RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

drink local?

read 881 times • 28 replies • posted 11/17/2012 7:46:31 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
reggiedunlop 3121:142
I fully understand and appreciate the drink local perspective. I drink local frequently. Iím lucky...tired hands, victory, iron hill, weyerbacher, troegs, sly fox, forrest and main...lots of goodies local to me! But i have one local place that I wont name that I want to succeed...and they are just making terrible beer. It got me to thinking...if local sucked altogether, what would I do!? Iíd go outside of local for sure! Anybody else face a dilemma with this?
Private message Send the author a private message

lithy 2996:156
Almost everyone in the Southeast.

It is one thing to enjoy supporting local and/or small business. I do.

It is quite another to actively give your money to a company that doesnít satisfy your needs as a customer.

Ultimately, you always have to vote with your dollar. If you donít vote for better beer, youíll get stuck with what you have for a long time.
11/17/2012 7:52:44 PM

Private message send the author a private message

portableparty 1928:19
I personally help build put together the pipe that runs a brewery here in the west suburbs of Minnesota and will not fill the growlers they gave me! I was very much let down!
11/17/2012 7:56:46 PM

premium
reggiedunlop 3121:142
Fully agree with the vote for your dollar comment! Its tough when you want a brewery to succeed...just make decent drinkable beer. But when they make drain pour quality sludge, its painful. Cheers to the folks who arent as lucky as we who are in or around large beer markets!
11/17/2012 8:00:13 PM

Originally posted by watson1977
Fully agree with the vote for your dollar comment! Its tough when you want a brewery to succeed...just make decent drinkable beer. But when they make drain pour quality sludge, its painful. Cheers to the folks who arent as lucky as we who are in or around large beer markets!

Yeah, and worse still between when you actually want a brewery to succeed is when they are the best of the worst type option. Your brain starts to do things to you after a while and tells you, no this beer is fine, good even. Then you remove yourself for a minute and go back and wonder what is going on.

Still in some of those markets, I still think baby steps are important.
11/17/2012 8:06:01 PM

premium
drowland 6100:172
Originally posted by lithy
Almost everyone in the Southeast.

It is one thing to enjoy supporting local and/or small business. I do.

It is quite another to actively give your money to a company that doesnít satisfy your needs as a customer.

Ultimately, you always have to vote with your dollar. If you donít vote for better beer, youíll get stuck with what you have for a long time.

I definitely disagree with that first sentence and hope RBWGJAX helps show that.

I support local a ton, but not just breweries.

That being said, I had a nice conversation with the owner of a well known bar in town recently about how silly this ídrink localí phenomenon seems to be. These businesses want everyone to drink local and yet they distribute... so... drink local... unless youíre out of town... drink us there, too... He quipped that he was going to hold a ídrink globally!í event.
11/17/2012 8:18:02 PM

premium
drowland 6100:172
There are also 2 or 3 breweries in town I literally never support because they donít keep up with other breweries on quality or variety. They donít need my support anyway.
11/17/2012 8:20:12 PM

Florida is not the southeast. ;) It is just an extension of the northeast, geographically misplaced.

Also excluded from that sentence is Asheville, just because theyíre all hippies.
11/17/2012 8:21:05 PM

premium
Reid 1925:45
If you include the Oregon i drink like 90% local, well worth it
11/17/2012 9:50:58 PM

premium
Drake 8617:479
I would give them feedback and/or understand that they might still be figuring things out. Iíd give them a second, or maybe a 3rd chance. If that didnít work, Iíd stop going.

Or, Iíd only go when friends wanted to go there (cough... South Street... cough...)
11/17/2012 10:47:14 PM

premium
GT2 8533:604
Youíre talking abt prism beer I know Watson

;)
11/17/2012 11:36:14 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights