RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Does the cost of the beer influence your rate?

read 950 times • 30 replies • posted 11/25/2012 8:02:53 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
blackflag321 481:45
I am not going to trash a beer that I think is overpriced or purposely rate it lower on appearance, aroma, etc., but I have to knock some points off in the overall score and mention it in my review. Likewise, I give overall points for the opposite situation-- an exceptional, reasonably priced beer.
11/25/2012 11:03:32 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
UDBeernut 1718:126
Reguardless of my ratings or the scarcity or hype around a beer, I have a tough time splurging on beer that is $20 let alone $30 or $40.
11/25/2012 12:03:44 PM

premium
MacBoost 1274:20
Originally posted by DalzAle

It affects my overall rating. If the taste of the beer doesnít live up to the asking price, I knock a few points off.

This
11/25/2012 12:32:05 PM

premium
BenH 2331:6
I wouldnít say I intentionally factor in the price of a beer when rating it but itís difficult for it not to play a part as it is something I am aware of when drinking it. It can work either way though, if I have paid a high price for a beer and it doesnít live up to my expectation then perhaps Iím harder on it, albeit unintentionally. Likewise if the beer does live up to my expectation then maybe I give it a higher score. Itís hard to say for sure unless I was to start drinking all my beers blind from now on. I have some very cheap and very expensive beers in both my top 50 and bottom 50 so it probably doesnít play much factor.
11/25/2012 12:32:47 PM

cbkschubert 2900:44
The price doesnít influence the score, but I will mention toward the end of the write-up if I think itís overpriced or a great value.
11/25/2012 12:47:39 PM

premium
bytemesis 3152:367
I try not to let it explicitly affect the rating, but it might take its toll subconsciously.

Of course that could go either way - do you pump it up because if you spent that much it HAS to bee good or you must have been an idiot to buy it, or do you knock it down becuase you are pissed about spending so much?
11/25/2012 12:51:49 PM

premium
Quevillon 2501:226
Originally posted by BlackIPA
Originally posted by DalzAle

It affects my overall rating. If the taste of the beer doesnít live up to the asking price, I knock a few points off.

This
Me to, anything that is expensive but ordinary in quality getís much less overall points than the same quality but cheaper.
11/25/2012 12:52:21 PM

premium
KyotoLefty 6450:476
There is still one guy whose answer I am waiting for...
11/25/2012 4:50:12 PM

premium
BREWMUSKCLES 2233:109
of course! if the beer is really good and it comes in at a good price that counts for added points to me. and why not? thereís too much greed and self worship in the world for 1 and also itís a chief way to earn loyalty and respect. ya know beer -may- still be the working manís drink at least world wide. unless they keep the prices low by screwing the workers. sadly even family businesses do that.
11/25/2012 4:56:46 PM

rxeight 1310:2
Somewhat. If the beer is fantastic compared to the price I will rate it slightly higher. Likewise, if it is overpriced I will knock it down. I think it has more to do with me rating according to my expectations rather than the price.
11/25/2012 5:29:28 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers