RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

drowland and cbfobes invade ireland - 2014!

read 5867 times • 86 replies • posted 1/17/2013 7:55:51 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

premium
drowland 5998:172
Okay okay, this is a bit premature, and Iíll long forget this thread by then, but I canít hold it in anymore.

Myself and cbfobes (Brandon) will [hopefully] be in Ireland in June of 2014. Our wives are sisters and their family is taking us to Ireland on a big family vacation celebrating their heritage.

We would love some advice on things to do there, both beer related and not, and we are going to try to find a day to "escape" the family a bit to meet up with RateBeer folks, including those of you from the surrounding countries... I canít even imagine myself sitting with cgarvieuk!!!!

Anyway, cheers to well over a year from now!
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
TheHOFF43 1749:108
bump
1/17/2013 7:59:43 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
We surely will as well and we plan to have a great time!
1/17/2013 8:30:14 PM

premium
douglas88 5934:209
Make sure you message me closer to the date. I lived there for most of 5 years. Iíve been to every county. If you want to beat the crowds go in June. So many amazing places off the beaten track. The Aran Islands are a must. Connemara, Doolin, Dingle, the Rock of Cashel, Wicklow is great, of course the wilds of Donegal. Derry and Belfast are interesting.
1/17/2013 8:58:26 PM

premium
Sweet, thanks! June was actually the month we were told we were going, so thatís perfect!
1/17/2013 9:11:51 PM

premium
GT2 8380:586
I thought Craig lived in Scotland? Anyway, I thought best way to see Ireland was by bus, not private tour, just their nice bus system. Northern Ireland is definitely worth doing. Great sites to see culturally and geologically. Every town has itís charm even really small fishing villages like Dingle. And get ready because outside Dublin donít be ordering guinness. Gotta go Murphys or beamish.
1/17/2013 9:57:07 PM

premium
GT, itís hard to pinpoint, but a lot of what you say is weirdly direct and condescending. Of course Craig is from Scotland. When the fuck else will we be anywhere near there? And I wasnít planning on ordering Guinness? My bad. Iíll order the other two enormously famous and worldly available dry stouts. Never heard of them in my years in the business. I just hope I can find some Killianís!

Goddamn just let some locals chime in and give us a good time. Weíll bring tons of beer from FL amd WI!
1/17/2013 11:37:06 PM

premium
chriso 7347:371
Originally posted by drowland
Goddamn just let some locals chime in and give us a good time. Weíll bring tons of beer from FL amd WI!

We donít really have too many active members in Ireland, which may reflect the lamentable state of the beers scene there (until recently). Beersiveknown is in Northern Ireland but I think heís away on honeymoon at the moment. Garthicus is back in Dublin, but lived in Canada for a number of years until recently.

Two good beer info sources are
http://www.beoir.org/
http://thebeernut.blogspot.co.uk/

The big beer news in Ireland right now is
http://www.brewersguardian.com/brewing-features/breweries/1529.html
http://www.beoir.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9333&sid=ab15a5027a3dec8b587eb0d6506153b3
1/18/2013 2:04:15 AM

premium
Leighton 10781:588
I studied in Dublin for a semester and have seen a good chunk of the country. Iíll chime in with some suggestions at some point. (It appears that there isnít really any rush just yet.)

If you have the time, I would recommend a visit to London on one end of your trip. Flights from Ireland to the UK are pretty cheap, and London might have the best RB presence of any European city. Not to mention the myriad pubs or 30+ breweries that have opened in London in the last few years.
1/18/2013 2:20:32 AM

premium
cbfobes 2290:26
Originally posted by drowland
GT, itís hard to pinpoint, but a lot of what you say is weirdly direct and condescending. Of course Craig is from Scotland. When the fuck else will we be anywhere near there? And I wasnít planning on ordering Guinness? My bad. Iíll order the other two enormously famous and worldly available dry stouts. Never heard of them in my years in the business. I just hope I can find some Killianís!

Got buzzed quick last night Dr. Owl????

Very much looking forward to his even though itís WAY out there, I suppose I would rather have something planned then nothing at all.

1/18/2013 5:25:58 AM

kaufmanised 9:11
let me know closer the time iímn sure i can fill the trunk of my car with some beers and get the ferry over
1/18/2013 7:28:41 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers