RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Drain Pour Economics

read 2626 times • 61 replies • posted 8/2/2012 12:57:43 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

ContemplateBeer 1496:107
So, you invest a good sum (whatís a good sum?) of money to buy a beer, and it turns out to be a drain pour.

Do you pour the beer out, regardless of cost, or do you finish it regardless, because of the investment?
Private message Send the author a private message

miketd 125
Dump it, no matter what I paid.
8/2/2012 12:59:32 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
DuffMan 6462:265
Fuck that pour it. Lifeís too short to suffer crap.
If itís crap food-- garbage it.
If itís a crap movie-- turn it off.
If itís a crap book-- toss it.
if itís a crap hockey match-- start a fight.
8/2/2012 1:00:15 PM

biggsbowler 249:17
Dump it. There are too many good beers to drink that will destroy my brain cells and liver.
8/2/2012 1:00:26 PM

premium
pepsican 1438:46
Dump it. I do this with a bunch of beer though. Nobody wants to drink blah blah barrel aged whatever with me and itís a 750ml. I can either sit on it for a year and have it get rotten or I could drink whatever I can stomach before retiring the bottle.
8/2/2012 1:03:49 PM

premium
jercraigs 7456:270
If its a drain pour its a drain pour... If its really that bad then why punish yourself further?
8/2/2012 1:05:59 PM

premium
Gary 1324:3
i drink it . im an alcoholic
8/2/2012 1:09:47 PM

premium
Leighton 10466:574
As far as economics go, youíre talking about ísunk costsí here. Personally, Iím a bit skeptical of sunk costs, but itís interesting to read the other posts here that go right along with traditional economic theory. Personally, I have never left a movie before it ended or abandoned a book before finishing. With regards to food, Iím pretty particular about what gets put in front of me so, generally, if it gets on to my plate itís been quite a deliberate decision and Iíll eat it. As far as beers go, it has to be absolutely undrinkable for me to not finish it. Itís probably a blend of stubborness and thriftiness that drives my decision-making when others would abide by sunk cost theory.
8/2/2012 1:10:27 PM

premium
3fourths 7859:1270
if itís in such poor shape that I think the brewery should have known better than to release it, Iíll cap it and take it back to the store for a refund.
8/2/2012 1:14:25 PM

premium
smith4498 2980:20
Usually I would hold my nose and chug it. No sense in wasting alcohol.

However, Iím trying to shrink my beer gut right now so Iím limiting my calories from beer. I try not to open anything thatís potentially a drain pour. Mostly drinking old favorites.
8/2/2012 1:18:26 PM

premium
DuffMan 6462:265
Originally posted by Leighton
As far as economics go, youíre talking about ísunk costsí here. Personally, Iím a bit skeptical of sunk costs, but itís interesting to read the other posts here that go right along with traditional economic theory. Personally, I have never left a movie before it ended or abandoned a book before finishing. With regards to food, Iím pretty particular about what gets put in front of me so, generally, if it gets on to my plate itís been quite a deliberate decision and Iíll eat it. As far as beers go, it has to be absolutely undrinkable for me to not finish it. Itís probably a blend of stubborness and thriftiness that drives my decision-making when others would abide by sunk cost theory.

I used to be like you.
Now Iím 41 years old with less time and lifespan, and thus less time (and tolerance)for crap! Respect the thriftiness though.
8/2/2012 1:19:41 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers