself. Are people people going to shit on the Lost Abbey Box Set that cost them $450, because it doesn’t taste like $450 worth of beer.

It affects my overall rating. If the taste of the beer doesn’t live up to the asking price, I knock a few points off.

deyholla
beers 21611 º places 849 º 08:08 Sun 11/25/2012

I personally do my best not to take the value of a beer when rating. I figure you chose to pay X amount for a beer so at that point it is a sunk cost and price therefore price should not enter the equation.

reggiedunlop
beers 3729 º places 182 º 08:11 Sun 11/25/2012

The cost of beer certainly influences the rate at which i drink them! But no...i try not to worry about those things. I drink what I like as best I can.

TooManyBeers
beers 2 º 08:14 Sun 11/25/2012

Even though I don’t rate beer the cost wouldn’t influence my rate if I did. However it would influence whether or not I buy the beer again. Regardless of price the beer is what it is.

HogTownHarry
beers 9241 º places 28 º 08:14 Sun 11/25/2012

No.

biggsbowler
beers 635 º places 22 º 08:32 Sun 11/25/2012

Originally posted by DalzAle
Originally posted by biggsbowler

It affects my overall rating. If the taste of the beer doesn’t live up to the asking price, I knock a few points off.

I could see lowering the overall rating, but taste, aroma, and color don’t determine the cost of the beer, which I’ve notice in some of rants on the Bolt Cutter rates.

I’ve had bad cheap and expensive beers. I don’t think I would rate everything about a Miller High Life (The champagne of beers) less than a Miller Lite because it costs more to drink.

Ive gotten burned on $20 bottles. I don’t remember tasting them and thinking to myself this doesn’t taste like a $20 beer. Maybe pissed at myself for spending $20, but oh well, I just won’t buy it again. That is life for a raging alcoholic.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 08:39 Sun 11/25/2012

The cost if very high or very low might get a mention in the write up, so to that extent it does influence my ratings. Does it affect scores? No.

PhillyBeer2112
beers 3497 º places 102 º 08:41 Sun 11/25/2012

Originally posted by StefanSD
The cost if very high or very low might get a mention in the write up, so to that extent it does influence my ratings. Does it affect scores? No.

This. Besides, I don’t even know what "$450 worth of beer" tastes like.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 09:26 Sun 11/25/2012

Could go up or down. Up because you spent so much and want to rationalize that money spent with a review saying you enjoyed it. Down because you spent a lot and it sucked. I think it depends on who bought it. If I did, probably will be biased up. Of someone else did, I’d be biased down to warn others not to pay the stupid price for it.

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 10:28 Sun 11/25/2012

Echoing what has been said thusfar, it can go either way, really. In my ratings, I tend to more harshly judge beers that were hyped, expensive (which usually go hand-in-hand) or difficult to obtain.