Easy way to help the RateBeer Folding Team!

Reads 3690 • Replies 43 • Started Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:50:44 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

WillRunForBeer
beers 2859 º places 24 º 13:50 Wed 11/12/2014

Now there’s a super easy way to contribute ro the RateBeer Folding@Home team! Just use a Chrome Browser and point it to [URL=" http://folding.stanford.edu/nacl/?team=225053" target="_blank" target="_blank">Help the RateBeer F@H Team![/URL] then leave that page up while your computer is idle. The longer you leave the page up the better. When you want to pause contributing, just hit the "Stop Folding" button on the webpage, or close your browser window.

This page uses a Chrome widget to run small simulations, which depending on your system, may take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours to complete. By using the link above, your contribution will be credited to the RateBeer team.

While the widget is running, it will use your unused cpu capacity, up to 100%. This can result in higher cpu temps and higher energy consumption. That said, I have been running this on multiple machines (even a fanless laptop) for months with no noticible negative effects to the machines and any increase to my energy bills has been nominal. Your mileage may vary.

Some background:

The RateBeer Folding@Home team donates cpu/gpu cycles to aid medical research. The Ratebeer team is currently #361 of all the teams contributing, and gaining. I’d love to someday see RateBeer on the top 100 teams, and you can help!

Team members run protein folding simulations on their computers. These simulations help researchers find new ways to fight and control disease. Each simulation earns points, based on how complex the simulation is, and how quickly it is completed. Anyone who contributes under team #225053 adds their points to the RateBeer total. You can install the Folding @ Home client and join the team (please use your RateBeer name if you do), or you can simply use the link above in Chrome and your contribution will be anonymously credited to Team RateBeer.

Please join us!

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 15:34 Wed 11/12/2014

WillRunForBeer
beers 2859 º places 24 º 07:22 Thu 11/13/2014

True. Upload/download from the app is minimal.

Currently, the nacl client (linked above) seems to be pulling mostly simulations for Type II Diabetes research. Quote from the F@H site:

"These projects study hIAPP (human islet amyloid polypeptide, also called amylin) that is a misfolding peptide involved in Type II diabetes. Like other misfolding peptides, hIAPP is generally unstructured in water but adopts an alpha-helix structure (a right-handed spiral) when it binds to the cellular membrane. Around 95% of patients with Type II diabetes exhibit large deposits of misfolded hIAPP, clumped in a structure known as a beta sheet. Experiments show that this hIAPP aggregation can induce apoptotic cell-death in insulin-producing beta cells, an effect that may be relevant to the development of type 2 diabetes. We aim to understand the pathway of hIAPP aggregation in order to design drugs to prevent it."

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 07:29 Thu 11/13/2014

It downloads and uploads a few hundred kilobytes of proteins every time you finish a work unit which in some cases, takes days. My folding probably uses 10 megabytes of data month.

Great find on the chrome widget. that makes the barrier of entry much lower for people, indeed.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 07:27 Fri 11/14/2014

I opened this yesterday and it’s been running continuously for about 18 hours now. I’m getting these tiny projects that take about 45 minutes to complete and only give me a couple hundred points at a time, but it looks like I’ll be doing around 7k ppd.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 07:50 Fri 11/14/2014

Can I combine this with my current account so it adds to my daily production?

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 07:53 Fri 11/14/2014

Originally posted by TheHOFF43

Never mind, I figured it out.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 07:54 Fri 11/14/2014

Can I run the desktop app AND the chrome browser thing?

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 08:01 Fri 11/14/2014

Are you talking about running two instances on the same computer? Seems counter productive. Just let the one use as much processing power as it can.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 08:05 Fri 11/14/2014

Originally posted by t0rin0

Are you talking about running two instances on the same computer? Seems counter productive. Just let the one use as much processing power as it can.

I get too large of WUs on the desktop thing, this chrome deal might work better for me. I will investigate.

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 08:07 Fri 11/14/2014

Originally posted by t0rin0

But if I split my money up into TWO savings accounts, I can make DOUBLE the interest.