RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Does the cost of the beer influence your rate?

read 952 times • 30 replies • posted 11/25/2012 8:02:53 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
kp 10886:11
Price should not be a factor in the score. But so much of the score can be influenced by external factors like the environment and the friends sharing the beer. A mediocre beer on a sunny day surrounded by friends can seem much better than a great beer alone in the rain. So drinking an expensive beer that does not live up to the hype (most donít) can put a damper on your mood and affect the scores.
11/25/2012 5:29:35 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
StefanSD 2131:45
Originally posted by KyotoLefty
There is still one guy whose answer I am waiting for...

charmcitycrab?
11/25/2012 6:28:47 PM

premium
EithCubes 4890:228
Originally posted by HogTownHarry
No.

x2.
11/25/2012 6:53:31 PM

premium
Reid 1898:45
I will give a beer an extra point or so for value if its very good at a cheap price.
Its my way of acknowledging the brewers skill at getting a good beer at a low price point.
I am assuming using less expensive materials. For me that shows a good brewer.
11/25/2012 6:54:15 PM

premium
brokensail 10916:849
Like others have said, if a beer is a particularly good value or particularly expensive, Iíll mention it in my rating.

A recent example is Evil Twin Hipster Ale. A pretty good pale ale, but it was $4 for a 12 oz can, so I think I would probably scroll past in the future. Still gave it a pretty good rating, though.
11/25/2012 6:56:09 PM

premium
OldGrowth 2663:172
no, but Iíll bitch about it afterwards if itís mediocre or less...
11/25/2012 7:06:17 PM

premium
KyotoLefty 6450:476
Originally posted by StefanSD
Originally posted by KyotoLefty
There is still one guy whose answer I am waiting for...

charmcitycrab?

Where is he now when we need him?
11/26/2012 4:59:18 AM

premium
Brigadier 2975:263
Price can be a minor factor. For instance if I run across a $5.99 bomber that is phenomenal it might get a 0.2 bump upwards. Likewise if I have something that was $15+ but average at best it might lose a point.

Overall though I think it is better to rate based on the merits of the beer itself. Use the overall score if you are going to penalize it from something that has nothing to do with the experience itself.
11/26/2012 5:19:39 AM

premium
pushkinwow 2006:123
Usually by the time I get around to drinking something I forget what I spent...but I agree that if its expensive and I donít think its good it might suffer slightly, and unconsciously, in the overall rating.
11/26/2012 5:53:29 AM

McWorta 591:106
If you (royal you) do not know how to weigh your rating about quality then often one does that through the price. Quality-price perception. It should not be the case though as one always tastes something and you either like it or not. Also to understand the process of the beer being brewed, its story or basic philosophy are points to consider, but if at all nothing of this helps price offers the substitution. Though that has never happened yet so far. Usually when you rate you give yyour note and later you can if you fancy check how much the price was. Sometimes you will be surprised... in both directions
11/26/2012 8:52:04 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers