Dry hopping pilsners

Reads 2362 • Replies 6 • Started Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:42:08 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 09:42 Thu 5/21/2015

How common is dry hopping in Czech Pils? German Pils (Munich, Dortmund, etc)? I assume for German Pils it would virtually never happen. I was just in the Czech Rep and definitely some micro breweries are dry hopping, but I don’t know how prevalent it is and if it is a new, or traditional thing.

How common is dry hopping in new world (I guess specifically the US) Pils?

I am going to do a talk on summer beers in a few weeks and this is a topic I wanted to cover.

Tim

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 10:21 Thu 5/21/2015

I’m 90% sure I was told by a Firestone Walker rep that their Pivo Pils is dry hopped.

I’d wager that it’s happening quite a bit with the newer American pilsners (like Pivo) that are essentially taking the IPA model and mapping it onto Pilsner ingredients.

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 10:42 Thu 5/21/2015

I’d be curious to have some insight into this as well. As far as I’ve ever heard, the practice is English in origin.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 11:27 Thu 5/21/2015

It’s pretty rare in Franconia, where brewers and drinkers prefer the hop character to come from isomerization both for taste and longevity.

Pivo actually used to have the words "Dry Hopped with Saphir" on the label before the latest redesign. It’s undoubtedly still dry hopped, and I find it most enjoyable at around 6-8 weeks after some of the dry hop rawness has faded from the nose.

Ragnampiza
beers 751 º places 20 º 13:14 Thu 5/21/2015

Pivo Pils came as an ispiration after Tipopils, which I’m sure it’s still not the first dry-hopped pils.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 15:00 Thu 5/21/2015

Originally posted by 3fourths
It’s pretty rare in Franconia, where brewers and drinkers prefer the hop character to come from isomerization both for taste and longevity.

Over complication. "Der Franke mag sein Bier süffig." Where süffig == smooth.

Franz Roppelt, when I told him about English dry hopping years ago, just shook his head and chuckled. "During lagering?"

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 15:02 Thu 5/21/2015

OTOH, flame-out or hop-stand hopping seems to be a traditional thing in German & Czech brewing. Dumping a load of hops in the cool ship or whirlpool, etc. Better than dry-hopping anyway!