Edmund’s Brewhouse, Birmingham

Reads 2629 • Replies 14 • Started Thursday, June 25, 2015 10:51:59 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DanielBrown
beers 4668 º places 360 º 10:51 Thu 6/25/2015

Hello.

I don’t really understand the brewing process (I genuinely don’t).

Reading this review of a new ’brewhouse’ in Birmingham, I’m left wondering whether the process described allows the resulting beers to added to the RB database...... or not. Do they count as rebadges of an unspecified other beer?

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/edmunds-brewhouse-birmingham

What do you reckon? Too complicated for me.

imdownthepub
beers 26028 º places 2088 º 05:07 Fri 6/26/2015

You’re right Dan, life gets more and more complicated. I suspect, but will check it out, that this will be ok as after-all they are buying the raw materials from a source and ’brewing’ and fermenting, of sorts, on site. No skills required, but it is still brewing and presumably the water is their own. It sounds from this description, the malts and hops go in together. I wouldn’t hold out much hope for the final product though!

jackl
beers 8677 º places 740 º 05:14 Fri 6/26/2015

From the link:

they have installed a TrueBrew "Techno-Brewery"; an automated system capable of brewing 280 pints in two hours (plus a week for fermentation). The landlord/brewer buys recipe kits from TrueBrew, throws them into the kettle and presses start on the touchscreen. The machine then does all of the work, including cleaning.

Wow, that sounds awful.

cgarvieuk
beers 37595 º places 457 º 05:35 Fri 6/26/2015

IT sounds like they would be added to me, but anywhere using trubru kids would all be aliases of the Tru bru entry, as I think the US brewpub chains that make same beers were all aliases/

jjsint
beers 7710 º places 1334 º 05:35 Fri 6/26/2015

If we did away with all the beers which were brewed without any need for skill, well, there would be a much smaller database.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 07:48 Fri 6/26/2015

Originally posted by jjsint
If we did away with all the beers which were brewed without any need for skill, well, there would be a much smaller database.

You mean bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts? Yes you may have something there.

evilempire
beers 162 º places 110 º 07:51 Fri 6/26/2015

I like barrel aged imperial stouts as much as the next man (assuming the next man isn’t Craig), but there really is no need to drink anything out of a bourbon barrel. including bourbon.

jjsint
beers 7710 º places 1334 º 06:05 Mon 6/29/2015

Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by jjsint

You mean bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts? Yes you may have something there.

I’m with you there... I do like some BA beers, but I think I prefer my beers to taste like beer not port/sherry/whisky/vodka/etc. (and especially bourbon)

EdmundsBrew
16:03 Sat 7/25/2015

You don’t need to speculate about how the brewery at Edmunds Brewhouse works - the brewing process used at Edmunds Brewhouse is described in detail on the website www.edmundsbrewhouse.co.uk . This should answer many of the questions that have arisen.

May we suggest that people refrain from guessing at how it might be done and claiming their guesses to be the facts. The brewery is far removed from the home-brew kits suggested by some and brewing a cask of beer takes up to ten days - exactly the same as the big breweries.

The independent sign of quality - the Cask Marque - has been awarded to all the ales brewed at Edmunds Brewhouse.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 16:25 Sat 7/25/2015

Originally posted by EdmundsBrew
You don’t need to speculate about how the brewery at Edmunds Brewhouse works - the brewing process used at Edmunds Brewhouse is described in detail on the website www.edmundsbrewhouse.co.uk . This should answer many of the questions that have arisen.

May we suggest that people refrain from guessing at how it might be done and claiming their guesses to be the facts. The brewery is far removed from the home-brew kits suggested by some and brewing a cask of beer takes up to ten days - exactly the same as the big breweries.

The independent sign of quality - the Cask Marque - has been awarded to all the ales brewed at Edmunds Brewhouse.

Where is the brewing process described in detail? It all seems a bit vague to me.

Believe me there is nothing we would love more than a new microbrewery in Birmingham, a city for its size that is extremely under represented in this field.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40412 º places 1239 º 16:26 Sat 7/25/2015

Edmund Edmunds ??????? Who heeee??