Does the same beer with different yeast strains warrant a new ejtry?

Reads 1745 • Replies 28 • Started Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:56:50 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

IPFreely
beers 1470 º places 143 º 07:01 Mon 7/28/2014

Was there a change in recipe from one yeast to the other, or did they just decide to brew tripels with two different yeast strains? Are either going to be discontinued? Will either be known going forward simply as ’tripel’ instead of ’abbey tripel’ or ’trappist tripel’?

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 08:09 Mon 7/28/2014

so they’re different recipes and indicated as such by the brewery. sounds like it’s extremely obvious that it’s two different beers.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 11:32 Mon 7/28/2014

Originally posted by gunhaver
so they’re different recipes and indicated as such by the brewery. sounds like it’s extremely obvious that it’s two different beers.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 06:20 Tue 7/29/2014

How have the brewery indicated that they are different strains? One batch’s bottles say ’trappist yeast’, one batches bottles say ’abbey yeast’, but the former class of strains is a subset of the latter. If a brewer put ’American hops’ on the side of one bottle and ’Cascade hops’ on the other, do we assume that they used different hops?

Actually, I don’t care.

ganache
beers 6773 º places 282 º 10:10 Tue 7/29/2014

While I do agree this particular situation is that easy, there seem to be broader consequences to reducing the decisive factor to ’recipe’, e.g., many people consider dry-hopping or barrel treatment to be part of the recipe.

I don’t envy the admins or their options. The site has to put itself through a series of contortions to maintain the current degree of order (which I find very workable), and while there’s some level of annoyance with the thousands of permutations of BA stouts and the like, it’s easy to imagine a far worse situation.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 10:32 Tue 7/29/2014

I see what you did there.

cheap
beers 8841 º places 328 º 13:45 Tue 7/29/2014

heheheh

tricyclist
beers 1125 º 14:58 Tue 7/29/2014

Arguably, they’d have to be different. While it’s similar yeast strains here, it’s still only a yeast strain difference. What if it was the difference of only a yeast strain, but a different yeast strain from a different region. Say, from Belgian to American. You’d go from an estery yeast to a clean yeast. Wouldn’t that justify a second entry... or would that only be a new entry because of a difference in style?