RateBeer

Drain Pour Economics

read 2753 times • 61 replies •

Thread Frozen

tommann
beers 3012 º places 13 º 16:16 Thu 8/2/2012

Iíve only dumped heavily infected beers, and Iíll normally drink them too. I wouldnít say iím skint, but money doesnít allow me to waste a beer and open another.

GT2
premium
beers 9410 º places 661 º 16:37 Thu 8/2/2012

I put them in the freezer. Then many months later I scale out the non frozen stuff if it was very high alcohol and see if it improved as an eisbock. One out of 20 end up being okay. BTW Travlr started this trend as far as I know.

Leighton
premium
beers 14389 º places 727 º 16:42 Thu 8/2/2012

Originally posted by GT2
I put them in the freezer. Then many months later I scale out the non frozen stuff if it was very high alcohol and see if it improved as an eisbock. One out of 20 end up being okay. BTW Travlr started this trend as far as I know.

Thatís awesome.

b3shine
premium
beers 6761 º places 293 º 16:46 Thu 8/2/2012

I havenít had a super-expensive/whale beer be THAT bad, but if I did, Iíd leave it in my glass and contact the brewery, telling them I think itís infected or that it wasnít properly sealed, and offer to return it (at their expense) for their judgement. I had a top-notch ($100+) bottle of wine that was corked that I purchased while in Sonoma, and I contacted the vineyard about it, and they apologized and replaced it. I would probably do the same thing. No guarantees, but if they wouldnít stand by their product, Iíd probably contact the BBB.

beerindex
16:50 Thu 8/2/2012

I have become increasingly apt to drain pour beers that I donít like. I think part of this comes from a shift in my drinking, to more regular ticking sessions with a partner, where we might open 8-12 bottles in a night (and then have some bourbon or scotch). Thereíve been multiple times where all but one or two beers were drain poured. After all, I donít want to get hammered generally, but especially in the middle of the week. And I donít need the extra calories either. So if it isnít good, it doesnít get finished. Hell, I seemed to be the only person dumping beer at MBGís festival in Ypsilanti last weekend.

blipp
premium
beers 7084 º places 170 º 16:57 Thu 8/2/2012

I wish I was as cool as you guys. If it wonít make me puke, Iím drinking it.

ContemplateBeer
beers 1777 º places 137 º 17:02 Thu 8/2/2012

Originally posted by b3shine
I havenít had a super-expensive/whale beer be THAT bad, but if I did, Iíd leave it in my glass and contact the brewery, telling them I think itís infected or that it wasnít properly sealed, and offer to return it (at their expense) for their judgement. I had a top-notch ($100+) bottle of wine that was corked that I purchased while in Sonoma, and I contacted the vineyard about it, and they apologized and replaced it. I would probably do the same thing. No guarantees, but if they wouldnít stand by their product, Iíd probably contact the BBB.
The BBB? Do they really get involved with microbrew?

tronraner
beers 2459 º places 109 º 17:04 Thu 8/2/2012

Mine go into an ongoing jug of homemade vinegar.

blipp
premium
beers 7084 º places 170 º 17:31 Thu 8/2/2012

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Originally posted by b3shine
The BBB? Do they really get involved with microbrew?

I think this is how you know youíve started taking things too seriously.

radarsock
beers 1120 º places 58 º 17:39 Thu 8/2/2012

I donít know, but when I read threads such as this one, it reminds me of an astounding amount of laziness. Perhaps plants could use the shitty beer to flourish (those that can tolerate alkalinity, of course).